Summer Rumour Mill

sage

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Perhaps not, but it's definitely a massive focus for most teams - according to what I can find online, 43.7% of all goals scored are from a cross. 90% of goals are scored from inside the area. However, the caveat to that is 1.6% of crosses end in a goal. 

Most Premier League teams are looking to put 20 crosses in a game, unless completely under the cosh. We are a major outlier (roughly 35 crosses a game). It's still one of the most effective ways of scoring in football. 

When you consider how Forest stayed up last season, incredibly deep defensively and speed on the counter. There isn't too much smart or intricate about that, but it's effective when done correctly. The goal against Arsenal at the weekend was a fantastic example - two fast players charging down the pitch and a ball into the box poked in. They're one of the teams that don't get many crosses into the box, though, as their starting position is incredibly deep. 

Only issue with that is at home as other teams will sit behind the ball altering our game plan which i can see us struggling with at home. The only time we had joy at Burton was when they were pushing for a equaliser and we hit them on the break. Warne and the team have to start finding ways to break teams down. 

Latest comments on transfer activity from Paul Warne, taken from this DET article;

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-paul-warne-8676298

Warne says he is still actively looking for further additions and says that could take him right up until deadline day.

"There isn't anything exciting to tell you," Warne told DerbyshireLive. "I am still trying to sign a central midfielder.

"I'd like another attacking option that we are trying to do. It could be pizza and fish and chips on transfer deadline day night.

"I know everyone thinks we have this pot of gold and everybody is going to come to Derby. It's not the case. I have a budget that is used up by the players we currently have.

"Whatever I have got left, I have got to try to bring players in who are better than we currently have. It isn't easy. If it was, they would be here.

"There are a lot of players who are free agents who will say 'yes I will come' but they've not had a pre-season, they've not played and even if I signed them, I just wouldn't waste the money.

"It's pointless bringing somebody in for the sake of it. It's a waste of David's (Clowes) money really. I need people who are going to compete.

"You keep looking at the Championship and Premier League squads and you'll look and see a player and think, well he's not played again, surely he wants to play a bit more.

"They weren't there two weeks ago, but they are becoming more apparent. The hard thing is a lot of players want to stay in the Championship as long as they can and think if I can just hang in there, I can get in the team."

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Latest comments on transfer activity from Paul Warne, taken from this DET article;

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-paul-warne-8676298

Warne says he is still actively looking for further additions and says that could take him right up until deadline day.

"There isn't anything exciting to tell you," Warne told DerbyshireLive. "I am still trying to sign a central midfielder.

"I'd like another attacking option that we are trying to do. It could be pizza and fish and chips on transfer deadline day night.

"I know everyone thinks we have this pot of gold and everybody is going to come to Derby. It's not the case. I have a budget that is used up by the players we currently have.

"Whatever I have got left, I have got to try to bring players in who are better than we currently have. It isn't easy. If it was, they would be here.

"There are a lot of players who are free agents who will say 'yes I will come' but they've not had a pre-season, they've not played and even if I signed them, I just wouldn't waste the money.

"It's pointless bringing somebody in for the sake of it. It's a waste of David's (Clowes) money really. I need people who are going to compete.

"You keep looking at the Championship and Premier League squads and you'll look and see a player and think, well he's not played again, surely he wants to play a bit more.

"They weren't there two weeks ago, but they are becoming more apparent. The hard thing is a lot of players want to stay in the Championship as long as they can and think if I can just hang in there, I can get in the team."

Don’t think we will see much if anything before deadline day 

38 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Reading between the lines our budget has already been consumed on our existing squad and we aren't going to get any players in better than the ones we already have with the pittance we have left in the kitty. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Reading between the lines our budget has already been consumed on our existing squad and we aren't going to get any players in better than the ones we already have with the pittance we have left in the kitty. 

Or unless we sell someone

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

Or unless we sell someone

Am not sure if that would help as didn't we already agree the amount of money we could spend with the EFL?

Am not sure whether it's DC being tight with the purse strings, the EFL restrictions or a bit of both. 

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Could be. Or it could be Warne downplaying expectations. We’ve just got to wait and see I guess. His comment about free agents is interesting as there are definitely still some out there who would help with our lack of depth in midfield and/or defence.

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

Only issue with that is at home as other teams will sit behind the ball altering our game plan which i can see us struggling with at home. The only time we had joy at Burton was when they were pushing for a equaliser and we hit them on the break. Warne and the team have to start finding ways to break teams down. 

If we'd put away any one of 4 early chances against Wigan, things could have been so different. In the first 15 minutes we broke them down 4 times giving Collins, Bradley and Fozzy great opportunities and a blistering shot from NML well saved.

22 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Could be. Or it could be Warne downplaying expectations. We’ve just got to wait and see I guess. His comment about free agents is interesting as there are definitely still some out there who would help with our lack of depth in midfield and/or defence.

I think that Warne is keeping his cards close to his chest, he doesn't want other clubs and players' agents thinking that he has money to burn.

Early days but even though I saw some positives on Saturday there's still not enough depth to this squad to get promoted. We're an injury away to a Bird or Hourihane in midfield or one of the strikers from being threadbare. And if that is the budget on the crowds we're getting I'd be very fearful of the future of the club to be brutally honest because the crowds won't grow in this division, the funds aren't enough to get promotion realistically and so we find ourselves in a bit of a predicament. Hopefully some of the financial nooses are legacy things from Mel's days which we'll get over one day rather than regular day-to-day expenses. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am not sure if that would help as didn't we already agree the amount of money we could spend with the EFL?

Am not sure whether it's DC being tight with the purse strings, the EFL restrictions or a bit of both. 

Depends if you can swap out a fringe player and replace them (and their wages) with a potential first teamer. 

It's a tall order, but it's probably the only way we're going to get new faces in.

6 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

Early days but even though I saw some positives on Saturday there's still not enough depth to this squad to get promoted. We're an injury away to a Bird or Hourihane in midfield or one of the strikers from being threadbare. And if that is the budget on the crowds we're getting I'd be very fearful of the future of the club to be brutally honest because the crowds won't grow in this division, the funds aren't enough to get promotion realistically and so we find ourselves in a bit of a predicament. Hopefully some of the financial nooses are legacy things from Mel's days which we'll get over one day rather than regular day-to-day expenses. 

We’ve still got Sibley and Barkhausen to come back in the team. 

We’re stronger than we were last season IMO. 

4 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I'd say the development of Dobbin and Roberts last season won't have gone unnoticed by their clubs. 

Dobbin? What development?

Roberts - absolutely - there is a reason I said midfield and attack but NOT defence.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This reinforces my view, that at this point he expected to be paying fees for players. He concluded all the frees expected to do with Washington.  

Now he is faced with signing frees who won't be fit for a month, paying small fees which would mean signing 2 players not 4 or loaning players that I think will be difficult with a) our style of play, b) Warne's selection policy as they would have to be very good as the loaning club will want playing time assurances and c) we may have to pay loan fees

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Even without EFL restrictions I can only see the club operating within it's means. Considering the horrendous financial position that Mr Morris left the club in, it's totally understandable that the current owner isn't going to allow the club to spend more than it earns. Supporters will have to get used to that, and Warne presumably has bought into it.  

25 minutes ago, sage said:

This reinforces my view, that at this point he expected to be paying fees for players. He concluded all the frees expected to do with Washington.  

Now he is faced with signing frees who won't be fit for a month, paying small fees which would mean signing 2 players not 4 or loaning players that I think will be difficult with a) our style of play, b) Warne's selection policy as they would have to be very good as the loaning club will want playing time assurances and c) we may have to pay loan fees

Is your view then, that the budget warne believed he had has been reduced, or wasn't there in the first place?

42 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Dobbin? What development?

Roberts - absolutely - there is a reason I said midfield and attack but NOT defence.

I felt that there was quite an improvement in Dobbin over the season, believing that he was on the brink of adding goals to his contribution towards the end of the season. A number of times he would cut in from the left and try and curl one inside the far post with a very deliberate shot, they never came off, but also they were never that far off target either.

33 minutes ago, europia said:

Even without EFL restrictions I can only see the club operating within it's means. Considering the horrendous financial position that Mr Morris left the club in, it's totally understandable that the current owner isn't going to allow the club to spend more than it earns. Supporters will have to get used to that, and Warne presumably has bought into it.  

How many L1 clubs do you think run at breakeven or better?