Summer Rumour Mill

sage

41 minutes ago, Srg said:

Can just mean panicking under pressure, too. Need calmness and confidence do what you want to do, and not treat it like a hot potato.

After those first two games, it will have been a hot potato. I’d think they were scared stiff of making another significant mistake. 

Perhaps they’ll relax a little if we win a few more. At the moment, they’ll know that the pressure is on them from all angles, 3 games in. 

Just now, Ram1988 said:

The priority needs to be a mobile box to box central midfielder.

I’m thinking the same. We do need another striker, ideally with pace as another option, but what we’ve got currently does offer a threat at this level, there’s better depth than last season with 3 senior strikers rather than 2, plus Sibley and Barkhuizen due back to add to the attacking options. The addition of another midfielder to complement Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, Smith and Thompson would improve the squad further and perhaps help us control the midfield a bit more when needed.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Any rumours…..BT/Simmo/Beryl…..HELP 😬

Absolutely nothing. Tbh the availability is pretty bare.

the only ones that might be of interest ( opinion)  are 

Coburn - loan 

Cosgrove- loan 

Cox LB - free 

Langstaff CM/CAM - free 

Abdulah Ba - CDM/CM - loan Sunderland 

lewis Bate CM - loan Leeds 

kobi Mainoo CM - loan Man U 

jebbison - CF - loan Sheffield United 

Chem Campbell - loan AM Wolves 

On 13/08/2023 at 09:18, Andrew3000 said:

He would fit as our genuine target man, upgrade on Collins. But Warne delighted me last week by bemoaning lack of real pace. Could be that he wants this pace in the 10 or LWB or midfield though, but it sounded in the attacking sense. Unless we are bringing in Cosgrove and pacey forward and letting Collins leave for Shrewsbury, which would seem harsh after his performance yesterday, but we need to be ruthless to improve those fine margins.  From Collins point of view,he may want a longer deal and we might not want to give him one because, if get promoted, he'll not be much use and if we don't, we'll want to upgrade anyway. 

On what basis do you consider Cosgrove to be an upgrade on Collins? He does have the advantage of being 6 years younger but from what I can see his stats over the last 3 years don't suggest that to be the casel

6 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Absolutely nothing. Tbh the availability is pretty bare.

the only ones that might be of interest ( opinion)  are 

Coburn - loan 

Cosgrove- loan 

Cox LB - free 

Langstaff CM/CAM - free 

Abdulah Ba - CDM/CM - loan Sunderland 

lewis Bate CM - loan Leeds 

kobi Mainoo CM - loan Man U 

jebbison - CF - loan Sheffield United 

Chem Campbell - loan AM Wolves 

You need to give your mate in the media dept a bell Simmo 😊

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

I didn't see the game Saturday as in Spain on holiday.   Have seen mention by some posters of too many long balls though and saw plenty of games last year where we totally bypassed the midfield to justify my comment.

There aren't any teams in the Prem who's main attacking tactic is to get it wide and get crosses in either.  I honestly don't think Warnes tactics are remotely like those employed by pretty much all of the teams in the Prem.

Perhaps not, but it's definitely a massive focus for most teams - according to what I can find online, 43.7% of all goals scored are from a cross. 90% of goals are scored from inside the area. However, the caveat to that is 1.6% of crosses end in a goal. 

Most Premier League teams are looking to put 20 crosses in a game, unless completely under the cosh. We are a major outlier (roughly 35 crosses a game). It's still one of the most effective ways of scoring in football. 

When you consider how Forest stayed up last season, incredibly deep defensively and speed on the counter. There isn't too much smart or intricate about that, but it's effective when done correctly. The goal against Arsenal at the weekend was a fantastic example - two fast players charging down the pitch and a ball into the box poked in. They're one of the teams that don't get many crosses into the box, though, as their starting position is incredibly deep. 

27 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

On what basis do you consider Cosgrove to be an upgrade on Collins? He does have the advantage of being 6 years younger but from what I can see his stats over the last 3 years don't suggest that to be the casel

Fair point, on reflection, just felt he looked good for Plymouth against us. I'm delighted with Collins' goal and the positive reports of his performance on Sat, but like a lot of people just saw last year that generally he was slow, didn't win a lot in the air, hold up play and touch not great. Scored some decent goals tbf but missed a lot of easier chances too. So, that's a long winded way of saying I just assumed Cosgrove was / is better at one or some of those things! So you may have a point, but as @Ghost of Clough pointed out, his record in terms of goals per minutes was good and likely better.

Edited by Andrew3000

Warne trying to sell the idea of taking a creative youngster on loan:

”Mr manager, we would be a great option for your kid. We make on average three passes before we lose possession but don’t worry, we will boot the ball up the field and then pressure their defence to get the ball back. So you’re playing will get plenty of change to influence the game”

If I had a midfielder or an attacker in my club, I wouldn’t look at Derby as an option at all.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m thinking the same. We do need another striker, ideally with pace as another option, but what we’ve got currently does offer a threat at this level, there’s better depth than last season with 3 senior strikers rather than 2, plus Sibley and Barkhuizen due back to add to the attacking options. The addition of another midfielder to complement Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, Smith and Thompson would improve the squad further and perhaps help us control the midfield a bit more when needed.

Well said. I feel at times we are too slow and sluggish in the middle of the park and we lack away who can run and drive the ball fowards.

I also agree that we ideally miss someone with pace upfront as well. So we can affectively hit teams on the break.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Problem there is the same one as trying to find a good striker.

Every team wants one, and the teams that have got one aren't just going to give them to us for nothing.

I agree but surely thats where our focus has to be. 

Just now, rammieib said:

”Mr manager, we would be a great option for your kid. We make on average three passes before we lose possession but don’t worry, we will boot the ball up the field and then pressure their defence to get the ball back. So you’re playing will get plenty of change to influence the game”

If I had a midfielder or an attacker in my club, I wouldn’t look at Derby as an option at all.

I’d counter that by saying that if the boy can play he will find like-minded players in Bird, Smith and Hourihane.

We have to get the ball on the deck to be successful and changing personnel is crucial to that aim.

Just now, rammieib said:

Ah yeah, but let's send them to them umpteen sides in the same league who play worse football than we do. We're midtable in possession and pass success, and by everyone's admission, we haven't been where we want to be performance wise yet, so there's no need to believe than at the very least the plan is to be better than this. Just a 5% rise in possession and 5% rise in pass success would put us top 5 in both categories... and we're currently taking an average of 2 games.

I went way too in depth to defend against a dumb doom mongering take.

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

The alternative is a Joey Barton-led Bristol Rovers... 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

And who is your club.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I'd say the development of Dobbin and Roberts last season won't have gone unnoticed by their clubs. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Perhaps not, but it's definitely a massive focus for most teams - according to what I can find online, 43.7% of all goals scored are from a cross. 90% of goals are scored from inside the area. However, the caveat to that is 1.6% of crosses end in a goal. 

Most Premier League teams are looking to put 20 crosses in a game, unless completely under the cosh. We are a major outlier (roughly 35 crosses a game). It's still one of the most effective ways of scoring in football. 

When you consider how Forest stayed up last season, incredibly deep defensively and speed on the counter. There isn't too much smart or intricate about that, but it's effective when done correctly. The goal against Arsenal at the weekend was a fantastic example - two fast players charging down the pitch and a ball into the box poked in. They're one of the teams that don't get many crosses into the box, though, as their starting position is incredibly deep. 

Talking of crosses, I remember Man Utd setting a record for attempting 81 crosses in a home draw against Fulham under David Moyes. I think the tactic was get it wide, aim for Felliaini in the box.

Too bad Fulham had 6ft 7inch Dan Burn at the time who apparently set a record for the most clearances.