Summer Rumour Mill

sage

2 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Interesting reading all the rumours about players being linked and liking to be missing out on supposedly. 

I look at Alfie may as an example and Charlton have agreed a fee and looks to be we haven’t competed with a bid. 

Wondering if maybe our business plan will hamper us again this season with players still in contract as Leigh Curtis has stated we can pay moderate transfer fees. Are we being priced out of deals or is it clowes just doesn’t want to spend money and will only look at loans and frees as he reluctantly brought us in the first place or are we just circling round at the moment waiting to see what’s out there. 

in regards to players on free transfers maybe they are getting told they are getting guaranteed football at other teams and like warne said he won’t guarantee anyone anything.

still get the feeling we are waiting for bids in for players like bird knight and sibley etc to recoup money to spend in the window but apart from knight haven’t even seen a made up rumour regards to the other two but still early days yet and window opens in a few days and hopefully we will see movement 

I think Clowes is a businessman.  He bought the club with his heart, but he will run it with his brain.

All spending needs to be worth it and balanced.  I don't see him wanting to make cash injections.  I suspect DC wants the club to break even on it's own regard - leaving him with an asset (club and ground), that should we get a promotion will increase in value.  

15 minutes ago, Oldben said:

James Collins scoring tally, at nearly 33 he will get slower ...

22/23 - 11 league goals for Derby.

21/22 - 3 championship goals.

20/21 - 10 championship goals.

19/20 - 14 championship goals

18/19 - 25 league one goals.

17/18 - 19 league two goals.

16/17 - 20 league Two goals

Also note that higher goal tallies were several years ago and in League 1 and 2, where technically it should be easier to score and yet last season in the league he scored 11 goals. That's not value for money when it comes to considering season ticket renewal.

Depends on whether you base the value of your season ticket renewal on the performance of a single player (bizarre concept) or the team as a whole. I’ve renewed mine and even if Collins only scores a dozen goals again I won’t be complaining provided I’m entertained/we make the play offs/ we get promoted (delete as appropriate).

Just thought I would check when our first summer (first team) signing was announced for the last 10 years:

2022 Jul 3 Tom Barkhuizen

2021 Aug 6 Ryan Allsop

2020 Feb 6 Mike te Wierik

2019 May 8 Graeme Shinnie

2018 Jul 20 Florian Jozefzoon

2017 Jul 3 Andre Wisdom

2016 Aug 27 Matej Vydra

2015 Jun 19 Chris Baird

2014 Jun 25 Zak Whitbread 

2013 May 7 Lee Grant

Absolutely no reason to start panicking quite yet, as only three seasons had we actually signed someone by now…

5 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Just thought I would check when our first summer (first team) signing was announced for the last 10 years:

2022 Jul 3 Tom Barkhuizen

2021 Aug 6 Ryan Allsop

2020 Feb 6 Mike te Wierik

2019 May 8 Graeme Shinnie

2018 Jul 20 Florian Jozefzoon

2017 Jul 3 Andre Wisdom

2016 Aug 27 Matej Vydra

2015 Jun 19 Chris Baird

2014 Jun 25 Zak Whitbread 

2013 May 7 Lee Grant

Absolutely no reason to start panicking quite yet, as only three seasons had we actually signed someone by now…

I get your point here, but you're not comparing apples with apples.

2021 & 2022 were heavily influenced by us being under a transfer embargo and/or in administration.

Prior to that we were making additions / improvements (well they were supposed to be!) to what were already full squads so only really needed to bring 2-3 in.

This pre-season we need to be looking at 10+ new signings, and with the aim set at automatic promotion, or at the worst a 3rd/4th placed finish, fans are wanting to see how the players we bring in match up with that target.  They want to see a clear improvement on the season just gone, and they want us to be linked with players they think can help us achieve that.

Again, I'm not advocating people being impatient, going into panic mode and slagging the club, manager et cetera off,  but I can nevertheless understand why some might be getting a little anxious already, even if it is ridiculously early.

I’m the first guy who loves the rumour mill, mainly because it keeps the most quiet weeks of the year ticking over, but it is worth remembering that we’ve had no concrete link to any of these players. This is agents talking to journalists who have seemingly linked Derby with every ‘wanted’ player in League 1 and 2 for reasons that are pretty obvious. Also it’s maybe worth pointing out that we’ve seen very little of all these players.

Warne has said he keeps his cards close to his chest on these matters and January proved we are going to linked with every player possible so I think we have to take it all the drama with a pinch of salt.

My guess is our starting 11 in August will have a good smattering of players we haven’t been linked with yet or wont be until they are announced officially.

20 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Agree. You have to admit that Rosenior was very good at bringing players in . McGoldrick was also a stunning signing.

I do wonder whether Rooney had any influence on some of last summer's signings, I would imagine that a number of the signings were lined up before he decided to leave the club.

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I do wonder whether Rooney had any influence on some of last summer's signings, I would imagine that a number of the signings were lined up before he decided to leave the club.

He most likely did, however they could always have opted out of the move once he left had they so wished, yet they didn't...

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

Must have been minimal influence if any then, as we nailed most of our targets. Not sure what influence you think Rooney retained after his departure. The evidence points to little, if any, to my way of thinking.

Derby have been very good in recent seasons at not letting much out with regards to info around potential signings. Often we only seem to hear the day it’s announced.

Had me wondering about all these different players we’re being linked with now. The story seems to be that these players are going to other clubs, rejecting us. But this info will be coming from the players, agents, other clubs. Not Derby. We still don’t know who Derby are actually after and won’t until the day they sign, in all likelihood.

I'm not too worried about players yet, as many reasoned posters have also said

We need to remember we are the biggest club in the league with potentially the biggeat budget therefore most agents are going to put our name in the mix to get better deals for their players.

I think the players we're actually close to bringing in, their agents will keep their mouths shut as unless a Champ club is in the mix we're probably the best club for their player