Summer Rumour Mill

sage

12 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We were offering more money. He didn't leave for financial reasons.

Exactly, he learned last summer as he described waiting for calls that never came, that if he signed 1 year with us theres no guarantees he'd have offers again in a years time. Take the 2 years whilst it's there 

11 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Really?

Rodriguez currently isn't a league 2 player he is non-league, he has just had a decent season, but in non-league.

Assuming we are even interested, Derby County, with a stadium capable of 30k fans, a training ground to envy and a move to a club half hour down the road.

If he chose Oxford over Derby, after Roberts chose Brizzle over Derby and McG chose Notts County over Derby, at some point you have to wonder.

It isn't money, it isn't location...and surely McG would have told him how amazing it is to work with Warne.

Unless we see a whole raft of other prospects choosing other league 1 or league 2 clubs ahead of us then, IMO, there is no need to panic or begin to wonder if there is something else they don’t like about Derby.
Roberts isn’t really a shock is it? Brizzle quite possibly offered him more money and convinced him that the Championship is the place to be. McGoldrick sounds like it was probably down to two factors - a 2 year contract v one and the chance to end his career at the team he supports. Even Rodriques, if he doesn’t chose us do we know it’s not money or term of contract? You’d like to think we could out bid Oxford but maybe we’ll choose not to.

Do we even know that we’re seriously interested in Rodriques? Is there anything source more reliable than media speculation, which may be fuelled by his agent to bump up the wages on offer? 

Edited by Tamworthram

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Unless we see a whole raft of other prospects choosing other league 1 or league 2 clubs ahead of us then, IMO, there is no need to panic or begin to wonder if there is something else they don’t like about Derby.
Roberts isn’t really a shock is it? Brizzle quite possibly offered him more money and convinced him that the Championship is the place to be. McGoldrick sounds like it was probably down to two factors - a 2 year contract v one and the chance to end his career at the team he supports. Even Rodriques, if he doesn’t chose us do we know it’s not money or term of contract? You’d like to think we could out bid Oxford but maybe we’ll choose not to.

Do we even know that we’re seriously interested in Rodriques? Is there anything source more reliable than media speculation, which may be fuelled by his agent to bump up the wages on offer? 

There’s been one semi-reputable source which was Pete O’Rourke on FootyInsider. There’s every chance it’s just a media site generating clicks by using our name along with a few other clubs, or it’s his agent generating interest by leaking names. All that article says is us and a handful of clubs are “interested in Rodrigues”, nothing concrete, no talk of offering contracts. The rest of the noise is Twitter chat and several accounts regurgitating the FootyInsider story. 
There is as much chance of us not being in for Rodrigues as there is that we are, for what it’s worth I think he’s the kind of transfer we should be considering alongside more established/capable players. Plenty of goal involvements, on a free, relatively low wages, however no guarantee that the club view him as a good option. 

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Starting to look that way.

According to a friend we're in advanced talks with "at least 5 players you'd have heard of" about joining when their contracts at their current clubs expire at the end of the month. Didn't go in to any more details 🤣 No need to panic yet. COYR 🐑

1 hour ago, Srg said:

It’s based upon fact of today’s current date.

If we end up signing no one or waiting til the final week of pre season then have your moans. 

Most posts on here are based on opinions, not fact. The only facts we have at the moment are:

1) we have not signed anybody, but the strongest rumour is our first signing will be Rotherham’s reserve keeper.

2) we couldn’t convince McGoldrick to continue the project.

3) we seem to have missed out on Roberts who it might have been thought would have been a target for us.

4) Hourihane didn’t give a convincing answer that he will be with us come September.

5) it is only 10 June, and the window has not opened yet/players are still on holiday.

6) it is some 2 months before said window bangs shut.

I am happy to consider a wide range of differing opinion at the moment. However, personally, I will judge Warne on his achievements (albeit he really is not my ‘cup of tea’). The key benchmarks for me being what the squad looks like come September, and where we are placed in the league come December.

Edited by i-Ram

9 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

According to a friend we're in advanced talks with "at least 5 players you'd have heard of" about joining when their contracts at their current clubs expire at the end of the month. Didn't go in to any more details 🤣 No need to panic yet. COYR 🐑

Thank you - dont get it. Adore Didzy and admire him for going back to his old club. Good luck to him. Roberts great at times but he was on loan - thats what loans usually do having showcased themselves at the loan club.
Then people have melt downs about people who may not be signing who we dont know we were actually ever interested in as it suits an agenda. Twitter is even worse. 

38 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Most posts on here are based on opinions, not fact. The only facts we have at the moment are:

1) we have not signed anybody, but the strongest rumour is our first signing will be Rotherham’s reserve keeper.

2) we couldn’t convince McGoldrick to continue the project.

3) we seem to have missed out on Roberts who it might have been thought would have been a target for us.

4) Hourihane didn’t give a convincing answer that he will be with us come September.

5) it is only 10 June, and the window has not opened yet/players are still on holiday.

6) it is some 2 months before said window bangs shut.

I am happy to consider a wide range of differing opinion at the moment. However, personally, I will judge Warne on his achievements (albeit he really is not my ‘cup of tea’). The key benchmarks for me being what the squad looks like come September, and where we are placed in the league come December.

No rational minded fan is arguing with your last point there. Problem is, many aren’t being rational and that is who my post was aimed at. 

I know Big Trav has hit the bar a few times recently with his Inside Information, but don’t despair -It’s a Red hot day , pub gardens are open and he will be out “Putting the squeeze “ on his informants! Don’t be suprised if he finds something juicy to make us all tingle by the end of the day.

FFS the transfer window isnt even open, yet people are moaning.  The loss of Didzy is a blow, but, we were not going to give him a 2 year deal.  He's gone, lets get over it.

Warnes track record with limited funds speaks for itself.  Everyone knows we need lots of signings, some will take time as they are sought after players.

Stay patient and give both the club and our manager a chance!

7 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

FFS the transfer window isnt even open, yet people are moaning.  The loss of Didzy is a blow, but, we were not going to give him a 2 year deal.  He's gone, lets get over it.

Warnes track record with limited funds speaks for itself.  Everyone knows we need lots of signings, some will take time as they are sought after players.

Stay patient and give both the club and our manager a chance!

Exactly this....people were dissing a reject keeper from the wendies last year , didn't turn out too bad did he ?

https://the72.co.uk/2023/06/11/charlton-athletic-confident-of-signing-striker-ahead-of-derby-county/

Given our current situation, I wouldn't blame pw if he decided to go all in for Alfie May.

Zero reason a club lower than us, like Charlton should beat us to his signature.

I'd only be unhappy with pw if he doesn't consider Collins as less than useful as a player in a promotion attempt year.

We don't need a player who might score 12 goals, we need a player who's capable of scoring 20 goals in a season.

We also need more goals from our midfielder, as previous posters have stated.

I think we actually need 2 striker who can score more than 15 goals in a season.

On top of that our defense, basically neede a total rebuild. 

I think we would be OK signing 8 new players this summer or at least 6 new players.

As such we need to see immediate movement in the transfer market.

1 hour ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Who is the friend Black and White 🐏 😁

36 minutes ago, Oldben said:

https://the72.co.uk/2023/06/11/charlton-athletic-confident-of-signing-striker-ahead-of-derby-county/

Given our current situation, I wouldn't blame pw if he decided to go all in for Alfie May. 

Zero reason a club lower than us, like Charlton should beat us to his signature.

I'd only be unhappy with pw if he doesn't consider Collins as less than useful as a player in a promotion attempt year.

We don't need a player who might score 12 goals, we need a player who's capable of scoring 20 goals in a season.

We also need more goals from our midfielder, as previous posters have stated.

I think we actually need 2 striker who can score more than 15 goals in a season.

On top of that our defense, basically neede a total rebuild. 

I think we would be OK signing 8 new players this summer or at least 6 new players.

As such we need to see immediate movement in the transfer market.

Regarding Alfie May: It depends on what you mean by “go all in”. I wouldn’t want us to offer silly money. As an aside, he strikes me as the kind of player you hate when he’s playing against you (he struck me as a moaning cheating bar steward last season) but you love when he’s in your team.

Regarding “a player who might score 12 goals……”, McGoldrick only managed double figures three times in his long career prior to last season and that worked out OK. Collins has managed it 8 times including 5 consecutive seasons fairly recently until his barren season at Cardiff. In fact, including last season, he has scored 12 or more in 6 out of his last 7 seasons and yet I think I know which of the two most people would prefer.

Edited by Tamworthram

James Collins scoring tally, at nearly 33 he will get slower ...

22/23 - 11 league goals for Derby.

21/22 - 3 championship goals.

20/21 - 10 championship goals.

19/20 - 14 championship goals

18/19 - 25 league one goals.

17/18 - 19 league two goals.

16/17 - 20 league Two goals

Also note that higher goal tallies were several years ago and in League 1 and 2, where technically it should be easier to score and yet last season in the league he scored 11 goals. That's not value for money when it comes to considering season ticket renewal.

Interesting reading all the rumours about players being linked and liking to be missing out on supposedly. 

I look at Alfie may as an example and Charlton have agreed a fee and looks to be we haven’t competed with a bid. 

Wondering if maybe our business plan will hamper us again this season with players still in contract as Leigh Curtis has stated we can pay moderate transfer fees. Are we being priced out of deals or is it clowes just doesn’t want to spend money and will only look at loans and frees as he reluctantly brought us in the first place or are we just circling round at the moment waiting to see what’s out there. 

in regards to players on free transfers maybe they are getting told they are getting guaranteed football at other teams and like warne said he won’t guarantee anyone anything.

still get the feeling we are waiting for bids in for players like bird knight and sibley etc to recoup money to spend in the window but apart from knight haven’t even seen a made up rumour regards to the other two but still early days yet and window opens in a few days and hopefully we will see movement