Kelle Roos

Carl Sagan

Had Sky Sports on in the background with the live Saturday roundup, and was surprised to hear the reporter say "a billiant save by Kelle Roos". Apparently playing for Aberdeen, third in the Scottish Premiership (a long way back) and on the fringes of European football. 

19 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Had Sky Sports on in the background with the live Saturday roundup, and was surprised to hear the reporter say "a billiant save by Kelle Roos". Apparently playing for Aberdeen, third in the Scottish Premiership (a long way back) and on the fringes of European football. 

Yep he’s been their number one all season 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Saved a pen towards the end to gain a crucial point on the push towards Europe. 

26 minutes ago, JfR said:

Far cry from the opinion some had of him here:

He always has been a fantastic s*** stopper. When we first signed him, his distribution and catching from catches were two of his strengths too. He seemed to lose confidence in catching the ball after the Playoff Final, but improved a lot towards the end of his spell with us.

He was my number 1 keeper and wouldn't have wasted time or budget on Hamer, Marshall or Allsop.

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He always has been a fantastic s*** stopper. When we first signed him, his distribution and catching from catches were two of his strengths too. He seemed to lose confidence in catching the ball after the Playoff Final, but improved a lot towards the end of his spell with us.

He was my number 1 keeper and wouldn't have wasted time or budget on Hamer, Marshall or Allsop.

Agree he had improved a lot from his early days, but on crosses Dracula is less frightened of them

I always said Roos was a good keeper and was always abused for it. Our fans treated him awfully. Imagine booing your own keeper and ironically cheering every time he caught the ball, some of the most embarrassing stuff our fan base has done, what wonders that will do to a keepers confidence. 

Also I've just checked, statistically the best shot stopper in the Scottish Prem this season.

Edited by Jubbs

Decent shot stopper but was useless at crosses. 

Made a clanger in the play of final and needed a solid season the following year to erase those demons. Sadly this didn’t happen and the fans went in on him. 

Good for him for moving and improving. But don’t think we as fans need to be too self critical, he was a liability towards the end. Anyway, the same thing happened to Wildsmith being not rated at Weds and we’re the beneficiaries. It’s football. 

14 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Decent shot stopper but was useless at crosses. 

Made a clanger in the play of final and needed a solid season the following year to erase those demons. Sadly this didn’t happen and the fans went in on him. 

Good for him for moving and improving. But don’t think we as fans need to be too self critical, he was a liability towards the end. Anyway, the same thing happened to Wildsmith being not rated at Weds and we’re the beneficiaries. It’s football. 

"The fans" were on his back the first game of the following season.

On 13/05/2023 at 18:32, JfR said:

Far cry from the opinion some had of him here:

I like Roos and think he is a good keeper, but being the best keeper in the Scottish Leagues isn't exactly an accolade. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Preventing 10 goals is genuinely elite standard.
No one in in top 5/6 leagues prevented more, closest was Alisson (who's one of, if not the best keeper in the world).

I really liked Roos.

If he could claim crosses and command his area, he would have easily been Prem quality. So it doesn't surprise me at all to see him doing well in the SPL.

52 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Preventing 10 goals is genuinely elite standard.
No one in in top 5/6 leagues prevented more, closest was Alisson (who's one of, if not the best keeper in the world).

What is a prevented goal? I know it sounds obvious but some (e.g. Joe Hart) have a negative number and I'm not sure quite how that can be?

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

What is a prevented goal? I know it sounds obvious but some (e.g. Joe Hart) have a negative number and I'm not sure quite how that can be?

It's post shot expected goals - goals conceded.

So expected goals gives the quality of a chance based on the position (mainly), but post shot takes into account things like the trajectory of the ball post shot, so a shot in the top corner will have a higher PSxG compared to a shot in the middle of the goal. 

A negative number will mean they've conceded more than they would expect a goalkeeper to save based on thousands of other saves from similar shots. 

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

It's post shot expected goals - goals conceded.

So expected goals gives the quality of a chance based on the position (mainly), but post shot takes into account things like the trajectory of the ball post shot, so a shot in the top corner will have a higher PSxG compared to a shot in the middle of the goal. 

A negative number will mean they've conceded more than they would expect a goalkeeper to save based on thousands of other saves from similar shots. 

Thank you - sounds a little like the concept of Shots Earned in golf where you should be able to understand how many shots it would take you to get down from, for example, the bunker. Joe Hart doesn't come out of it well.