Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

This is the lad Eric Steele has been banging on about saying we should sign. Looks a real player and someone who deserves his shot at a big club. Could be a great move. Doesn’t matter that he’s 29, he could be a late developer and make an impact at a high level later in his career, with the right attitude and hunger to do well he’s probably got 3 good seasons left in him. We will be signing players 29-30 and 30+ this window, the majority need to be 22-28 but doesn’t mean they all need to be. Hope we get him 

23 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

This is the lad Eric Steele has been banging on about saying we should sign. Looks a real player and someone who deserves his shot at a big club. Could be a great move. Doesn’t matter that he’s 29, he could be a late developer and make an impact at a high level later in his career, with the right attitude and hunger to do well he’s probably got 3 good seasons left in him. We will be signing players 29-30 and 30+ this window, the majority need to be 22-28 but doesn’t mean they all need to be. Hope we get him 

Me too. I think he would be an ideal signing. Someone who is proven in league one, hungry and wanting to make a step up in his career. 

Direct, quick, eager runner and has a great shot. A bit like an upgraded and slimmer version of Jack Marriott. If he could get another 20-goal season, IMO the touted 150K would be well below market value.

I'd assume he would fit in well for Warne-ball as well.

15 hours ago, Sparkle said:

What I do know is that some of his strike were of high quality last season and I don’t give out compliments that easily - if he can score inside the six yard area then that would help - definitely not a hold up, flick it on type of forward. How we would fit him in would be interesting - yes we should be interested and yes getting out of league one and into the championship is what we are trying to achieve 

Scored from almost identical positions to McGoldrick (I think he scored 1 goal less in the end).

How would he cope with having less space against more compact defences? Would this be offset enough by being given more opportunities to score in a better side?

Quite a lot of age related comments, isn't he a good 6 years younger than didzy, 3 years younger than Collins? 

Yes we need more of the bulk of our squad in that age profile, but got to work around who we can get in. Maybe if didzy leaves we'll replace with younger as well and everyone complaining about May's age will presumably be happy, but then we'll definitely need a goalscorer regardless of anything else 

3 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

Quite a lot of age related comments, isn't he a good 6 years younger than didzy, 3 years younger than Collins? 

Yes we need more of the bulk of our squad in that age profile, but got to work around who we can get in. Maybe if didzy leaves we'll replace with younger as well and everyone complaining about May's age will presumably be happy, but then we'll definitely need a goalscorer regardless of anything else 

Think its all to do with finances, if we get him for £200k then even if he's Conor Doyle mk2 then its no harm no foul. If the fee is £750k upwards then we need to do every bit of research to ensure that our decision in signing him is justified. 

Personally i wouldn't pay over half a mil but providing its less than that then he's worth the gamble.

3 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

Totally agree. Alfie May is 26 days older than Harry Kane, and Kane doesn't look over the hill to me!

I've just watched his goals from last season, are people really saying we shouldn't be signing a player like this? 

Decent pace, playing off the shoulder, different to what we have already, genuinely two footed so a threat inside and out....

Ffs he's only 29, and has clearly improved as he's got his prime years the last couple of seasons...

Jesus, we're a league one side, who are you expecting us to sign that's going to be better than a 20 goal, in the same league, striker? 

2 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

I've just watched his goals from last season, are people really saying we shouldn't be signing a player like this? 

Decent pace, playing off the shoulder, different to what we have already, genuinely two footed so a threat inside and out....

Ffs he's only 29, and has clearly improved as he's got his prime years the last couple of seasons...

Jesus, we're a league one side, who are you expecting us to sign that's going to be better than a 20 goal, in the same league, striker? 

Exactly we need to be realistic. If he had his goal scoring record last season but was only 20 we wouldn't have a chance of securing his signature.

Who doesn’t want a player who can score 20+ goals for a team that finished 16th in League 1? Surely with better players around him he’ll excel even more? 
This is the standard we are at now and we need to sign players who are proven at this level to get us out this league. Alfie May is the perfect player

12 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

Will he suit the system? Fewest headers won and the worst for aerial duels in the entire Football League. How will cope with more compact defences which are sitting deeper than the more open defences playing high lines than he's used to?

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Will he suit the system? Fewest headers won and the worst for aerial duels in the entire Football League. How will cope with more compact defences which are sitting deeper than the more open defences playing high lines than he's used to?

One would hope Derby won’t be lumping up to him. It would just be nice to have someone who takes up good positions in the box when we attack. 
Also someone who can capitalise on knockdowns from set pieces.

We can’t write May off until we know who else we might be signing.