Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I think two words define this season: fine margins. Since February, we’ve fallen on the wrong side of them every time. 

The players gave everything today and the performance was a creditable one. The game hinged on one mistake and sometimes in football that’s all it takes.

Some might deem this season a failure and the anti-Warne sentiment will no doubt be in overdrive over the coming days and weeks, but it’s needless.

Personally I don’t think at any point we’ve looked like one of the three best teams in the division, so I don’t think there should be much of a hangover if any at all. The signs have been there that it is simply one season too soon.

We just have to lick our wounds, regroup quickly, have a positive rebuild over the summer and go out and finish in the top two in 23-24.

Not going into the Championship with this group of players and under financial restrictions could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I said this a few weeks ago and the sentiment remains - this is where Warne’s work really starts.

Fine margins? You sure it isn’t something more to do with the 2 wins in 15 games against top half sides under Paul Warne?

There is a reason why our form against the better sides in this league under Warne is pathetic.

You can’t claim fine margins over 15 games.

54 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Some might deem this season a failure and the anti-Warne sentiment will no doubt be in overdrive over the coming days and weeks, but it’s needless.

There's no 'might' about it - it is a failure. Warne quite rightly admits as much in his post-match interview (link below - about 4 mins in & end of interview also) & had been making similar comments in the past few weeks.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/05/sheffield-wednesday-a-reaction-paul-warne

Rosenior's last game in charge left us in 7th place, outside the playoffs on goal difference. When Warne was appointed to much fanfare from the club referencing his promotion record, no-one would have regarded finishing in the same position as success.

Your point about fine margins appears to absolve Warne of any responsibility for this late season collapse. His job is to get results, he has not done so & the timing very much correlates with playing better teams. We haven't been good enough over his stint in charge & he in particular has not been good enough. This season has been a missed opportunity.

image.png.a7f452341d2bb41b50b2e4a5937aae29.png

Been very busy today - I have just seen that decision to give a penalty  what a disgrace by their player and a terrible decision by the referee again against us. To make it worse I have just seen the highlights from the Barnsley game who should have had two stonewall penalties against Peterborough. 
positives - it now saves me a lot of money in May ! 
over the season we have had the most dreadful decisions go against us repeatedly whilst we have simply not put the ball in the net often enough and we easily could have had an extra 20-25 points but we are where we are so let’s see who wants to stay and who we can get to improve the team.

I’m not too down. It’s a pity but in reality we were short of pace, power and finishing up front, short on numbers in general and short in wide defensive positions. Small squad with a few quality players. Nearly made it and they all worked their socks off. I just hope we can keep Cashin, Knight and Wildsmith. Pretty sure Didsy will stay for an Indian summer because of the locality and he’s clearly enjoyed himself. To those not liking the football, truth is there isn’t a Warneball yet. There were games where we played long and ugly - and looked lousy at it. There were also games where we did tippy tappy and looked more than respectable. We have in all those games looked hungry which you need if you want to succeed. 

Ack .. you know what, I am looking forward to pre season, transfer chatter and planning for the next phase of our recovery. 

If we look at the hand of cards we had 12 months ago I’d say we played them as well as could be expected. I am not quite as edgy about players being nicked for rock bottom prices because the market and the game has changed since Covid. Unless a prem or parachute club wants someone I don’t think there is as much money around as folk think. 

I guess all will be revealed in the fullness of time. COYR

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

There's no 'might' about it - it is a failure. Warne quite rightly admits as much in his post-match interview (link below - about 4 mins in & end of interview also) & had been making similar comments in the past few weeks.

Rosenior's last game in charge left us in 7th place, outside the playoffs on goal difference. When Warne was appointed to much fanfare from the club referencing his promotion record, no-one would have regarded finishing in the same position as success.

Your point about fine margins appears to absolve Warne of any responsibility for this late season collapse. His job is to get results, he has not done so & the timing very much correlates with playing better teams. We haven't been good enough over his stint in charge & he in particular has not been good enough. This season has been a missed opportunity.

Warn tried his best with players he had to work with he not had a chance bring in players he wants too come into the club.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Fine margins? You sure it isn’t something more to do with the 2 wins in 15 games against top half sides under Paul Warne?

There is a reason why our form against the better sides in this league under Warne is pathetic.

You can’t claim fine margins over 15 games.

But you can claim fine margins in the games we drew or lost against all the sides in the league, where fine margins are relevant.

Under Rosenior if we’d won away at Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, managed to draw against Charlton (or win with the chances we created), got something from the home game with Plymouth, drawn or won away at Lincoln we would have been better off in the final table.

Under Warne, if we’d beaten the likes of Bristol Rovers, Burton, Exeter, Lincoln and Morecambe we’d be better off.
You can bang the drum about your “flat track bully” theory over and over again, the reality is we didn’t win enough games against ALL the teams in this league across the WHOLE season.
That’s how it works, you play every team twice, and all different factors contribute to the results you get against those opponents.
Over the course of the season we have had some good results, and some bad, under 2 different managers, and we didn’t quite do enough. 

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But you can claim fine margins in the games we drew or lost against all the sides in the league, where fine margins are relevant.

Under Rosenior if we’d won away at Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, managed to draw against Charlton (or win with the chances we created), got something from the home game with Plymouth, drawn or won away at Lincoln we would have been better off in the final table.

Under Warne, if we’d beaten the likes of Bristol Rovers, Burton, Exeter, Lincoln and Morecambe we’d be better off.
You can bang the drum about your “flat track bully” theory over and over again, the reality is we didn’t win enough games against ALL the teams in this league across the WHOLE season.
That’s how it works, you play every team twice, and all different factors contribute to the results you get against those opponents.
Over the course of the season we have had some good results, and some bad, under 2 different managers, and we didn’t quite do enough. 

How about this the lads not had a preseason in years and we were playing catch up all season diserpointing to miss out of play offs but finnish 7th is a good effort all round.

So completely and utterly gutted, particularly given I actually fancied us over two legs against our opponents today... Alas it wasn't to be

But proud of the fact we were in the mix come the final game, especially given the way some people had written off any hope of us going straight back up

The playoffs would've been great but this season was always about steadying the ship and setting the club right, which I think for the most part has happened

And we go again in August

COYR

26 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne took 50 points from 22 games against bottom half sides. That’s championship winning form.

There is a reason why we only won two from 15 against top half sides. That isn’t fine margins. There is a fundamental issue there.

Our results against bottom half sides has been good enough.

Our results against the top half sides is the reason why we have missed out.

35 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Reciprocally you've cheered my evening up with your tedious, predictable claptrap.

You do have some uses after all 🤣

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Warne took 50 points from 22 games against bottom half sides. That’s championship winning form.

There is a reason why we only won two from 15 against top half sides. That isn’t fine margins. There is a fundamental issue there.

No matter how many times you make that statement I will not accept it as true. Actually, perhaps I would if my expectations had been top 2, but even then it’s not that convincing.

Mathematically it doesn’t matter where the points come from overall. Yes if we’d had taken more points off those “top” sides it would have helped, but we’d have needed a further 21/22 points to get into the top 2 according to how the league finished.
Theoretically we could have picked up those 21 points against a number of lesser sides and still had the same results against the top sides, it would have made us top 2 and confirmed your argument is a moot point. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

No matter how many times you make that statement I will not accept it as true.

Mathematically it doesn’t matter where the points come from overall. Yes if we’d had taken more points off those “top” sides it would have helped, but we’d have needed a further 21/22 points to get into the top 2 according to how the league finished.
Theoretically we could have picked up those 21 points against a number of lesser sides and still had the same results against the top sides, it would have made us top 2 and confirmed your argument is a moot point. 

I wouldn't bother - it's like debating with a jelly. You could just as easily argue that it was the 2 points thrown away against MK Dons which ultimately stopped us getting into the playoffs.

Those timewasters have been relegated so the day hasn't been a total disappointment - hope they drop into the National League at the end of next season and continue to plummet until they disappear altogether.

I hope Bolton win the playoffs now we can't.

15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The reason is .. on the balance of resources and opportunities available we are a 7th placed side. The fact that better teams beat us isn’t an issue, that’s what happens. If we had beaten them we wouldn’t be 7th .. it’s a fact of life, it reflects our top trumps  hand. Trying to make some pseudo scientific theory about it just about sums up the level of your intellect. Oh a Modeo won’t beat a Type R civic at 0-60 .. well I never. Top sides beating sides lower in the pecking order ? Wow ! Such insight. 

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Reciprocally you've cheered my evening up with your tedious, predictable claptrap.

You do have some uses after all 🤣

Ah, good old ad-hominem in the absence of argument 👍

You're having a mare today 😆

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

This all stems back to you getting all bent out of shape as I had the temerity to call you out on a post you made a few weeks ago.

Get over it. 

Good grief, you're really not taking today well are you? 

I can see you're desperately trying to turn this personal & away from the discussion at hand; Warne's performance. Always happy to discuss the football, not interested in the childish petulance. To return the advice, get over it 👍