Very sad news

As I am sure you are all aware, there were two extremely serious injuries yesterday to their gallant numbers 22 and 33.

It was heartbreaking to see the 33 crawl pitifully back on to the pitch so he could reach a teammate and whisper his last words to pass on to his wife and children. The number 22 had a serious head injury requiring extensive physio work on his leg and again only the miraculous intervention of the highly trained medical staff delayed serious harm.

However, a friend of mine who works at the Royal, has reported that neither is likely to make it through another night. Can we please come together as a football family to pray hard for these brave warriors - real men - who gave so much to the game that we all love. 

That time wasting may have just helped them walk away with what could be an extremely valuable point. They have played a game more than 2 of the bottom 4 and now 4 points clear. 

On the flip side, we may have scored and put us back in the top 6.

Annoying I know, I’m not sure MK Dons players, staff and fans will be overly bothered by our annoyance though.

If it comes down to seeing out the last game of the season, fully expect our players will take part some dark arts and gamesmanship, getting us over the line into the top 6.

9 minutes ago, David said:

That time wasting may have just helped them walk away with what could be an extremely valuable point. They have played a game more than 2 of the bottom 4 and now 4 points clear. 

On the flip side, we may have scored and put us back in the top 6.

Annoying I know, I’m not sure MK Dons players, staff and fans will be overly bothered by our annoyance though.

If it comes down to seeing out the last game of the season, fully expect our players will take part some dark arts and gamesmanship, getting us over the line into the top 6.

No, I’m sorry - it’s cheating and I am sick of watching it. Eddie Howe’s Burnley team stood out as despicable cheats but now we see it every week. Players holding their heads so the ref stops the game only to have the physio look at their foot, two players simultaneously needing treatment for no reason, players crawling on to the pitch to get treatment and the weak refs that let them get away with it, shoe laces needing tying, players with cramp, players getting cramp whilst aiding other players with cramp, goalkeepers told to feign injury whilst there is an impromptu team talk and re-organisation - it’s cheating. What makes it worse are the s*** refs who happily let it happen. If you want treatment and you are on the touch line having just crawled on to the pitch, crawl off it again. I’m sick and tired of watching it and this year has been far worse than anything I can ever remember. 

Just now, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

No, I’m sorry - it’s cheating and I am sick of watching it. Eddie Howe’s Burnley team stood out as despicable cheats but now we see it every week. Players holding their heads so the ref stops the game only to have the physio look at their foot, two players simultaneously needing treatment for no reason, players crawling on to the pitch to get treatment and the weak refs that let them get away with it, shoe laces needing tying, players with cramp, players getting cramp whilst aiding other players with cramp, goalkeepers told to feign injury whilst there is an impromptu team talk and re-organisation - it’s cheating. What makes it worse are the s*** refs who happily let it happen. If you want treatment and you are on the touch line having just crawled on to the pitch, crawl off it again. I’m sick and tired of watching it and this year has been far worse than anything I can ever remember. 

It’s gamesmanship.

I’m with you, sick of watching players roll back on to the pitch to be treated, until referees make a stand against it, be from orders at the top it will continue to be a pandemic in the game, which poor officiating is another pandemic that needs to be fixed.

Absolutely no reason why every single referee in the English football pyramid cannot be a well paid full time position.

With so much money on the line, clubs will do anything to gain an advantage, be it on the pitch, in the accounts or dodgy sponsorships.

If Craig Forsyth went down 3 times in the play off final, rolling back on to the pitch to see the game out, I highly doubt that will be talked about on here if we went up.

End of the day, we had 28 shots on goal to put the game to bed, with a bit more quality that game could have been over inside half hour leaving MK nothing to waste time over. 

Just like a boxer, you leave it in the judges hands, you only have yourself to blame for not getting the KO during the fight.

7 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Joe Wildsmith faked being hit in the knackers against forest green and went down like he’d been shot, wasting about 3 minutes. He even admitted it was nowhere near him after the game to Radio Derby and that he was wasting time. 

Swings and roundabouts, every team is at it including ourselves.

I have been away so not seen / heard anything about the FGR game but if that’s true, a - he’s an idiot and b - he should be suspended (on the condition that everyone else is). My post isn’t about the fact that we didn’t win yesterday, that’s our own fault, it’s about the constant cheating we have to endure every home game we aren’t winning. Lincoln were the worst. Holding your head to stop the game, pretending you are seriously hurt in a potential life threatening way (which is why that rule was brought in) isn’t gamesmanship - it’s cheating. The refs watch it and happily see the physio rub the player’s leg - they should be booked or made to leave the pitch for a 5 minute concussion check, simple as that. It’s become endemic and second nature and needs clamping down on and isn’t really that hard to do. 

I agree SBD. I think what is frustrating me most is the fact that with a combination of the seemingly endless substitutions and random players just sitting down for 'treatment' that the last 20 minutes of so many games are just so stop start that it kills any momentum and totally plays into the hands of the spoiling team. Just when you'd hope that the game was building to a big exciting finish it just ends up as an irritating stop-start anti-climax.

As you say, this isn't about this game and our inability to get the job done against MKD (for which we only have ourselves to blame) it's a general football point about the impact of blatant cynical spoiling tactics on games that lots of people are paying good money to watch.

Whilst its frustrating for us because we're a top 10 side that will dominate most matches. I'd have no issue with us playing the dark arts especially if we saw the benefits to them.

There's no point complaining too much about them because it happens in every division in every league. Its part and parcel of the game and whilst things may be introduced to combat some of the issues, loopholes will always be found.

The sooner we can get out of this league and therefore be in a position where teams aren't playing for a draw at Pride Park the better. 

58 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I have been away so not seen / heard anything about the FGR game but if that’s true, a - he’s an idiot and b - he should be suspended (on the condition that everyone else is). My post isn’t about the fact that we didn’t win yesterday, that’s our own fault, it’s about the constant cheating we have to endure every home game we aren’t winning. Lincoln were the worst. Holding your head to stop the game, pretending you are seriously hurt in a potential life threatening way (which is why that rule was brought in) isn’t gamesmanship - it’s cheating. The refs watch it and happily see the physio rub the player’s leg - they should be booked or made to leave the pitch for a 5 minute concussion check, simple as that. It’s become endemic and second nature and needs clamping down on and isn’t really that hard to do. 

I do sympathise with the refs a little on this issue. You could call out cheaters and fakers 999/1000 and get a little praise, but the one you call wrong and ignore a player with a legitimate head injury could be a career killer. I like your idea about a concussion check, but players would just find a way around this too. "I was holding my head because of how painful the leg injury was."

Pinched from elsewhere.

“What is the earliest in a match that a player has been booked for 'time-wasting'?"

On 22 December 1979, Derby County played Liverpool and the Rams were awarded a penalty after just 20 seconds, which they scored. At the time Derby were on a downward spiral towards near-bankruptcy, Robert Maxwell and the old Third Division. Roy McFarland recognised that Derby were unlikely to win against the eventual league champions and so, with not a little humour, on getting the ball from the ensuing kick-off he hoofed the ball high into the stands; the referee was not amused and booked him. The report does not list the exact time, but it was pretty much around the two-minute mark.

……………..after years of watching Archie Gemmill close out the last five minutes of a match down near the corner flag it never occurred to the cheering thousands that it was time wasting.👍🐏

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

4 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from elsewhere.

“What is the earliest in a match that a player has been booked for 'time-wasting'?"

On 22 December 1979, Derby County played Liverpool and the Rams were awarded a penalty after just 20 seconds, which they scored. At the time Derby were on a downward spiral towards near-bankruptcy, Robert Maxwell and the old Third Division. Roy McFarland recognised that Derby were unlikely to win against the eventual league champions and so, with not a little humour, on getting the ball from the ensuing kick-off he hoofed the ball high into the stands; the referee was not amused and booked him. The report does not list the exact time, but it was pretty much around the two-minute mark.

……………..after years of watching Archie Gemmill close out the last five minutes of a match down near the corner flag it never occurred to the cheering thousands that it was cheating.👍🐏

So we invented it, classic.

Needs to be a chant created by the lyrical geniuses about us creating time wasting 😂

3 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

As I am sure you are all aware, there were two extremely serious injuries yesterday to their gallant numbers 22 and 33.

It was heartbreaking to see the 33 crawl pitifully back on to the pitch so he could reach a teammate and whisper his last words to pass on to his wife and children. The number 22 had a serious head injury requiring extensive physio work on his leg and again only the miraculous intervention of the highly trained medical staff delayed serious harm.

However, a friend of mine who works at the Royal, has reported that neither is likely to make it through another night. Can we please come together as a football family to pray hard for these brave warriors - real men - who gave so much to the game that we all love. 

Hey buddy I hope both make if they dont neathier or left behind.

But both are in my thoughts mate.

13 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from elsewhere.

……………..after years of watching Archie Gemmill close out the last five minutes of a match down near the corner flag it never occurred to the cheering thousands that it was cheating.👍🐏

I was at that match, The reason Mac kicked the ball out was because the ball was deflating and the ref said kick it out, Mac in that instance did as he was told and hoofed into the stand.

Gemmill on the other hand is/was a trained dog handler and by taking the ball to the corner flag is just a habit he caught from walking his dogs.

In all my time I have never seen DCFC players cheat...except when playing the opposition 😁 

I remember reading something about a trial of making games 60 minutes actual play

As soon as the ball leaves the field or someone is injured or substituted the clock stops and only resumes once the ball is in play,a bit like American football do it

I think if you google the average omount of time ball is in play out of 90mins the average is 55-60 mins anyway

Would stop all this time wasting

10 minutes ago, David said:

So we invented it, classic.

Needs to be a chant created by the lyrical geniuses about us creating time wasting 😂

At least we have a conscience though. Roger Davies score the penalty then scored an own goal 15 minutes later to cancel It out and make the scores level again.

So we can retain the moral high ground 😀

Like everyone I’m fed up of seeing all this time wasting, but if two players go down ‘injured’ it must be quite difficult for the ref to have absolute confidence that one or possibly both are faking. It seems refs are taking the safer option of adding on the extra time, as demonstrated by recent games where we’ve had extra time in excess of 5-6 minutes. This gets further manipulated when the time wasting continues into the injury time. I don’t think the ref fully accounted for this yesterday and I think another minute should have added for the extra injury time. Perhaps some sort of playing time rule would help, but can’t see much appetite for this as it isn’t so much of the problem as you go further up the leagues.

My suggestion would be for the team to convert more of their chances on goal, so we can all stop talking about this 😃

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Credit to the ref for adding on to the 7 extra minutes. I think we got 9? 

The only extra 2 came from Jules going down and off in front of the South Stand, but yeah, I took that as acknowledgement the ref had clocked what they were up to.

Having the time back is great, still takes momentum out the game and that's more valuable tbf.