Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)

IslandExile

Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Small, unbalanced squad. Older players possibly running out of steam. Probably got as much out of them as possible.

I do wonder at his substitutions and the timing of them. I also wonder at why we appear to fail to respond to opposition changes in personnel/formation. Is that due to what's on the bench not fitting the changed bill or a failure of the staff? 

Reasonable under the circumstances but the jury is out on the future...

9 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Small, unbalanced squad. Older players possibly running out of steam. Probably got as much out of them as possible.

I do wonder at his substitutions and the timing of them. I also wonder at why we appear to fail to respond to opposition changes in personnel/formation. Is that due to what's on the bench not fitting the changed bill or a failure of the staff? 

Reasonable under the circumstances but the jury is out on the future...

Keep seeing this, how unbalanced? Only missing a RFB.

Think he’s doing a fair job so far. 

I was happy with his appointment and the letting go of LR. I’m still firmly on the Warne bus but I do acknowledge that he has his flaws. 

Think top 6 won’t happen, for me my main concern is making sure we don’t free fall thus increasing tensions and discontent throughout the club. Providing our form between now and the summer is fair I think we can really look forward to a revamp of the squad. 

I imagine we’ll lose some of the young lads but in comparison to last summer at least we can hit the ground running. Hopefully my fears around Warne’s transfer skills can be put to bed.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Keep seeing this, how unbalanced? Only missing a RFB.

You ask this, whilst the other day claiming not to be a fan of 1 of our 2 strikers, the other being old and wouldn’t be able to play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

Also left back, Forsyth hasn’t got it in him to get up and down the left side like he once did, Roberts been asked to do a job there, a player that has only played left back for 976 minutes prior to joining the club, 10 games in game time.

We’ve even had a spell of our AM Sibley playing there and Knight our CM at RB. Just to throw in here Smith is no RB.

Centre back, Davies, love the guy but clearly past his use by date, only recently returned to fitness. Chester, blink and you’ve missed him, which leaves Forsyth learning a new role at centre back alongside a young inexperienced Cashin and Rooney.

If Warne was to play his favoured 3 at the back, we have literally no real cover back there.

Midfield we’re ok, although now in our attacking positions Springett is done for the season, we’re left with Dobbin, NML and Barkhuizen to cover 2 positions. Not ideal but manageable I guess.

If that’s not unbalanced and severely limited in options, I don’t know what is. 

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Too many oldies . Especially at CB. Davies , Stearman, Fozzy, and Chester. 

Midfield balance not right and not enough options upfront.

What you're saying is, Warne is trying to implement a style of play which doesn't suit half of the squad, whilst the other half will be leaving in the summer anyway. Perhaps a style of play better suited to getting the most out of the squad this season would have been better...

Let's not forget he could have also used Osula more which would have prevented him being recalled by Sheff Utd; he could have played Cybulski rather than shipping him out on multiple loans; or he could have played Stretton rather than initially loaning him out and then selling him. He also failed to sign another CF in January, which the entire Derby fanbase knew we needed.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What you're saying is, Warne is trying to implement a style of play which doesn't suit half of the squad, whilst the other half will be leaving in the summer anyway. Perhaps a style of play better suited to getting the most out of the squad this season would have been better...

Let's not forget he could have also used Osula more which would have prevented him being recalled by Sheff Utd; he could have played Cybulski rather than shipping him out on multiple loans; or he could have played Stretton rather than initially loaning him out and then selling him. He also failed to sign another CF in January, which the entire Derby fanbase knew we needed.

Stretton went out on loan at the start of August, around 6 weeks before Warne even arrived here. Come on, you’re not a member that usually needs fact checking, go stick the kettle on, get a bit of caffeine in you. 

Just now, David said:

Stretton went out on loan at the start of August, around 6 weeks before Warne even arrived here. Come on, you’re not a member that usually needs fact checking, go stick the kettle on, get a bit of caffeine in you. 

Admittedly, I have blurred the lines there, but the option was still there for Stretton to be our 3rd choice CF once Osula returned to Sheff Utd

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Admittedly, I have blurred the lines there, but the option was still there for Stretton to be our 3rd choice CF once Osula returned to Sheff Utd

He was, although he hasn’t been pulling up any trees in League 2 has he, not like he’s proved Warne wrong as yet.

3rd choice is a tricky one for us really, neither Cybulski or Stretton have looked good enough outside of the academy, yeah we could have kept them but I’m not sure they would have helped us out massively.

Loaning one in wouldn’t work out, as we saw with Osula, the idea is going on loan to play games and he wasn’t getting any. I would have liked to see more of him, thought he got written off quite quickly without having a run of games to find his feet. 

As McGoldrick came into form, Collins went out of form, frustrating really as you have both in form and 3rd choice striker isn’t a huge issue.

Not made up my mind on him, obviously he needs more time to build what style of football he wants to play. Thing that sometimes annoys me how nicey nice he is all the time sometimes its like he scared to complain. Some of his interviews annoy me when we have been poor and he says how well we played! 

13 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think you should be concerned about the reliability of your memory. His finishing needs improvement but his pace and ability to go past defenders surely is not in doubt; not every time but a lot of the time.

You're talking about a different thing there, you don't need so much pace to go past defenders when they're facing the wrong way and starting from stationery. I'm talking about when a ball is either played over the top or when Dobbin kicks it forward and tries to outrun a defender in a like for like run. I thought that he was fast, but first noticed in the away game at Torquay that he couldn't outrun lower league defenders and have been aware of it ever since. Dobbin's strength is running at the defence with good ball control to get past them, he loves to cut in from the left and I look forward to him catching one right and curling it in, at the south stand end. From my seat in the east stand, I've seen a few attempts go just wide.

1 hour ago, David said:

You ask this, whilst the other day claiming not to be a fan of 1 of our 2 strikers, the other being old and wouldn’t be able to play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

It's not whether I'm a fan - Warne is a fan of both Collo and Didzy.

1 hour ago, David said:

Also left back, Forsyth hasn’t got it in him to get up and down the left side like he once did, Roberts been asked to do a job there, ...

If that’s not unbalanced and severely limited in options, I don’t know what is. 

Unbalanced is not having the player. You want the player to be better than how you rate them, not the same.

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Whereas Warne's high-intensity, high-pressing game has burned them out and made us so easy to beat. 

Also, I want him to drop the stupid David Brent act. 

Agreed - I don't know if he mentions it any more but we haven't been doing the Warne press for a long time (with the exception of the first half against Peterborough where I thought we were on it). When you see how Barnsley and Fleetwood got about us, THAT is a press. As you seem to be suggesting, maybe our (older) players were never going to be able to do that and they've got nothing left in the tank.

Yes - I don't think he is trying to be David Brent but maybe he just watched a lot of The Office back in the day and it has become part of who he is. I'm sure he means well and it doesn't affect my view of him as a manager, but it's cringeworthy and it does affect my desire to listen to his interviews!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not whether I'm a fan - Warne is a fan of both Collo and Didzy.

Unbalanced is not having the player. You want the player to be better than how you rate them, not the same.

Unbalanced is not having the player.

Be it nobody to put there, not the required level or different abilities.

Either way it's unbalanced as Warne doesn't have the options available to him.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There is an argument supporting the manager getting the best out of the players through a change in style rather getting the players to change, as it appears the players have run out of steam trying to play his way.

Regarding the strikers, both Stretton and Cybulski haven't pulled up trees in the lower leagues, so why should they fare any better in league 1? As for Osula, I felt that he was a far better finisher than Dobbin, but his work ethic was very poor. I remember one match at PP when we were defending a one goal lead towards the end of a game and he was brought on to help see out the game. 32 year old Collins who had been on from the start, chased down defenders to the last kick of the game, A fresh Osula only got involved when there was a chance for him going forward. If he showed this attitude during training also, then it's no wonder that he got so little game time.

19 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I like Warne. Find him down to earth, easy to listen to, passionate, clearly an intelligent guy. 

But I’m a bit disappointed with the football we play under him.

I may be alone in this.

But I preferred Rosenior. We may still have lost 0-2 to Ipswich, but we probably would have done so with a greater outlook as we dominate the ball, create more chances, give the younger players more game time.

When we lose under Warne it’s just depressing. The football is generally crap and we look like we have no real identity.

When we lost under Rosenior (especially at Charlton) we still looked a good side. 

I thought we were looking good under Warne but the more you analyze it, you realize our amazing run was down to playing crap teams more than anything Warne actually did.

Under Rosenior we picked up two points from Lincoln, Shrews and Fleetwood away. Horrible results. Yet in the reverse fixtures at home under Warne, we still only picked up two points and arguably played worse.

I agree with this. When the football is unappealing on the eye, you can get away with it when you're winning. When you're not though, the Emperor's new clothes are shed and what you're left with is really quite depressing. 

We are where we should be in my opinion. The top three or four are better than us and we are among the next five or six teams vying for the playoffs.

I think that if we are given some room for manoeuvre in the transfer market this summer we will see a better version of the way Paul Warne wants to play.

I also think that if we get an outcry for Warnes head it would be unfair pressure on David Clowes because I'm sure that economically and morally he would like to stick with Warne