Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)

IslandExile

Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I would say that Dobbin is probably our fastest player, but I can't remember him out pacing any opposition player this season.

I think you should be concerned about the reliability of your memory. His finishing needs improvement but his pace and ability to go past defenders surely is not in doubt; not every time but a lot of the time.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

As well as he talks and as refreshing as it is not to hear all the usual manager clichés, once you've heard one long interview with him you've heard them all really.

Very true! Although to a large extent that could be down to the questions he gets asked, which are somewhat unimaginative. But you're right - I think if you or I could do his accent, we could probably stand in for him (on the radio at least) and nobody would be any the wiser.

Edited by Guest

I would have given Rosenior all this season myself. Possibly next as well if he had come close to achieving promotion. 

Assuming we don't go up, still hopeful, I'd give Warne next season and if there's no improvement by the end of it, meaning finishing in a higher position than this season, bye bye. We should at least be expecting progress. We don't want to be in League One for five years. 

A poll I would like to see is asking the players, who did you enjoy playing your football under more. Rosenior or Warne? Because I know who I preferred to watch them playing it under. 

I didnt want him as manager at start - thought club PR over-egged personality side.

He really grew on me though and liked his persona for the club after last few miserable years (but may have watched too much Ted Lasso!)

Enjoyed unbeaten run - could see where going. But I dont understand many of the team selections/subs though and the inconsistencies which didnt seem to matter in unbeaten run but now with dip in form seem weird. Sibley did well out of position, minor injury then rarely starting esp when need goals. Hourihane until recently seemed undroppable but his delivery of corners in particular so bad. White seemed to get promising then dropped from starting line-up. Dobbin favoured then not. Its difficult when we dont see training etc. Barks seemed good, didnt start, now seems unbothered. Lots  of odd stuff going on which is hard to explain at times.

But still supportive of Warne. I like him. Dealt difficult hand which knew on starting job. If he'd been here since summer likely easier for him as not constant "what ifs" re Liam. I dont want to be swapping managers again in MM way as soon as slightly difficult patch. And we're not done this season yet. We could make and win play offs still. Once we're in its a lottery. Still hope we can do it. 

Won over to bobble hats BUT my main issue with him is he is a "hat person" generally - Wembley exhibit A. My hubbie knows what I think about that. Its a real bug bear eg Greg Wallace. 

i am aware this is rambling with no conclusion so to try and have an opinion - like him, want him to succeed, not over yet this season, generally have enjoyed season far more than expected but some seemingly odd decisions and ditch the hats at all times. 

Mainly though on match days we so need to get behind this team of players and coaches and in tribute to PWs home town "lets be having you"

22 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Unfortunately, we have no pace at all in defence, which probably explains why we concede so many goals on the break, especially from OUR corners.

I think it explains it about 50%.

49% can be explained by substandard delivery at said corners, evading all of our players who probably weren't going to score from it anyway.

I've left 1% for any cases where we score a perfectly good goal from a corner but the officials decide to disallow it regardless 😬

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I like Warne. Find him down to earth, easy to listen to, passionate, clearly an intelligent guy. 

But I’m a bit disappointed with the football we play under him.

I may be alone in this.

But I preferred Rosenior. We may still have lost 0-2 to Ipswich, but we probably would have done so with a greater outlook as we dominate the ball, create more chances, give the younger players more game time.

When we lose under Warne it’s just depressing. The football is generally crap and we look like we have no real identity.

When we lost under Rosenior (especially at Charlton) we still looked a good side. 

I thought we were looking good under Warne but the more you analyze it, you realize our amazing run was down to playing crap teams more than anything Warne actually did.

Under Rosenior we picked up two points from Lincoln, Shrews and Fleetwood away. Horrible results. Yet in the reverse fixtures at home under Warne, we still only picked up two points and arguably played worse.

How I feel about things right now. 

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sure the consensus at the start of the season through another poll was a Top 6 finish would be an acceptable outcome for the season. Happy to be corrected on that point though if my memory doesn't serve me correctly.

So on that basis we are still very much placed to achieve what was deemed to be acceptable outcome. 

Doesn't that then answer the question? And removes the necessity for any other polls. 

I think for most people - though happy to be told I’m wrong - wanted to see improvements as the season went on. A slow start followed by a steady increase in performances and results and perhaps just leaving it too late to get into the play offs but excited about next year. 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Is no-one concerned that Warne doesn't appear to take an active interest in the academy?

See the Academy Thread.

Not sure what’s happening with the Academy anymore.  Stopped going when games moved to Loughborough.

15 hours ago, IslandExile said:

He's been in charge now for long enough for us to get an idea of how he likes to play.

I disagree. One window with his hands tied to bring players in to implement his style is not enough.

He’s recently spoken on how the squad needs “surgery” in the summer, that gives a clear indication he’s not happy with the players he has at the club.

Personally think we will see something different next season, going back to the formation that he prefers with 3 at the back.

We can judge whether he's getting the best out of the players available to him.

This however is a valid question, a manager can have his style, a good manager will not try and force that on a set of players they inherit and get the best out of the players until they are given at least a summer transfer window to shape the squad.  

My answer to that question would be, undecided, though I am closer to yes than no on the scale.

Without stating the obvious here, we’ve hit a sticky patch after going on an incredible run, let’s not forget that run, it happened, under Warne. He does need to find a way to turn it around though in the remaining games and not waste this opportunity we have to put ourselves in the play off lottery.

Despite us having a small squad, it’s a small squad full of quality for this level. If the players are fatigued, which I hope is the case and not a disconnect between the players and manager, simply been ran into the ground, he has to find a way of moving to a more possession based game and let the ball do the work. 

We’re not the only club though to run into a sticky patch, Sheffield Wednesday have ran into one having been in an even better position than us, Ipswich went on one as we closed in on them not so long ago as well. So whilst it’s disappointing to see us drop out the top 6, I’m not close to even jumping on the Warne out train, willing to believe it is just that a sticky patch with terrible timing.

Also, dismissing the context of the situation that Warne walked into with yeah yeah yeah is incredibly harsh, it’s not an excuse or get out of jail cards, it’s the reality of the situation and if anyone thinks Rosenior or any other manager would have come in and seen us romp away with the league with a squad assembled in the summer, well I would politely decline to share those views.

I didn't want him to start with tbh. I felt Rosenior had done enough to earn more time (both with his start and the loyalty he'd shown the club) and then assess where we were. I'm not saying Rosenior would have done much better, as the away form remained a problem, but Warne has been pretty much how I expected. I actually think Warne's style has contributed to some of the problems we now see, Rosenior's possession-based game should have ensured less stress and strain on the older bodies. Whereas Warne's high-intensity, high-pressing game has burned them out and made us so easy to beat. We possess little tactical nous, no complex play patterns and little style besides 'working hard' and using the channels. It's fine to watch when we're winning but god it's depressing when we're getting beat week in week out. 

His record against the top half is absolutely abysmal. There is no other way to put it; it's simply not good enough. I don't think we'll make the top 6; in his own words, that is a failure. Unfortunately, Clowes put him on a 4-year contract, so he should get another season, as i doubt we can afford another big payoff. Our league 1 adventure is quickly turning sour, and things need to change quickly. 

Also, I want him to drop the stupid David Brent act. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

The simple facts to me are that Warne is managing a team he did not put together, and the person that did put it together had both hands tied behind his back.

The best case scenario I had in my head for this season was top six, we are still well in the mix for that.

Less than a year ago we didn't know if we would have a club or not.

Warne is fine as it stands. Let's see how he can start to shape the squad when given the chance.

10 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think you should be concerned about the reliability of your memory. His finishing needs improvement but his pace and ability to go past defenders surely is not in doubt; not every time but a lot of the time.

Port Vale away springs to mind…

10 hours ago, Ramifications said:

I would have given Rosenior all this season myself. Possibly next as well if he had come close to achieving promotion. 

Assuming we don't go up, still hopeful, I'd give Warne next season and if there's no improvement by the end of it, meaning finishing in a higher position than this season, bye bye. We should at least be expecting progress. We don't want to be in League One for five years. 

A poll I would like to see is asking the players, who did you enjoy playing your football under more. Rosenior or Warne? Because I know who I preferred to watch them playing it under. 

A players poll never sounds like a good idea to me especially comparing a current manager with a previous one in any way. Regardless of this general principle, how much a player enjoys playing football under different managers is probably a little bit fluid. When things are going well (a la our good run) they’re bound to be happier than when things aren’t. LR wasn’t manager long enough for him or the players to experience these relative extremes. The same applies to us fans. I enjoyed watching the team more during our purple patch more than I am right now. None of us know how the season, our levels of success or standard of football would have developed under LR.

If you don't like polls, simply move on, go and do something else. Is Love island on the TV?

So much of what you post feeds into the other that you simply cannot ignore one/have one without the other. It does impact on the manager and the choices available to him.

For instance, clearly you need options on the bench for your substitutions to make a difference. How many strikers do we have? One real target-man  and our top GS has had a brilliant season, but who is more of a no.10. We've got a first eleven that is a match for anyone, but after that, little else.

Squad depth allows you to rest and rotate players & drop those out of form. Two of our key midfielders have been injured for a period of time. Unfortunately, we expect more from Jason Knight and his versatility doesn't seem to do him any his favours. Here, some criticism of the management may be due.

Compare us with Ipswich who had, I think, three strikers as options, Ladapo, Hirst & Chaplin and all of different ability, one athletic, one physical, allowing others to play off him, one small, mobile & clever (a Jamie Ward type), allowing for variation in play.

Others we signed like Barkhuizen, good honest professionals, but last season, Barkhuizen was injured for most of it (hamstrings) and maybe, like some, has felt the pace the further this one has gone on. 

The January window. Who did we bring in? Two young reserves who have made more sporadic contributions rather than sustained ones.

It's interesting to see Big Dave at Sheff W. Plus ca change, c'est la meme chose. I remember when we signed him in January 2006 as he became the first cash purchase we had made in a couple of seasons.

We are now back to that situation, a division lower, and we aren't even in the position to make a cash purchase (the luxury of choice). Yes, we have the third highest payroll, but this division is lopsided as evidenced by attendances, so we are clearly much better than most of the so-called 'lesser' teams but  still well behind those sides/our promotion rivals in terms of development, several of whom have had to go through stages of upheaval over a couple of seasons in this league to get where they are (Ipswich). Barnsley? Well, I think their squad was considerably younger than ours and more suited to the energy currently required to get out of it. Yes, Duff has certainly made more of an impact than Warne, you could argue, but if he'd been at Derby with the same squad, not sure.

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Is no-one concerned that Warne doesn't appear to take an active interest in the academy?

See the Academy Thread.

Not if who does what was agreed and DC is happy that things are progressing as agreed and planned. Just because he isnt physically at games doesnt mean he isnt watching intently. Also how does his attendance compare to other managers?
Whatever the position previously with other managers didnt stop many of the academy being offloaded/jumping ship elsewhere did it (not saying they all jumped before people have a go)? The position with the academy is down to one man and its not PW. 

One of PW's recent interviews mentioned about what the coaching team are doing behind the scenes fans are not aware of. The state of things after admin has been much discussed so I am sure there is still much to put right. 

Also PW has a job at our club - he's not a lifelong fan who would give every second up destroying the rest of his life. I wouldnt want or expect him to have no family life.  Sometimes we need to have a sense of perspective.  Again if he's working well and as agreed with DC 🤷‍♀️