Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)

IslandExile

Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sure the consensus at the start of the season through another poll was a Top 6 finish would be an acceptable outcome for the season. Happy to be corrected on that point though if my memory doesn't serve me correctly.

So on that basis we are still very much placed to achieve what was deemed to be acceptable outcome. 

Doesn't that then answer the question? And removes the necessity for any other polls. 

Do you never evaluate further information and change your mind?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you never evaluate further information and change your mind?

The reference point was the poll at the start of the season. 

All these comparisons between LR and PW are ultimately totally unhelpful as it's impossible to prove or disprove how one would have faired relatively to the other.

Would also say they if Warne is on a 4 year contract then the likelihood of us binning him off anytime soon is pretty remote so again all the wheedling about him serves no purpose. 

If you don't like his style or bobble hat or whatever and it upsets you that much then easy solution is just don't go to games or support the team. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

All these comparisons between LR and PW are ultimately totally unhelpful as it's impossible to prove or disprove how one would have faired relatively to the other...

If you don't like his style or bobble hat or whatever and it upsets you that much then easy solution is just don't go to games or support the team. 

Oooh get you! 😄

You referenced Rosenior this poll does not.

How I support the team is down to me, you carry on as you like, I'm sure it will be helpful, or not.

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sure the consensus at the start of the season through another poll was a Top 6 finish would be an acceptable outcome for the season. Happy to be corrected on that point though if my memory doesn't serve me correctly.

So on that basis we are still very much placed to achieve what was deemed to be acceptable outcome. 

Doesn't that then answer the question? And removes the necessity for any other polls. 

What have you seen over the last 2 months which makes you think we'll finish in the top 6.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

All these comparisons between LR and PW are ultimately totally unhelpful as it's impossible to prove or disprove how one would have faired relatively to the other.

Would also say they if Warne is on a 4 year contract then the likelihood of us binning him off anytime soon is pretty remote so again all the wheedling about him serves no purpose. 

If something isn't working, you change it before the damage is too great. It's not too late.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oooh get you! 😄

You referenced Rosenior this poll does not.

How I support the team is down to me, you carry on as you like, I'm sure it will be helpful, or not.

Comment wasn't aimed at you specifically and was trying to be helpful by saying that if his style etc does boil you pee that much then really the best thing to do is just stop watching games if its upsetting you that much. 

As realistically he ain't going anywhere soon. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What have you seen over the last 2 months which makes you think we'll finish in the top 6.

That we're equal on points with same games played with the team in 6th position?

And equal on points but played a game more than the team in 5th position?

So not beyond the wildest dreams that we can finish in 6th place (or above) is it?

My original post always mentioned expectations at the start of the season just to remind you. 

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That we're equal on points with same games played with the team in 6th position?

And equal on points but played a game more than the team in 5th position?

So not beyond the wildest dreams that we can finish in 6th place (or above) is it?

My original post always mentioned expectations at the start of the season just to remind you. 

We're 7th now and dropping like a stone. Here's a table of results since the 5th of Feb:

Screenshot_20230404_214855_Chrome.thumb.jpg.926da6eac03eab03283169bcf3563c0e.jpg

This hardly looks encouraging to me.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It only needs major surgery because of the consequences of having Warne as manager.

He desires a 3 at the back. This means 4 new wing backs, 2 new CFs, 2 new CBs, a GK. That's before any current players leave.

In the event of failing to get promoted, we will lose a number of our best and most promising players.

In total, we'll be looking at 13 new signings. GK, 3 CBs, 4 WBs, 3 CMs, 2 CFs.

How many go out do you think? Few are out of contract in June (from what I’ve seen Didzy, Chester, Curt, Steadman and Foz, though expect the former and latter will be offered extensions). Fully expect Knight to leave if we don’t go up. Odds are well sign Mcgee and release Loach. Hope we can sign Roberts but if not he’ll go along with the other 3 loans returning to their clubs. I think somewhere between 7 and your lower number is probably about right over the next two windows, regardless of formation.

Edited by DiggerB

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We're 7th now and dropping like a stone. Here's a table of results since the 5th of Feb:

Screenshot_20230404_214855_Chrome.thumb.jpg.926da6eac03eab03283169bcf3563c0e.jpg

This hardly looks encouraging to me.

So you've chosen a small sampling range to suit your narrative.

So you're saying the form of any club over a finite period then transposes itself to the whole season - of course not. Or even guarantees that the next same sampling period will have the same/similar outcome. Of course not. 

This is all digression anyway, my original point still stands which you asked. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

You think Clowes is going to bin off Warne any time soon?

I hope not (not before he's given him the full opportunity to prove himself) but in football no-one ever really knows. Good intentions mean little and even the best owners make seemingly drastic decisions.

If something isn't working it isn't working (I'm not saying Warne isn't working or it won't work) and it's hard to resist change.

If you look at the academy thread, it's hard to see how Warne's approach meets with Clowes continuation in funding our Cat 1 status - I've tried to think of some logic behind our current mismatch in ideals  but it's a worry and IF a manager's ideas aren't on board with the owners ideas things can go south pretty quickly with, again, regardless of intentions.

Edited by Kokosnuss

David Clowes, the man who saved Derby from extinction, wants to rebuild this Club, its reputation and integrity. Over the last few years we have been a pretty dirty corrupt commodity. Thankfully we have someone in charge who wishes to change that. He has brought in Paul Warne to assist him in this project (not an overnight flash). Mr Clowes is a very successful business man, who has obviously made good business decisions to achieve this success. No, he is not experienced in running a football club but he probably knows as much about this Club and its history over the last 2 or 3 decades as anyone. I, for one, trust his judgement.

Paul Warne is as honest as the day is long (possibly too honest for some of the feint hearted on this forum). He knows how to get out of this Division too - 3 times! For goodness sake give him time to build the squad he needs to play the type of football he would like to play. That’s likely to be energetic, full of running, high pressing, passionate football. I think that sums up Liverpool’s style.  They are not a bad example to follow. No, I not saying we are any where near as good as Liverpool - just I would not mind copying their style.

The  squad we have has some very good players in it and many,as has been mentioned, would walk into other teams. What we haven’t got as a team is balance, aggression, height and pace - to match the better teams in Division One.

There’s still a chance we could get promotion but unless the EFL loosens its shackles during the close season we will struggle next year in the Championship. I would rather take a slower, more sustained route. I am getting a bit old in the tooth and believe you have to have work and earn success - it seems some people wants instant success as a right.

No one knows, not even Paul Warne, how successful he can be at a higher level, given a reasonable budget. I sure he believes in his ability to succeed and I am sure David Clowes believes so too.

David Clowes has stated he has a 5 year plan to make Derby a competitive Championship side. I am sure he is itching to achieve this sooner but will be patient. I want my club to be successful, have integrity, good reputation and be well run. This takes time after the dreadful last few years.

Please be patient and allow this to evolve at the right pace.

There are 2 key physical attributes required in this league. Tall and/or quick players.

Ipswich had both on Saturday, the pace of some of their players was frightening when compared with ours. Likewise, not for the first time this season, they had 3 or 4 players taller than our tallest player.

I would say that Dobbin is probably our fastest player, but I can't remember him out pacing any opposition player this season. Unfortunately, we have no pace at all in defence, which probably explains why we concede so many goals on the break, especially from OUR corners.

I think that PW will address this in the close season and I will judge him after he's had the opportunity to acquire players more suited to this league.

5 minutes ago, ram59 said:

There are 2 key physical attributes required in this league. Tall and/or quick players.

Ipswich had both on Saturday, the pace of some of their players was frightening when compared with ours. Likewise, not for the first time this season, they had 3 or 4 players taller than our tallest player.

I would say that Dobbin is probably our fastest player, but I can't remember him out pacing any opposition player this season. Unfortunately, we have no pace at all in defence, which probably explains why we concede so many goals on the break, especially from OUR corners.

I think that PW will address this in the close season and I will judge him after he's had the opportunity to acquire players more suited to this league.