East Stand

OoooMarkWright

Why is the club not selling tickets in the East stand corner near the away fans?

The area is blocked out for the remainder of the season. I’ve heard stories of stewards being added to the area and being ‘on it’ in terms of reducing the standing fans. Used to be a decent atmosphere here but now you can’t get in. It’s not sold out as not blacked out. An odd decision by the club. People are complaining that the stewards/club are killing the atmosphere in this area. 
Anyone know anymore about this? 

5E9ABB18-78CB-44E9-BE58-CB3A7CDDB9FA.jpeg

I might post my useless observations as someone who sits in that area but doesn't really look around him that much on this tomorrow.

I would say that when you say  'Ive heard stories' they're probably stories from people who feel aggrieved at something more perceived than realised, who are making a little thing out to be a massive thing.

But also I'm biased as I think people who are obsessed with the idea that they can't add to an atmosphere unless they're standing are usually complete dickwads who think giving opposition fans abuse is more important than supporting their own team.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Thought these were the blocks where ST holders had to move for cup game away fans?

Are there no STs in this area then? ?‍♂️

It is. But season ticket holders moved for the West Ham game. All there will be in that area now is season ticket holders. It’s never happened ever in that area where the club haven’t sold match tickets. Very odd. 
There is a new supervisor apparently who is strict on standing, checking tickets etc. It’s clearly a club policy to not sell tickets in that area but I’m not sure why? 

9 hours ago, enachops said:

Why is the club not selling tickets in the East stand corner near the away fans?

The area is blocked out for the remainder of the season. I’ve heard stories of stewards being added to the area and being ‘on it’ in terms of reducing the standing fans. Used to be a decent atmosphere here but now you can’t get in. It’s not sold out as not blacked out. An odd decision by the club. People are complaining that the stewards/club are killing the atmosphere in this area. 
Anyone know anymore about this? 

5E9ABB18-78CB-44E9-BE58-CB3A7CDDB9FA.jpeg

It’s a good question as a “lively” crowd in that area does help the atmosphere. Why don’t you ask the club via our friendly SLO?

There was a formal complaint some games ago from a person with a child who bought tickets in that area and then found they had to stand. I wonder whether the complaint has gone outside the club so they are under scrutiny?

Why they couldn't have bought a ticket in the family area I don't know but if you get someone with a bee in their bonnet determined to prove their point, you know what that's like!

As a casual observation, there seems to be a number of younger supporters who buy tickets on a match by match basis who want to be able to stand up at home games, but who can't (or choose not to) buy tickets in the South Stand. I'm not surprised that the club are taking action to stop any ad-hoc expansion of standing areas, because they're against the law AFAIAA. It's also peeing off those fans who actually prefer to sit down for most of the game and it's entirely possible that arguments won't be settled peacefully. 

It seems a bit harsh to punish Derby fans when the away fans are standing literally a few seats away from you. 

Also, the block next to the away fans tend to stand but not the one near the edge of the area. It seems very odd and not a good move in my opinion. It will only damage the atmosphere further at the ground. 

28 minutes ago, angieram said:

There was a formal complaint some games ago from a person with a child who bought tickets in that area and then found they had to stand. I wonder whether the complaint has gone outside the club so they are under scrutiny?

Why they couldn't have bought a ticket in the family area I don't know but if you get someone with a bee in their bonnet determined to prove their point, you know what that's like!

I sat in the east stand upper that's blocked off...for 15 years from when it opened, Front row inline with the penalty spot a cracking view of the game, Until we had 3 lads who wanted to stand at the back seats on the east stand lower completely blocked our view of the 18 yard area, They were asked politely to sit down, But game after game they would return to standing up, I was getting pi$$ed off...so went and stood right in front of them as they were sitting down, I asked if there was an issue, There sure was, It's not nice asking people to sit in their seat as it comes across as your a bit of a kill joy.

If I go to away games I'm resigned/expect to be standing up as a good few do, The person "who complained" has the right to do so, Also they have the right to sit where they choose if a seats available...I guess not many if any stand up in the West Stand? 

3 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

If I go to away games I'm resigned/expect to be standing up as a good few do, The person "who complained" has the right to do so, Also they have the right to sit where they choose if a seats available...I guess not many if any stand up in the West Stand? 

I think most of them prefer to be lying down......or at least reclining grracefully.....

Edited by Gaspode

I get the argument that standing can annoy some people. But, why punish everyone and not sell any tickets in that area?? If they are purchasing tickets for one off games it will be easy to identify them. 
I’ve never known the club to not sell match day tickets in an area that isn’t sold out. 

The post pointing out that the club might be under investigation or surveillance is probably right. It's against UK Law to stand. Can't blame the club for not wanting to break the Law. Taking action following a complaint may well ensure that home fans in the South and away fans in the SE continue to get to stand without too much hassle..... 

I would imagine the club have tried other options. 

Do they

a) let people stand in front of others who don't want to stand?

b) have a running battle with standers who will point at opposition fans 10 metres away who are standing?

c) have a big battle making away fans sit down who will point at the South Stand standing?

d) have a massive battle making everyone sit down?

31 minutes ago, Crewton said:

As a casual observation, there seems to be a number of younger supporters who buy tickets on a match by match basis who want to be able to stand up at home games, but who can't (or choose not to) buy tickets in the South Stand. I'm not surprised that the club are taking action to stop any ad-hoc expansion of standing areas, because they're against the law AFAIAA. It's also peeing off those fans who actually prefer to sit down for most of the game and it's entirely possible that arguments won't be settled peacefully. 

Yes I wonder if it's something like this - this season that area does seem a bit of a creeping South Stand extension. It certainly adds to the atmosphere but equally it's really unfair if it spoils the experience of people who have been sitting there for years. 

16 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

The post pointing out that the club might be under investigation or surveillance is probably right. It's against UK Law to stand. Can't blame the club for not wanting to break the Law. Taking action following a complaint may well ensure that home fans in the South and away fans in the SE continue to get to stand without too much hassle..... 

No, it’s not against the law.