East Stand

OoooMarkWright

As someone who has been right in the middle of this I'll clarify a few points as to what has been shared quite candidly with me with the head supervisor and steward over that area (not their boss as he keeps himself away from coming down to our block but does stand around before the game in the upper block behind us) .

For some context as to my knowledge etc....

I sit on the very back row of Block I which has been highlighted in the opening picture. Myself and my lad are usually one of the first in to the ground so get to spend around an hour in our seating area every match and have a great relationship with all the stewards near us as we have been there for around 9 years.

All of this stewarding and not selling the match day tickets has come about by the club receiving more than one complaint from people who sit in the first few rows of block J who sit during the game and can't see due to those in the block below them standing.

After receiving some of these complaints the club had a representative of the board, or someone reporting directly to the board sit in upper block I to see first hand what the problem is. This was done in the Bolton game and may have also been done in the Barnsley game before.

From what they saw the report back was to remove those who are not season ticket holders from the lower block I particularly so that those left could be identified and challenged and potentially blocked from the ground if they persist in breaking the ground rules and stand up.

From that many of us in both the upper and lower blocks received an email, although the stewards have been told that the club are not actually bothered by those standing at the top of J block as no one is complaining behind them and they won't challenge the South stand as the club feel that everyone in that area go there with the understanding that it is a 'standing' area so they don't complain.

The only real area of concern and focus is our lower block I due to those in the bottom seats of block J who complain, even though they have curtailed sales in the other nearby blocks.

The stewards are aware, and I have replied in my email to the club to explain the same, that if someone even 3 or 4 rows in front of us stands up, our view of the game is obscured or blocked.

We are always mindful on the back row to try and perch as much as we can (actually causing some real leg and arse pain in the process) if the 4th row in front is standing, but this is only when the two rows directly in front of us are also perching or sitting because as soon as they stand, we have to stand or we see nothing.

None of us have ever complained about the standing, even when one of the ladies was 8 months pregnant coming to the games as we love the atmosphere and banter in the area, even if we'd chose to sit if we could.

Do I understand people complaining.....slightly, and I do get the whole 'it's the rules' argument if it is enforced equally around the ground, but some of these are the same people who remained seated V Morcombe when we scored, all 5, got the pennos and throughout all celebrations and following chants etc so they are always going to miss something when the rest of the ground are on their feet.

One in particular has made it a point to complain for a long time and even though they have a right to sit in the seat with the ticket they bought, the dynamic of that whole area has changed from what it was, so it may not be the best place for them to remain seated etc compared to the few hundred who now enjoy the match day experience differently there and all those who have to stand to be able to see as well.

If the club want to stop the standing, as in really stop the standing in that area, the stewards and the club need to challenge those at the front who stand with no one in front of them as they are the real cause of the issue, if it is deemed to be one. As soon as they remain standing it has a knock on effect to the rest of the block. It annoyed everyone of us near the back to be challenged when we don't chose to stand, we are forced to stand to see the game as others obscure or block our views.

I've had no reply to my email after they sent me one so have not been able to enter discussions directly with the club, but the stewards are doing what they have been instructed to by the club.

Hope that helps in expanding on the explanation a bit.

1 hour ago, England Ram said:

As someone who has been right in the middle of this I'll clarify a few points as to what has been shared quite candidly with me with the head supervisor and steward over that area (not their boss as he keeps himself away from coming down to our block but does stand around before the game in the upper block behind us) .

I sit on the very back row of Block I which has been highlighted in the opening picture. Myself and my lad are usually one of the first in to the ground so get to spend around an hour in our seating area every match and have a great relationship with all the stewards near us as we have been there for around 9 years.

All of this stewarding and not selling the match day tickets has come about by the club receiving more than one complaint from people who sit in the first few rows of block J who sit during the game and can't see due to those in the block below them standing.

After receiving some of these complaints the club had a representative of the board, or someone reporting directly to the board sit in upper block I to see first hand what the problem is. This was done in the Bolton game and may have also been done in the Barnsley game before.

From what they saw the report back was to remove those who are not season ticket holders from the lower block I particularly so that those left could be identified and challenged and potentially blocked from the ground if they persist in breaking the ground rules and stand up.

From that many of us in both the upper and lower blocks received an email, although the stewards have been told that the club are not actually bothered by those standing at the top of J block as no one is complaining behind them and they won't challenge the South stand as the club feel that everyone in that area go there with the understanding that it is a 'standing' area so they don't complain.

The only real area of concern and focus is our lower block I due to those in the bottom seats of block J who complain, even though they have curtailed sales in the other nearby blocks.

The stewards are aware, and I have replied in my email to the club to explain the same, that if someone even 3 or 4 rows in front of us stands up, our view of the game is obscured or blocked.

We are always mindful on the back row to try and perch as much as we can (actually causing some real leg and arse pain in the process) if the 4th row in front is standing, but this is only when the two rows directly in front of us are also perching or sitting because as soon as they stand, we have to stand or we see nothing.

None of us have ever complained about the standing, even when one of the ladies was 8 months pregnant coming to the games as we love the atmosphere and banter in the area, even if we'd chose to sit if we could.

Do I understand people complaining.....slightly, and I do get the whole 'it's the rules' argument if it is enforced equally around the ground, but some of these are the same people who remained seated V Morcombe when we scored, all 5, got the pennos and throughout all celebrations and following chants etc so they are always going to miss something when the rest of the ground are on their feet.

One in particular has made it a point to complain for a long time and even though they have a right to sit in the seat with the ticket they bought, the dynamic of that whole area has changed from what it was, so it may not be the best place for them to remain seated etc compared to the few hundred who now enjoy the match day experience differently there and all those who have to stand to be able to see as well.

If the club want to stop the standing, as in really stop the standing in that area, the stewards and the club need to challenge those at the front who stand with no one in front of them as they are the real cause of the issue, if it is deemed to be one. As soon as they remain standing it has a knock on effect to the rest of the block. It annoyed everyone of us near the back to be challenged when we don't chose to stand, we are forced to stand to see the game as others obscure or block our views.

I've had no reply to my email after they sent me one so have not been able to enter discussions directly with the club, but the stewards are doing what they have been instructed to by the club.

That's really helpful. 

2 hours ago, England Ram said:

I have notice all east stand in black now I hope you get better view of the game this time.

14 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

What about a “Safe Standing “ area of about 1,000 in the East stand south. I think that would soon sell out.

Sounds a good idea but then, you look a little bit at the next block to the North and realise that having "legal standing in the East, next to the SE Corner", you realise that that "one block North would have a negative effect on their, seated, view.

It's not a simple thing to solve.

9 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Sounds a good idea but then, you look a little bit at the next block to the North and realise that having "legal standing in the East, next to the SE Corner", you realise that that "one block North would have a negative effect on their, seated, view.

It's not a simple thing to solve.

Actually it is. Three sides of the ground are seating, with one side accepted standing. If you want to stand, go there. If not, you have to abide by the rules and sit, or not go at all. 

There. Sorted. 

29 minutes ago, angieram said:

You think the East Stand lacks atmosphere? Read this thread. It's comedy gold! 

I've seen lots of these tweets. Suggest there should be no women or children in the SS as they are just on phones!!! What the heck is going on everywhere?  Used to think our fans were the best but there's some rubbish stuff going on towards other fans at the moment. Selfishness and entitlement at the heart of it. 
I wonder if the club has had a warning about standing from an external safety review to suddenly try and enforce this and for these issues to arise? 

To me I wouldnt have a SS season ticket as need to sit due to a health condition but love to be as near as possible to it so SW Upper for that. So I wouldnt moan about standing in SS but would where we sit. As others have said it actually only takes half a dozen standing near the front to get a domino effect

I remember when, some years ago, some fans tried to set up a singing and standing section in the top NW corner, where few if any ST were sold, but it never took off.

Rather than trying to make the standing sections grow organically against the club's wishes and those of ST holders, why don't these insurgents get organised, speak to the club, and try to kick start a new initiative up there? As well as removing an annoyance to other fans, it would boost the atmosphere and appeal in the North Stand. 

58 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I remember when, some years ago, some fans tried to set up a singing and standing section in the top NW corner, where few if any ST were sold, but it never took off.

Rather than trying to make the standing sections grow organically against the club's wishes and those of ST holders, why don't these insurgents get organised, speak to the club, and try to kick start a new initiative up there? As well as removing an annoyance to other fans, it would boost the atmosphere and appeal in the North Stand. 

As a ST holder for one year in the North Stand it's as dead for atmosphere as Venus, There's a reason it's a family stand...it's for Mum/Dad and the kids, Put a singing group in the corner and you'll get those parents complaining as we all know some songs will eventually turn into Anglo Saxon language.

You can please some of the people some of the time, But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Actually it is. Three sides of the ground are seating, with one side accepted standing. If you want to stand, go there. If not, you have to abide by the rules and sit, or not go at all. 

There. Sorted. 

Well I dont think people mind as long for few secounds at a time like do and then remain seated.

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

As a ST holder for one year in the North Stand it's as dead for atmosphere as Venus, There's a reason it's a family stand...it's for Mum/Dad and the kids, Put a singing group in the corner and you'll get those parents complaining as we all know some songs will eventually turn into Anglo Saxon language.

You can please some of the people some of the time, But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Year like game before wycombe had a women glare for getting behind the team I think some would if be no noise what so ever.

28 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I dont think people mind as long for few secounds at a time like do and then remain seated.

Clearly though people do mind, and because it isn't a few second at a time. People are standing for the whole game, and being abusive to those who try and get them to sit down. 

That's why there is such a problem, people complaining and arguing with each other, and the club forced to step in. That's why we're discussing it on here. 

29 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Clearly though people do mind, and because it isn't a few second at a time. People are standing for the whole game, and being abusive to those who try and get them to sit down. 

That's why there is such a problem, people complaining and arguing with each other, and the club forced to step in. That's why we're discussing it on here. 

I only do it for few secounds at a time besides next to last row. People around been togather for years now.

3 hours ago, The Last Post said:

On the stadium map, I'm pretty sure the NE corner is now designated as the Family Stand, though I know North Stand certainly used to be.

It's just my opinion, but I think having a decent group of regular singers in each area draws in more reluctant singers than just having S and E/S end as dedicated singing sections.

Atmosphere at English football matches is naturally occurring phenomenon.

In the god knows how many forced attempts to cultivate one, it has nearly always had a noticeable short term effect, but the effectiveness has always waned quite dramatically, and often quite quickly.

Every time it does it's met with a new excuse at to why it happened. The team's crap and there's nothing to support, the team's too good and winning all the time becomes boring, it was too cold that month so the enthusiasm died off, it was half term and everyone was on their holidays, the acoustics aren't right, we're too far apart, there are too many of us in one area so the chants don't have a far enough reach, there aren't enough away fans, the away fans drowned our section out.

And on it goes. The stewards are being too harsh, there's too many women and children in the crowd, we need a safe standing area.

The only things that really create atmosphere in the stands are success on the pitch against a good standard of opposition or a sense of injustice. But these things are also fleeting, the ebb & flow of vocal support levels will continue to follow suit.

The idea of uprooting people from season tickets they've held for 5, 10, 15, 25+ years for the next desperate attempt to manufacture something which cannot be artificially replicated is just another in the long list of hare-brained schemes for a certain demographic to cling onto for the fantasy of being innovators of atmosphere.

Edited by Kokosnuss