East Stand

OoooMarkWright

10 minutes ago, sage said:

I would imagine the club have tried other options. 

Do they

a) let people stand in front of others who don't want to stand?

b) have a running battle with standers who will point at opposition fans 10 metres away who are standing?

c) have a big battle making away fans sit down who will point at the South Stand standing?

d) have a massive battle making everyone sit down?

I vote D.

I'd pay good money to watch, too.  

11 minutes ago, sage said:

I would imagine the club have tried other options. 

Do they

a) let people stand in front of others who don't want to stand?

b) have a running battle with standers who will point at opposition fans 10 metres away who are standing?

c) have a big battle making away fans sit down who will point at the South Stand standing?

d) have a massive battle making everyone sit down?

I think they had it right - you can't win all arguments so you turn a blind eye to the SS and away end, but there needs to be a line in the sand somewhere, and it looks like they've drawn it. Which is fair enough.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

No, it’s not against the law.

True (which I hadn't realised) but it seems that it's against the ground regulations and if it's deemed to present a unacceptable risk, it could lead to the club having the stadium licence suspended or revoked, or its safety certificate cancelled. I doubt the problem is that serious as yet, but the people doing it need to be aware of the possibility, even if they don't GAF about their fellow fans.

18 minutes ago, Crewton said:

True (which I hadn't realised) but it seems that it's against the ground regulations and if it's deemed to present a unacceptable risk, it could lead to the club having the stadium licence suspended or revoked, or its safety certificate cancelled. I doubt the problem is that serious as yet, but the people doing it need to be aware of the possibility, even if they don't GAF about their fellow fans.

The law states that the club must provide a seat but not that it must be sat in. But as you have pointed out persistent standing is against ground regulations which could result in partial or full closure of the stand.

I'm a season ticket holder in that area (East Stand Upper) & this looks like a ramping up of measures.

We had stewards checking tickets as people were going up the steps during Morecambe game so presumably some concern about people switching seats from other areas. Didn't see any attempts to stop standing but the situation there has been pretty consistent for some time now - J Block stand throughout (Upper & Lower) whilst people in other East Stand blocks nearby only stand if they have seats on the top row. I haven't seen people randomly standing in any other blocks to the right of J Block at any stage this season.

There was also an email from the club (don't know whether everyone got this or just those of us located in that area) warning of extra checks & measures aiming at targeting anti-social behaviour. Fair to say it went down pretty badly given the abusive songs J Block were singing throughout the Morecambe game & the stewards seemed to back off from being as visible on Tuesday.

Clearly some enthusiasm on here to strictly police standers but if the reason for this is a complaint received by someone not usually in that area, it seems heavy-handed. If you want to sit, there are plenty of areas in the stadium to do so - this isn't comparable with the away game situation (which penalises anyone wanting to sit down). It also seems hypocritical when standing is implicitly permitted in the away end & the South Stand.

Longer term, I feel the club could do with exploring a safe standing solution - its clearly popular with certain fans so seems logical to get that area established asap & reduce the tension between standing v sitting.

3 hours ago, Foreveram said:

No, it’s not against the law.

I stand corrected. The "ban" came from the government inquiry into football. I had, incorrectly, thought that the ban was Law. I researched the issue and found this.... The ground regulations of a stadium (including the ban on persistent standing) form a contract between the supporter and the stadium operator. Entering the stadium is a tacit agreement to accept the ground regulations. By standing, the supporter is in breach of that contract.

So, not illegal but breach of contract.

44 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'm a season ticket holder in that area (East Stand Upper) & this looks like a ramping up of measures.

We had stewards checking tickets as people were going up the steps during Morecambe game so presumably some concern about people switching seats from other areas. Didn't see any attempts to stop standing but the situation there has been pretty consistent for some time now - J Block stand throughout (Upper & Lower) whilst people in other East Stand blocks nearby only stand if they have seats on the top row. I haven't seen people randomly standing in any other blocks to the right of J Block at any stage this season.

There was also an email from the club (don't know whether everyone got this or just those of us located in that area) warning of extra checks & measures aiming at targeting anti-social behaviour. Fair to say it went down pretty badly given the abusive songs J Block were singing throughout the Morecambe game & the stewards seemed to back off from being as visible on Tuesday.

Clearly some enthusiasm on here to strictly police standers but if the reason for this is a complaint received by someone not usually in that area, it seems heavy-handed. If you want to sit, there are plenty of areas in the stadium to do so - this isn't comparable with the away game situation (which penalises anyone wanting to sit down). It also seems hypocritical when standing is implicitly permitted in the away end & the South Stand.

Longer term, I feel the club could do with exploring a safe standing solution - its clearly popular with certain fans so seems logical to get that area established asap & reduce the tension between standing v sitting.

No such email here.  (STH in NE Corner).

I wouldn't say it was hypocritical.  As has been said, they clearly need to draw a line.  A cut off point where standing is forbidden.  The alternative is to forbid it everywhere... as it is on paper, of course!
If they allow it... implicitly or otherwise... in this block, what then, when the next block also start standing in numbers... then the next, etc?

As we know next to nothing on the reputed "complaint", maybe they threatened a more official complaint to governing bodies?  Maybe DCFC felt they had little choice but to clamp down, so not really heavy handed either, in my book.  Maybe that more official complaint has already been made?  Maybe this clampdown comes from orders from above.  We just don't know.

And for obvious reasons, they are unlikely to be making any official and/or public statement on this, of course.

Better to have a few disgruntled fans who can't have it all their own way (But knew the rules prior to purchasing their ticket), than have a stand ordered to close/fines etc.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I stand corrected. The "ban" came from the government inquiry into football. I had, incorrectly, thought that the ban was Law. I researched the issue and found this.... The ground regulations of a stadium (including the ban on persistent standing) form a contract between the supporter and the stadium operator. Entering the stadium is a tacit agreement to accept the ground regulations. By standing, the supporter is in breach of that contract.

So, not illegal but breach of contract.

If memory serves, When getting our STs it came with a list of don'ts, If you do not like what you read then return you ST for a refund, Football Grounds are privately owned and the owners set the rules, It's when/if you challenge those rules that makes ones ass twitch.  

7 hours ago, enachops said:

I get the argument that standing can annoy some people. But, why punish everyone and not sell any tickets in that area?? If they are purchasing tickets for one off games it will be easy to identify them. 
I’ve never known the club to not sell match day tickets in an area that isn’t sold out. 

At some teams , not far away from here, half the crowd stand up for the whole game. I stand in the SS and I think it is easier to make some noise standing up. At the last  2 Wembley trips there has been a lot of problems with a mix of Stand up / Sit down fans. Could do with sorting before we go.

49 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

If memory serves, When getting our STs it came with a list of don'ts, If you do not like what you read then return you ST for a refund, Football Grounds are privately owned and the owners set the rules, It's when/if you challenge those rules that makes ones ass twitch.  

With south stand for spail permission to have standing in there but I sit down at home.

We have three season tickets in block I east upper, the two seats next to me belonged to two elderly gentleman who sadly have not returned since Covid. Even though these are not shown to be available online they are frequently occupied, maybe sold on the day at the ticket office. 
The persistent standing is not a problem in our block, it’s only the upper and lower blocks directly next to the away fans.

After the sale of half season tickets concluded there were very few seats left available in these areas.

25 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

With south stand for spail permission to have standing in there but I sit down at home.

If I've read your post correctly, are you saying the club (DCFC) have given those in the south stand "Special permission" to be allowed to stand?  

6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

If I've read your post correctly, are you saying the club (DCFC) have given those in the south stand "Special permission" to be allowed to stand?  

Yes

But I think they had to get it from FA

But it was a few years ago through.

7 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Yes

But I think they had to get it from FA

But it was a few years ago through.

Well, that's fantastic news!  Thankyou.  ?

To be honest, I much prefer to stand, but hate breaking rules, or upsetting folk around me.  That's the only reason I sit down.
Now I know the South Stand have special permission to stand, that means no rules (Ground regulations) are being broken, and therefore nobody has the right to moan or complain.
I'm gonna look into transferring my ST seat back to The South Stand.
I can't believe I missed this, when it was first announced.  (I presume the club made a statement on the website?).  I can be so dumb at times!

Thanks again, buddy.  You have made my day with this wonderful news.  ??

Edited by Mucker1884

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Well, that's fantastic news!  Thankyou.  ?

To be honest, I much prefer to stand, but hate breaking rules, or upsetting folk around me.  That's the only reason I sit down.
Now I know the South Stand have special permission to stand, that means no rules (Ground regulations) are being broken, and therefore nobody has the right to moan or complain.
I'm gonna look into transferring my ST seat back to The South Stand.
I can't believe I missed this, when it was first announced.  (I presume the club made a statement on the website?).  I can be so dumb at times!

Thanks again, buddy.  You have made my day with this wonderful news.  ??

But best check but pretty sure that was the case.