Luke McGee - Goalkeeper on loan until end of season

Caerphilly Ram

The more I look into it the more I like this signing.

27 years old, plenty of experience at this level and been a regular this season too as well achieving promotion last season. On a free in the summer so if he impresses off the pitch then a good chance we sign him permanently. 

Not sure there are too many other GKs we could have brought in, with the potential to sign permanently with this type of experience including this season.

Problem we have is 2 year contracts.  In the summer, should he continue on his trajectory,  Derby will be offered cash for Widsmiths services from a championship club.  Probably a million or so with one year on his contract.  At that point he's refusing a probable 3yr deal on twice the money Derby can offer on a further 1 yr deal.  It's ta ta, as it will be for any young players with potential.  Already planning for if we aren't promoted would be my guess.  Just the reality we are in for another 18 months.

Clearly McGee for whatever reason wasn’t signing a new contract at FGR and they are probably looking to save money towards their pending relegation. Ferguson probably has a blank sheet to build his own side and just like Warne, wouldn’t want anyone aboard who doesn’t want to be there. 
I would think that the reason it’s loan is to keep any permanent signing off this seasons Accounts and also gives Warne a few months to validate his thoughts on a permanent deal in the summer - we need cover now Anang has gone - it suggests this works for all parties for the time being.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

££££££

He’s come on Loan - he’s not making more money.

Unless he’s thinking the off season and wants to join on a permanent and then he could double or triple his wages.

It’s a good signing but I’d confused on his account.

I can only assume FGR said sign a new deal or you’re not playing for the rest of the season, and he’s said I’m not signing.

He says something like it all came to a halt with FGR so there’s definitely something behind the scenes.

Seems like a good signing though, a try before you buy for the coaching staff. He’s got to prove he’s worth a contract in the summer.

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

He’s come on Loan - he’s not making more money.

Unless he’s thinking the off season and wants to join on a permanent and then he could double or triple his wages.

It’s a good signing but I’d confused on his account.

You can and do on occasions pay more money in wages for loans and we are probably paying out more in wages for a reserve than FGR were for a starter