Luke McGee - Goalkeeper on loan until end of season

Caerphilly Ram

So how does the number of loanees named in a matchday squad work ?

I thought you could have quite a few loanees at the club but you can only name 5 in a matchday squad ?

If so, that's 1 who will be permanently named as we need a goalie on the bench, so this slightly restricts our other loan signings to 4 in a matchday squad.

McGee GK, Lewis Dobbin, Haydn Roberts , possible striker with Osula gone and maybe 1 other, CB or RB ?

Edited by SamUltraRam

18 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I thought you could have quite a few loanees at the club but you can only name 5 in a matchday squad ?

If so, that's 1 who will be permanently named as we need a goalie on the bench, so this slightly restricts our other loan signings to 4 in a matchday squad.

McGee GK, Lewis Dobbin, Haydn Roberts , possible striker with Osula gone and maybe 1 other, CB or RB ?

Rules are;

55.4.1  A maximum of 5 Players registered on a Temporary Loan Transfer can be named in the Players listed on a Team Sheet for any individual match played under the auspices of The League. This maximum shall reduce to 4 Players where a Club names a Player on the Team Sheet who is registered on an Emergency Goalkeeper Loan;

Taken from https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/efl-regulations/section-6---players/

So we can loan as many players as we want but only 5 can be named in a matchday squad, as you say 1 of them will be McGee. 3 more spots taken up by Dobbin, Roberts and Springett. So we can accommodate 1 more loanee if they’re all going to be guaranteed involvement in every squad OR we sign a few more and tell them and their clubs there’s no guarantee of playing. I think we only need another forward option anyway, so not the end of the world. Plus we could sign a free transfer on a permanent contract in the window and beyond up until a certain cut off date later in the season. 

23 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Also have Springett now so only one vacancy in matchday squad.

28 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

We don’t have to include the new goalkeeper on a match day unless we need him to start as we have always had someone on the bench so far this season - all that said it still leaves us with the opportunity to recruit one more on loan and we don’t get the impression that we are looking for a lot 

37 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

It doesn't affect us unless we actually have more than 5 players on loan at the club, which we don't, as you've stated.

I can't see us brining in any more than one more on loan tbh and in a scenario where we may need to drop a loan player from the squad, I'd say that McGee would be first to be dropped and Loach would warm the bench in case of emergency.

Seems a decent move. We probably needed someone who can come in and do a solid job if Wildsmith is out for any reason, so makes sense from that angle, especially with the try before you buy a loan brings. 

It does restrict our loan options to one more, however we may have no intention of bringing anymore loans in.

Good luck to the lad and welcome to the club!

• 5 months later...
On 30/01/2023 at 16:46, Norwichram2 said:

Totally fine by me. Try before you buy and we definitely needed a proper number 2. No disrespect to Loach but he is hardly the future.

Don’t think he’d fee disrespected from that. He is here to help the youngsters and get into coaching. He understands and is happy with his role