Port Vale (A) Tues 24th Jan

Warne needs to get into the lads at halftime. It's been a totally lethargic performance so far, bordering on complacent. After getting some flak on Saturday, only Curtis seems to have turned up thus far with a couple of very timely challenges. Didzy and Barks are uncharacteristically miles off the pace.  

Not a happy bunny! ?

Can understand the thinking for the long balls on the massive pitch but we seemed to be totally reliant on punting it forward the entire half as if that was the only brief. And the execution was pretty bad too. Pitch looks awful for passing but we can take these if we at least try to play a bit IMO. Game devoid of quality, the pitch and play was like Sunday League football. Confident we can win this if we take the game to them second half.

1 minute ago, Hoppo said:

We're hunting the ball down at every opportunity and pressing hard to win the ball back, it just seems that everytime we get it we don't have the composure to do anything with it and seem to play a long ball up. Not sure if that's the tactic, or if it's defined by the size and state of the pitch. Kniighty looks composed as always, but it's not been pretty so far.

Been a fair few poor passes too. One or two good chances, but lots of wasted opportunities.

Have to hope they run out of steam as they are looking dangerous coming forward.

Not pretty, but we did have a couple of chances and it’s 0-0 with a half to go, plus options on the bench. As others have said, a little more control and composure needed.

Their centre half is a wind up merchant, wonder if throwing Collins on to battle him is the right move or if Collins might end up lamping him and getting sent off ? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Although pitch is not the greatest we have looked better when we get it down and play …I don’t mind us trying to get it in behind them on a pitch this size but for me I’d get it to NML and Barks and say run at them as there is lots of space behind them ..we’ve had two good chances and decision making has to be better …one goal either way will win this …Dobbins pace maybe good in second half if he comes on but it’s become a 50/50 scrap and think we can control the game more 

We need to take control of the 2nd half. Port Vale are doing a great job of dragging us down to their level and making us scrap for the ball instead of retaining it. We need to get the ball down, string some passes together and the slow the tempo down, then attack with intent.

Warne will get into them, but Vale are a horrible team to play against.

I see us nicking it second half though, its tailored for the energy of Dobs and physical prowess of Collins.

?

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Been a fair few poor passes too. One or two good chances, but lots of wasted opportunities.

Have to hope they run out of steam as they are looking dangerous coming forward.

I’m on text commentary only Roy. Are they pressing hard -  as in looking like “they can’t keep this up for 90 mins” ?

it sounds very scrappy ? 

Not been good. Could’ve scored twice early but so could’ve they by half time. Their number 26 looks a decent player. 

Pitch isn’t good which isn’t helping, but it’s far too long without thought. Aimless even when there’s time or someone in a good position. Soft centre too in letting them past the midfield. 

Have to improve second half or this won’t end too well. 

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Cor it’s dropped cold at half time hasn’t it?

Sod it, I’m turning the heating up a notch.

Can you imagine paying travel money to go and watch that garbage. Sunday league quality that first half. Hopefully some one in our team will put their foot on the ball second half otherwise I will be asking for my full £10 back not just the £5. The only positive is that I am comfortably warm. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

I’m on text commentary only Roy. Are they pressing hard -  as in looking like “they can’t keep this up for 90 mins” ?

it sounds very scrappy ? 

It is quite scrappy with a fair amount of misplaced/underhit/overhit passes.

No good looking to the bench to change things either. So have to hope they tire.