Port Vale (A) Tues 24th Jan

12 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Few weeks back Derby were like mid-league and we ourselves at the top, and now look at it.   I mean seriously, what the hell.

If you beat Port Vales tomorrow and we lose to Morecambe then the distance will be reduced to just one point, unbelievable just a month or two back.   Yeah, I'm worried.  It's got to be said.    You got a game in hand over us also.  

I take the opportunity to congratulate Rams on moving up from mid-league to the verge of an automatic promotion opportunity, there's no malice or ill-feeling or why should there be, but a lot of our fans are getting mighty antsy about the time ahead having lost a number of valuable points in recent games.

I think teams like us, you look at the top two automatic promotion places and question can we really make it, you know, invade that territory and stick with it.    In truth I answer for my own team No, not sure how you feel about your own club endeavors for the months ahead, but you got to realize, it's a tough ask for sure.   

Probably said before teams like us, of previous stature and accomplishment, don't really belong in this league.   You know what the worse thing is, being at the very top for certain stages sure that you're going to do it, only to see your team fall away and people are asking questions is the play-offs the best thing to accept even at this stage of this season.   

It's going to be an interesting round of games tomorrow for sure.     Mentioned on a Town forum to our own fanbase (that) only the strong and whoever holds their nerve most  (from Plymouth to all top six club names) can, or will, only succeed in terms of a promotion.   

We have a small squad and still under EFL embargo so can't sign players other than frees and have a wage cap.  So a couple of injuries to key players and we are vulnerable; also our run will statistically (probability-wise) come to an end soon BUT that said Paul Warne has us playing a high-energy quicker style which is much more suited to League 1 rather than Rosenior's tippy-tappy possession-based "total Ajax-football circa 1975". I'm happy to make play-offs this year and if not we'll be stronger next season. I'm just enjoying having the EFL off our backs and the feel-good factor return thanks to our new owner (David Clowes) who is very clear-sighted and knows how to run a Club sustainably and with no interferences - just a gentle hand on the rudder. 

All the best to Tractor Boys - I'm sure your stutter is just short-term; once you hit top it is harder to stay there but I'm certain you'll come strong again and a couple of big results and as we know the complexion changes.    

Edited by Ellafella

15 hours ago, SKRam said:

Searched for the pitch size as mentioned in RB interview. I did think it was the largest playing surface in England but apparently not! This must be out of date as most searches say Man City is largest…. ?‍♂️

83CC3F01-16CE-4EB7-8181-94E22C8C9EC3.png

Port Vale's is officially the widest pitch in the EFL not the biggest so plenty of room for Bar's and NML - unless they narrow it just for today. 

This from Wikipedia

The pitch is clay underneath the grass, rather than sand. These two factors make the pitch vulnerable to freezing temperatures. It is an extremely dry pitch, which often makes passing football quite difficult. There is also a coal seam under the pitch, and numerous mine shafts dotted around the local area, including many under the park opposite the ground.

The Vale Park pitch is one of the widest in the Football League.The pitch was originally laid over a filled-in marl hole and does not have a subsoil structure so is liable to flooding as it lacks proper drainage; a complete re-laying of the pitch would be needed to fix the issue (the club were quoted £450,000 for this work in 2014

Sounds Good.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

This from Wikipedia

The pitch is clay underneath the grass, rather than sand. These two factors make the pitch vulnerable to freezing temperatures. It is an extremely dry pitch, which often makes passing football quite difficult. There is also a coal seam under the pitch, and numerous mine shafts dotted around the local area, including many under the park opposite the ground.

The Vale Park pitch is one of the widest in the Football League.The pitch was originally laid over a filled-in marl hole and does not have a subsoil structure so is liable to flooding as it lacks proper drainage; a complete re-laying of the pitch would be needed to fix the issue (the club were quoted £450,000 for this work in 2014

Sounds Good.

My back lawn is still like concrete after quite a lot of sun today. It’s not far to Port Vale but I hope it is not called off at about 7 o’clock tonight.

50 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Burton’s game off due to parts of their pitch being frozen. Doesn’t augur well …39 miles away from PV ?

Port Vale were saying earlier that the pitch is fit to play. The temperature in Burslem is not forecast to fall below 4 degrees C up to 11.00pm, so all things being equal we should be okay.

12 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Please explain why these clubs can’t get a huge sheet of plastic to cover the darned pitch. One club found a lady they bought one off, saved a fortune. They did thank her….. Ta Pauline 

I’ll get me coat 

I doubt your coat will cover the entire pitch but every little helps ?

It's these kind of games where the gaffer earns his coin IMO. No secret that we're not exactly loaded with playing staff, but we need to mind key personnel carefully. With hopefully another game or two in the FA Cup (if not more), it'll feel like half a season still to go to the likes of Didzy and co. 

I'd probably be tempted to let Jimmy soften up their CBs and maybe give Dobbin a run out in place of Barks whilst being prepared to change things up on the hour mark if things have not gone our way. It's tough for Warne as he'll be criticised for not resting the elders if they pick up injuries and criticised for breaking up a winning team if we don't win. It's why they earn the big dollars I guess!

I'd also be ushering Cashin and Sibley back in, though I'm not unduly concerned if we can't. I'm keeping everything crossed that we've a new striker and CB lined up, but the January window is a hateful time to be trying to find value, even with cash to spend on fees. That said, I fancy we can grab another 3 points tonight. We've a better side / squad than Port Vale by some way.

COYR