Marketing Opportunities/Commercial Revenue

rammieib

As someone on the other thread just commented about the Lower Guthrie being empty again today. Why are the club missing out on revenue opportunities? Say there are 200 seats there - that’s 200 x 23 x 120 quid = £552k of revenue (minus costs of course). Generally there is always a demand for hospitality so I’m really surprised at this.

Secondly - marketing posters in the toilet - just a minor thing but empty again. Maybe £5 - £10k of revenue a season?

Who is responsible for this at the club currently? 

The club has also missed a trick with the Paul Warne Bobble Hat! There may have been a few available just after he arrived, but they have been unavailable for ages. I asked at the club shop re a Christmas present, only to be told that they would be in stock by February. So we have missed an incredible opportunity to cash in on Warne mania, we have missed the Christmas bonanza and will have them available just as the weather starts to warm up and we don't need bobble hats.

After all, it is only a bobble hat, which are not difficult to manufacture. Given that there are potentially over 30,000 customers, surely a manufacturer could have produced these in a matter of days. So not only could we have had a load of funds raised, we could have had a great "unifying" of the fans, and a great marketing message, because a crowd covered in snow-storm bobble hats would have got loads of media coverage.

At least i can scratch my head about this one, because there isn't a bobble hat in the way!

21 minutes ago, rammieib said:

As someone on the other thread just commented about the Lower Guthrie being empty again today. Why are the club missing out on revenue opportunities? Say there are 200 seats there - that’s 200 x 23 x 120 quid = £552k of revenue (minus costs of course). Generally there is always a demand for hospitality so I’m really surprised at this.

Secondly - marketing posters in the toilet - just a minor thing but empty again. Maybe £5 - £10k of revenue a season?

I enquired about the shirt sponsor earlier in the season and was staggered with how cost-effective it was, purely on a fact finding mission on my part but it was half the price I thought it would be and plenty of benefits on top. 

Resulted in me being frustrated with how badly the club have pushed these opportunities, honestly a good person in that role should be able to bring in at least an additional £2m of income. 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

The club has also missed a trick with the Paul Warne Bobble Hat! There may have been a few available just after he arrived, but they have been unavailable for ages. I asked at the club shop re a Christmas present, only to be told that they would be in stock by February. So we have missed an incredible opportunity to cash in on Warne mania, we have missed the Christmas bonanza and will have them available just as the weather starts to warm up and we don't need bobble hats.

After all, it is only a bobble hat, which are not difficult to manufacture. Given that there are potentially over 30,000 customers, surely a manufacturer could have produced these in a matter of days. So not only could we have had a load of funds raised, we could have had a great "unifying" of the fans, and a great marketing message, because a crowd covered in snow-storm bobble hats would have got loads of media coverage.

At least i can scratch my head about this one, because there isn't a bobble hat in the way!

I went into the club shop on the 21st December and there was quite a few bobble hats? Or maybe they were just woolly hats and not bobble ones?

But yes agreed - target audience, maybe 500-1000 at £15 with a 300% mark up. All of these small things add up - it’s what the big clubs do really well on IMO. 

Anyone know how the contract with Fanatics works though for club merchandise/club shop?

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I went into the club shop on the 21st December and there was quite a few bobble hats? Or maybe they were just woolly hats and not bobble ones?

But yes agreed - target audience, maybe 500-1000 at £15 with a 300% mark up. All of these small things add up - it’s what the big clubs do really well on IMO. 

Anyone know how the contract with Fanatics works though for club merchandise/club shop?

That’s what allows clubs like City go out and buy Haaland.

We unfortunately lost one of the best in the sports marketing business during administration with Faye Nixon being made redundant. She'd been at the club in various marketing roles since the early 2000's bar a quick romance at West Brom for a few months before returning. She'd been head of marketing for circa 13 years and was a huge part of the club overall not just in marketing. Total injustice that she was let go, especially when the club needed to raise cash which you'd think good marketing would do.

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I have always thought they miss the mark on merch. 
there’s a massive surge in accessorising your pet. Pet blankets, dog leads, food bowls, dog coats, pet beds are all things that people are interested in now. There should be a section in the shop for it. (Sorry if there is now, not been in for a few months). 

Have to agree with this.  As soon as I laid eyes on a DCFC soft bone in the shop before Xmas, it was instantly purchased for my pooch.  But I think that was the only thing they did pet wise.  I'd gladly spaff away good money on a dog bed or blanket for him...

On 02/01/2023 at 23:16, Ambitious said:

I enquired about the shirt sponsor earlier in the season and was staggered with how cost-effective it was, purely on a fact finding mission on my part but it was half the price I thought it would be and plenty of benefits on top. 

Resulted in me being frustrated with how badly the club have pushed these opportunities, honestly a good person in that role should be able to bring in at least an additional £2m of income. 

It' not effective, though.  Shirt advertising is grandiose. Unless you are advertising at DCFC fans, you basically put budget into a longish term commitment that is fleetingly seen (and when it is it is by the same people each time.  Pitchside is more effective and flexible - it also doesn't tie you to one club to detriment of other.  

There is the Old Firm issue that if Carling sponsor one they need to sponsor both, otherwise one side think it's "the other side's beer" and don't buy it. 

I have always thought football clubs should get a Credit Card franchise and advertise those on club shirts; we would have the "Rams-Card".  That way, you get the right market with a profitable product that doesn't lose clients' the other side of the A52 (as they'd have the  Forest Card).    Vertical integration is the way to maximise revenue.

On 02/01/2023 at 22:50, rammieib said:

This is the academy seating. All the scholars and staff use this area to attend games. The u21s sit behind the away dug out. Maybe this would change if they re open the bar as a corporate venture but I guess that would depend on demand…? 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

I don’t understand why the two cafes are shut nearly all the time. Even when i visited when it was open The Yard wasn’t selling proper food. I thought it was meant to be a restaurant .. it used to be I think. Now it’s just a bar that is open when they feel like it. 

Weren't they run as a kind of JV between the club and an outside company whose name escapes me? That agreement was possibly a casualty of Administration and the club don't yet have the wherewithal to run it to its full potential? 

I asked about booking a table at the Yard late last year. They could not tell me if it was opening again.

I guess the club are assessing all the options to generate more money, I wonder how viable the Yard is outside of matchday. There are some other restaurants nearby so there must be some demand.

33 minutes ago, Beetle said:

I asked about booking a table at the Yard late last year. They could not tell me if it was opening again.

I guess the club are assessing all the options to generate more money, I wonder how viable the Yard is outside of matchday. There are some other restaurants nearby so there must be some demand.

On our match day visits from the South Coast we used to always book a table at the yard. Was a great way to set up for the game. Shame its not fully open.

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel