January Window

1of4

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Can they realistically when all clubs are already operating at a loss? I wouldn't describe that as frugal? 

We are being punished for financial indiscretions, so of course we're at a disadvantage. That's entirely reasonable. It'll benefit the club in the long run.

We were directly punished woth a 12 point deduction for entering administration. We were then indirectly punished by losing a lot of players at a fraction of their true value, and relegation, and being unable to extend contracts ultimately losing even more players.

Even if we were allowed to pay fees, we'd still be punished by being limited to a wage cap smaller (as a percentage) than any other club in the division.

The business plan isnt supoosed to be a punishment, but rather an assurnace that the club doesnt enter administration again.

I've used this comparison before... If we were 'punished' proportionally to Wigan, we'd be allowed to spend up to £2m on a single player.

4 hours ago, Srg said:

That’s more than obvious that isn’t the case though, don’t think it would be that hard to write the laws to avoid teams doing that. 

Could be wrong here, but aren’t there rules about new owners getting more grace on their spending for a period when it comes to FFP, or has that been changed?

I dont recall their ever being a rule like that. I do recall a bit of Chinese whispers saying a club starts from a £0 P&S position upon a new owner taking over (even if they were on the cusp of a £39m loss situation), but that was a load of bull.

4 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Interesting that he said he's not sure if it's a loan or permanent.

Possibly someone who's contract is up in the summer?

Warne previously suggested one of the signings was with a 'more long term view in mind'. You could interpret that many ways, but I see it as a player in the 26-30 age range. 18 month initial deal, with the view to adding more on when we can. Mostly likely out of contract in the summer too.

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We were directly punished woth a 12 point deduction for entering administration. We were then indirectly punished by losing a lot of players at a fraction of their true value, and relegation, and being unable to extend contracts ultimately losing even more players.

Even if we were allowed to pay fees, we'd still be punished by being limited to a wage cap smaller (as a percentage) than any other club in the division.

The business plan isnt supoosed to be a punishment, but rather an assurnace that the club doesnt enter administration again.

I've used this comparison before... If we were 'punished' proportionally to Wigan, we'd be allowed to spend up to £2m on a single player.

Every club in administration suffers that. But in going through all that, we now own our stadium again (I think)? and are debt free as far as I know, so ultimately that probably offsets the losses? 

Wage cap as a percentage, but not as a total. Our wage bill will still be larger than plenty of the clubs in the division. And really that is what matters when it comes to competing in the league, rather than as a percentage. 

The business plan isn't supposed to be a punishment, but is in effect one. It's sensible to put in place. Making a club cut their cloth accordingly is really no bad thing, and will help a great deal in getting Derby back into decent shape. I think it's fairly reasonable. 

Genuine question, without knowing the ins and outs of the finances within the clubs, how can you comment on whether or not we were punished accordingly? Seems difficult to make a claim one way or the other. 

The business plan shouldn't be a punishment, it should ensure that we don't get in trouble again, which I fully understand and agree with. What I don't agree with is, the extra controls within the business plan. It is scandalous and has no merit that we can't spend part of our budget on transfer or loan fees. 100k spent on a transfer fee doesn't cost the club more than 100k spent on players' wages and doesn't have any more detrimental affect on the business, which is after all, the purpose of the business plan.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My understanding is: the business plan is also intended to ensure clubs don’t benefit from going into admin by wiping off a load of debt, then spending a shed load on players. Seems fair enough 

The Wigan point is as devious as it is compelling. You’d have to compare every aspect of the two clubs’ trauma to assess whether one or the other got a worse deal from the EFL. Many from other clubs look at our squad and think we got off lightly. All I’d say is we have a fighting chance of promotion and if that’s where we stand after the $hit storm, we have little to complain about  

6 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Darnell Fisher signing. Agreed ro end contract with Boro and he is joining on a permanent deal.

Excellent signing.

Warne has come out numerous times and said that he’s not interested in Fisher, categorically. 

It would certainly be a surprise. 

18 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Darnell Fisher signing. Agreed ro end contract with Boro and he is joining on a permanent deal.

Excellent signing.

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Warne has come out numerous times and said that he’s not interested in Fisher, categorically. 

6 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

No he hasn't. Nelson yes. Not Fisher.

Warne normally plays a straight bat, and here the DET writes: "Derby County head coach Paul Warne says there is zero truth in speculation that he is interested in signing Middlesbrough defender Darnell Fisher."

But maybe this is how he does his transfers? I would be surprised if we brought in Fisher when he hasn't played for so very long, as I think it would be hard for him to contribute for the rest of the season. It's tough to get up to speed when we don't have the luxury of bringing a player up to fitness. Every single point counts.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfers-darnell-fisher-7723354

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Warne normally plays a straight bat, and here the DET writes: "Derby County head coach Paul Warne says there is zero truth in speculation that he is interested in signing Middlesbrough defender Darnell Fisher."

But maybe this is how he does his transfers? I would be surprised if we brought in Fisher when he hasn't played for so very long, as I think it would be hard for him to contribute for the rest of the season. It's tough to get up to speed when we don't have the luxury of bringing a player up to fitness. Every single point counts.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfers-darnell-fisher-7723354

January window, no money to spend, maybe Darnell was a target for the summer, and circumstances mean we can secure him now? 

It doesn't mean he'll be straight in, obviously, but sometimes the cards fall a certain way in a deal. 

Had a good appearance record in his 3 seasons at Rotherham.

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He said that Fisher is a player that he knows well and while January provides a good chance for some fresh faces to come in, there is ‘zero truth’ in the reports.

“I got told the other day that I had been linked with Darnell Fisher,” he said.

“There is zero truth in that. I know Darnell really well. If I want him I’d just phone him. So there is zero truth in that. It was said it was off a good source, but there is no better source than me.”

4 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Excellent signing.

Just can't see this I'm afraid mate.

The bloke has been out of action for the last 18 months.

Got injured at home in the summer of 2021 when a friend fell on his knee.

Missed all of last season and so far has missed all of this season.

Back in training but still picking up niggles due to being out so long and still no timeframe set on when he will play. 

Absolutely no point in signing a player who has been out that long with still no idea of when he will be fit. 

Might as well see how the next 6 months go for him, see if he can get back playing and then potentially look at him in the summer when his contract is up.

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Just can't see this I'm afraid mate.

The bloke has been out of action for the last 18 months.

Got injured at home in the summer of 2021 when a friend fell on his knee.

Missed all of last season and so far has missed all of this season.

Back in training but still picking up niggles due to being out so long and still no timeframe set on when he will play. 

Absolutely no point in signing a player who has been out that long with still no idea of when he will be fit. 

Might as well see how the next 6 months go for him, see if he can get back playing and then potentially look at him in the summer when his contract is up.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12139393/fa-look-into-fishers-alleged-grab-of-players-genitals

A load of balls I reckon