Mr William Osula

Day

I liked him, quick, excellent finisher, height. Think he’ll have a good career. 

May have been worth just giving a run of games ahead of Collins but, I wasn’t calling for it at the time either, is what it is.

On the other hand, may have been just a bit too early in his development.

I’d have kept him but at the same time not really bothered he’s left either.

The word is that Sheffield United are arranging a loan with another club. In other words they were not happy that he was getting virtually no game time. 

Me too. His best role is as the Number 9, but that role is almost permanently occupied by Warne’s love child. Collins works tremendously hard, and does well linking play together, but doesn’t really do much of the target man job, and is often not in the middle when crosses come in. All Isula has been given is a few minutes here and there stuck out on the wing to prove his worth as a number 9.

At least Derby don’t do that with any of our other players, is it? …………. Oh wait …….

I wish him well, and will not be surprised if he progresses well at a club who play to his strengths.

Here’s hoping we are lining up another striker because there’s a place on the bench that needs filling.

13 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The word is that Sheffield United are arranging a loan with another club. In other words they were not happy that he was getting virtually no game time. 

Me too. His best role is as the Number 9, but that role is almost permanently occupied by Warne’s love child. Collins works tremendously hard, and does well linking play together, but doesn’t really do much of the target man job, and is often not in the middle when crosses come in. All Isula has been given is a few minutes here and there stuck out on the wing to prove his worth as a number 9.

At least Derby don’t do that with any of our other players, is it? …………. Oh wait …….

I wish him well, and will not be surprised if he progresses well at a club who play to his strengths.

Here’s hoping we are lining up another striker because there’s a place on the bench that needs filling.

'Warne's love child' has scored some very important goals this season and will score more important goals if we are to achieve what we want to achieve. He's won us points, sets the tone in most games for the intensity and winning the ball up the pitch.

He isn't a 20 odd goal a season man, if he was he'd be playing at the top end of the Championship. We are in League 1. 

Such a weird place this forum, when someone questions someone who has gone unbeaten for 15 games not to mention his success at getting out this league with no budget time and time again. 

19 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

'Warne's love child' has scored some very important goals this season and will score more important goals if we are to achieve what we want to achieve. He's won us points, sets the tone in most games for the intensity and winning the ball up the pitch.

He isn't a 20 odd goal a season man, if he was he'd be playing at the top end of the Championship. We are in League 1. 

Such a weird place this forum, when someone questions someone who has gone unbeaten for 15 games not to mention his success at getting out this league with no budget time and time again. 

To be fair, Collins has scored 7 in 20 in the league so far.

If you were to extrapolate that over 46 games, it doesn't put him far off 20 goals.

39 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

If Osula had shown something, anything, when coming on as a sub he'd have earned more playing time. He didn't and has pretty much lived off the back of his early performances against the giants of Accrington & Torquay. To suggest he should have started games over Collins is laughable.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

If only Warne listened to us experts on this forum rather than rely on his own experience,  knowledge what sort of player he wants and what makes a good player?

27 minutes ago, Carnero said:

If Osula had shown something, anything, when coming on as a sub he'd have earned more playing time. He didn't and has pretty much lived off the back of his early performances against the giants of Accrington & Torquay. To suggest he should have started games over Collins is laughable.

Yes. But as with Sibley and other players over our recent history Osula has been consistently played out of position, virtually always in 10 minute cameos where he has barely had time to get up the speed of the game. Yes it would be great if he could come on and be a game changer, like Jason Knight was the other day, but usually people who do a “super-sub” appearance are playing in their best position. Osula has hardly been given a chance. Even so, several times he has made an impact with his strong running and decisive play. It must be that his work in training is lacking somewhat such that he has limits put on him on match day.

And as regards Collins: sorry if I was a but disparaging - he does a lot of very valuable work, and my comments were more on his last few appearances where he has been far less effective. 

I suppose I could have complained that Collins being injured was the ideal opportunity to give Osula a run out where he plays best, but then we wouldn’t have had McGoldrick and Knight running the show against the Accers. But that is what you get when you use players to their strengths, which is kind of my point about Osula.

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If only Warne listened to us experts on this forum rather than rely on his own experience,  knowledge what sort of player he wants and what makes a good player?

And while we ate at it, Warne could advise me about driving HGVs!

I’ll get me coat!

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

To be fair, Collins has scored 7 in 20 in the league so far.

If you were to extrapolate that over 46 games, it doesn't put him far off 20 goals.

Prolific! Not sure what people expect, i'm glad Warne can see what he brings though!

Anything up towards 15 goals will be great, added to Didzy's - it's exactly what we need

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I agree with a lot of your posts Dave but have to disagree with this one, I don't think Osula has been badly treated I just don't think he's done enough ( and  don't forget we don't see them in training ) to get a regular starting place in front of Collins

My own view is that this loan was a bit early and had he gone to a Forest Green or Accrington he would've got more time in his preferred role.

When I heard he had gone back I wasn't dissapointed to be honest as I think there are better options than young Osula but i wish him well for the future .....guaranteed to score against us at some time in the future though lol , that seems to be the trend 

On 05/01/2023 at 18:58, S8TY said:

I agree with a lot of your posts Dave but have to disagree with this one, I don't think Osula has been badly treated I just don't think he's done enough ( and  don't forget we don't see them in training ) to get a regular starting place in front of Collins

My own view is that this loan was a bit early and had he gone to a Forest Green or Accrington he would've got more time in his preferred role.

When I heard he had gone back I wasn't dissapointed to be honest as I think there are better options than young Osula but i wish him well for the future .....guaranteed to score against us at some time in the future though lol , that seems to be the trend 

Not agreeing is part and parcel of this forum, and we'd be the poorer if it didn't happen. But you have to admit that he has hardly had any opportunity in his best position, usually being stuck out on the wing. And i did refer to us not knowing what he was like in training. But it isn't as though Derby County aren't without precedent for this - it has been a consistent part of what we do for over 20 years - Lee Holmes, for example. He was a really exciting, really quick winger or spent loads of time on the bench, usually coming on with 7, 8 or 10 minutes to go, often when the t4am were losing. When he did come on, he made things happen, creating chances, even scoring goals. This was in a struggling team that couldn't score goals! But it was rarely on the left wing, which was his position. Sometimes it was the number 10 role, which he was ok at, but usually he would be put on the right wing. He was so left-footed that putting him out on the right was like tying both his feet together. And so we let him go out on loan because he "didn't do the business". When Will Hughes came back from his ACL injury, we played him as Defensive MIdfield. Our most creative player in a defenive role? Come on. We did to Georgi Kinkladze, one of the most slkilfull midfielders to grace our pitch. When he wasn't on the pitch, he too was stuck out on the wing, and often spent his time staring up at the sky as the ball wizzed about 3 miles above his head. The only time he was played "in the hole
" he destroyed Aston Villa. Again in a team that tended to struggle. I could go on, because the list is long.

Even played out of position, he may well have started to produce the goods if he was given a run of a few games - Louie Dibley is a good case in point. We had been wasting his talents for nearly 2 seasons, and he was being viewed by many in the same way as Osula. But look at him now - completely out of position, but starting to produce the goods because he has had time to settle into his role.

We will never know what could have happened. Let's hope he goes to a team that will use him to his strengths.

Not agreeing is part and parcel of this forum, and we'd be the poorer if it didn't happen. But you have to admit that he has hardly had any opportunity in his best position, usually being stuck out on the wing. And i did refer to us not knowing what he was like in training. But it isn't as though Derby County aren't without precedent for this - it has been a consistent part of what we do for over 20 years - Lee Holmes, for example. He was a really exciting, really quick winger or spent loads of time on the bench, usually coming on with 7, 8 or 10 minutes to go, often when the t4am were losing. When he did come on, he made things happen, creating chances, even scoring goals. This was in a struggling team that couldn't score goals! But it was rarely on the left wing, which was his position. Sometimes it was the number 10 role, which he was ok at, but usually he would be put on the right wing. He was so left-footed that putting him out on the right was like tying both his feet together. And so we let him go out on loan because he "didn't do the business". When Will Hughes came back from his ACL injury, we played him as Defensive MIdfield. Our most creative player in a defenive role? Come on. We did to Georgi Kinkladze, one of the most slkilfull midfielders to grace our pitch. When he wasn't on the pitch, he too was stuck out on the wing, and often spent his time staring up at the sky as the ball wizzed about 3 miles above his head. The only time he was played "in the hole
" he destroyed Aston Villa. Again in a team that tended to struggle. I could go on, because the list is long.

Even played out of position, he may well have started to produce the goods if he was given a run of a few games - Louie Dibley is a good case in point. We had been wasting his talents for nearly 2 seasons, and he was being viewed by many in the same way as Osula. But look at him now - completely out of position, but starting to produce the goods because he has had time to settle into his role.

We will never know what could have happened. Let's hope he goes to a team that will use him to his strengths.

I agree Dave (tbf, I nearly always do agree with you), young William should have had a lot more minutes imo. No criticism to Warney, he's doing fine, I just think Osula was a major threat and 20 minutes every match would have really tested most teams in this league, especially if Collins had spent 70 minutes giving them grief.

" he destroyed Aston Villa.
Again in a team that tended to struggle. I could go on, because the list is long.

A phenomenal player but his fitness was well below par and his nutrition was disgraceful.  Practically every time I went in the Eagle Centre he was at that stall that sold the really potent little donuts with a whole box of em open and disappearing down his trap.  He should have kept us up and absolutely dominated the championship if not .  A waste of talent rather than out of position.

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I personally think you're making him sound like he was better than he actually was Dave.

When you get oppurtunuties you have to take them, there are plenty of young players who grab the oppurtunities given to them but I'm afraid for me young Osula didn't.

He did well against lesser opposition but his first touch was not the best and he didn't hold the ball up when sometimes it was required.

hes a young lad and we will see what he achieves and where he ends up but in truth i think letting him go back was a good move for all

14 hours ago, S8TY said:

I personally think you're making him sound like he was better than he actually was Dave.

When you get oppurtunuties you have to take them, there are plenty of young players who grab the oppurtunities given to them but I'm afraid for me young Osula didn't.

He did well against lesser opposition but his first touch was not the best and he didn't hold the ball up when sometimes it was required.

hes a young lad and we will see what he achieves and where he ends up but in truth i think letting him go back was a good move for all

I agree with you about a wasted opportunity. I remember watching the "Save Our Beautiful Game" series with Peter Crouch working like mad to try and save Dulwich Town (?) FC, the club where he started out. There was a really talented striker there who seemed to assume that the footballing world were going to hand him a career on a plate, and all he had to do was hold his hand out. The programme showed Peter Crouch having several chats with him after he kept getting dropped, but it seems the lad never really bothered to take his chance. What a waste. I hope Osula doesn't go the same way. I was also shocked by Gee Screamer's revelations about his dietary compromises.

Good bye, Will.

38 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I agree with you about a wasted opportunity. I remember watching the "Save Our Beautiful Game" series with Peter Crouch working like mad to try and save Dulwich Town (?) FC, the club where he started out. There was a really talented striker there who seemed to assume that the footballing world were going to hand him a career on a plate, and all he had to do was hold his hand out. The programme showed Peter Crouch having several chats with him after he kept getting dropped, but it seems the lad never really bothered to take his chance. What a waste. I hope Osula doesn't go the same way. I was also shocked by Gee Screamer's revelations about his dietary compromises.

Good bye, Will.

If you check the sentence that is bolded you can see it's about Kinkladze.