Who is the new no.8 we've signed?

RoyMac5

What a difference that was! I always remember when he and Knight were starting to get game time under Cocu and they combined for Knight to score against Charlton (just as Rooney joined as a player). 

Hopefully now Max can become that awesome modern midfielder that we knew he was capable of being. The second goal yesterday exemplifies what I mean. 

Keep this up young man. Great performance. Brilliant to see. 

All credit to PW. There’s nothing more frustrating than seeing fine player playing in the wrong position. We’ve seen it with Knight, Sibley, Bird - all youngsters who should be improving rapidly. If you get your 3 or 4 best players playing in their best positions surely that’s better than ramming them into some system or other. Build the system around your best players. Onwards ...

Over the past 18 months or so I have been one of Birds biggest critics partly due to the system and position he was playing. Started when he was playing alongside Rooney and felt the need to pass to him constantly, hence why Rooney called him out to be excellent. He slowly turned into this safe, less aggressive, playing on a possession based system that simply passed him by. 

Thank the Lord that this new system is allowing him to make an impact on the game. Long may it continue. 

Well done for yesterday Max. 

For that second goal he won the ball deep in their half, ran to the edge of their box and got it back then played a delicious little disguised pass after half feigning to shoot that took out two of their defenders. Superb. Don't worry folks, Warne knows how good he is  

He was everywhere. The biggest and best change for me was building from the back. Wildsmith either quickly rolled it out to Bird if he was deep enough, or got it down field. No sideways passing from CB to CB forcing Birdy to come back to start every move.

I really think this will be his breakout year. He's so much more than a defensive midfield kicker. That switch pass for the 2nd was glorious.

On 02/10/2022 at 09:14, angieram said:

We need a song for Birdy (that doesn't involve saying bye bye) as soon as possible. We're going to need it!

Can’t we just have the real “Birdy” song … it would a heck of laugh and pretty original with the right words 

1 hour ago, NorwichExile said:

He was everywhere. The biggest and best change for me was building from the back. Wildsmith either quickly rolled it out to Bird if he was deep enough, or got it down field. No sideways passing from CB to CB forcing Birdy to come back to start every move.

I really think this will be his breakout year. He's so much more than a defensive midfield kicker. That switch pass for the 2nd was glorious.

That was real football. Had the vision to wait for Collins’ run off towards the bye line, the composure to keep the ball and draw all 3 defenders in, then the skill to slide the pass in with the sweetest weight and timing all with 3 desperate defenders nipping his ankles. Loved it. Thought the angle was too tight for Collins, but he’s a striker.