Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

9 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Automatic promotion must be the aim this season, especially with some well thought out moves in the window. We’ve currently got the second best defensive record despite not having a proper right back ( which is a big compliment to the players that have fitted in there so far). The Bolton game will be a big statement if we take 3 points .

I agree. We have had our period of acclimatisation in this league and have dropped some very disappointing points in the process - Charlton, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, Plymouth, Lincoln, Port Vale, Exeter, Morecambe and Burton are all games where on the day we could and should have taken more points from the games. If with a couple or more signings we become more resilient then we can build on our current unbeaten run and move further up the table.

This team should nail a play-off place without doubt but top two is still a possibility. We are now more difficult to beat but need to be more ruthless. To reach the 92 points that seems to be the popular benchmark for the automatics, we can only afford to drop a further 17 points from 25 games. At the minute that is tough but far from impossible. So while we have some hope, I am remaining optimistic for a push for the top.

COYR

27 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

We 'just' need to put a run of consecutive wins together. If you do that you can race up the table. We did that under McLaren around this time of the season I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong

We did that in every one of the promotion seasons in the past 60 years and in both of the League Championship seasons, It's far from impossible. Sheffield Wednesday took 52 points from their last 25 games last season but missed the automatics. We need about 58.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Why would anybody not celebrate just because the level we had escaped from was lower?

Also, I don't see how we could compare his achievements, good or bad, with his predecessors. The standard of opposition is obviously lower but so is the budget and pool of players available to Warne. 

4 hours ago, Archied said:

But surely it’s all relative , we may not be up against the same level of opposition but we also do not have the same level of players ,play offs are play offs at any level and so so much of it comes down to the manager getting the players heads in the right place , picking the right team and managing the game as it pans out 

My post... and the one preceding it... were in DIRECT response to the following comment by @jimtastic56:
"But after 4 unsuccessful attempts at the play-offs can Warne do what the likes of McClaren could not do".

I made no reference to not celebrating a successful outcome this season.

You can over-analyse my response(s) to your hearts content, should that be your want, but I was merely pointing out that Mr Warne won't even get the chance to do that until the end of next (23/24) season.  A successful outcome this season still would not have achieved what "the like of McClaren could not do", as that was simply and purely to win The Championship Play Offs.
Yes, he could well win the play off this season, and by God yes, yes, and thrice yes, we should all be jubilant should that be so... as will I, obvs!... but that still wouldn't put Mr Warne one step ahead of "the likes of McClaren", who were vying to win The Championship Play Offs. 
If that be the case, should we go on a Phantasmagorical run good enough to finish top this season, will that put Mr Warne on a par with what Mr Clough snr achieved with us... or Mr Mackay, for that matter... Winning a league x 1?  ?‍♂️  I think not!  ?

Be assured... By their very nature, all of my posts... on any subject... are rather simple, uncomplicated, and unworthy of such analysis.  They really aren't worth such effort, on the reader's part!  

?

10 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

My post... and the one preceding it... were in DIRECT response to the following comment by @jimtastic56:
"But after 4 unsuccessful attempts at the play-offs can Warne do what the likes of McClaren could not do".

You can over-analyse my response(s) to your hearts content, should that be your want, but I was merely pointing out that Mr Warne won't even get the chance to do that until the end of next (23/24) season.  A successful outcome this season still would not have achieved what "the like of McClaren could not do", as that was simply and purely to win The Championship Play Offs.
Yes, he could well win the play off this season, and by God yes, yes, and thrice yes, we should all be jubilant should that be so... as will I, obvs!... but that still wouldn't put Mr Warne one step ahead of "the likes of McClaren", who were vying to win The Championship Play Offs. 
If that be the case, should we go on a Phantasmagorical run good enough to finish top this season, will that put Mr Warne on a par with what Mr Clough snr achieved with us... or Mr Mackay, for that matter... Winning a league x 1?  ?‍♂️  I think not!  ?

Be assured... By their very nature, all of my posts... on any subject... are rather simple, uncomplicated, and unworthy of such analysis.  They really aren't worth such effort, on the reader's part!  

?

Sorry. What were you saying? I gave up after "My post".

?

13 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

?

I agree. They really aren't.

21 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don’t think you can say Steve Mac was cautious ?

Only my opinion- But I think McLaren should have brought Bamford on for Wisdom , as soon as QPR went down to 10 men. Rowett was cautious in the 2nd leg v Fulham. But Wassell had to go for it away to Hull in the 2nd leg. ( one of the best games I have ever been to). 5th time lucky with Warne?

31 minutes ago, alram said:

I don’t think autos are a realistic goal, the top teams simply won’t drop enough points for us to catch them and there is too little room for error - which we seem keen on making this season.

playoffs should be the goal, if we don’t make them it will be a massive disappointment with the players we have

Whilst I think you’re probably right, anything can happen in this league. Who would have expected Ipswich to drop points at home against Lincoln, Cheltenham an Fleetwood since we last lost a league game or for Plymouth to have only one of their last 5 league games?

I think any failure to catch the top two is more likely to be down to us not being able to put together an extended run of wins (rather than draws).

In other words, I think the opportunity to make up the difference might well present itself but I don’t think we’ll manage to take advantage.

Edited by Tamworthram

On 24/12/2022 at 10:00, Tamworthram said:

Whilst I think you’re probably right, anything can happen in this league. Who would have expected Ipswich to drop points at home against Lincoln, Cheltenham an Fleetwood since we last lost a league game or for Plymouth to have only one of their last 5 league games?

I think any failure to catch the top two is more likely to be down to us not being able to put together an extended run of wins (rather than draws).

In other words, I think the opportunity to make up the difference might well present itself but I don’t think we’ll manage to take advantage.

Sorry but I disagree, Plymouth are on track for 100 points, unless their form drops off, we will only be able to drop 9 points for the rest of the season. If there were only 2 clubs that far ahead, I would think that one of them would falter, but we're going to have to rely on 2 of the 3 faltering, in order to make the autos.

Watching the Blackpool goal v Hull tonight, reminded me of LR's ridiculous tactics of messing around at the back.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Sorry but I disagree, Plymouth are on track for 100 points, unless their form drops off, we will only be able to drop 9 points for the rest of the season. If there were only 2 clubs that far ahead, I would think that one of them would falter, but we're going to have to rely on 2 of the 3 faltering, in order to make the autos.

Watching the Blackpool goal v Hull tonight, reminded me of LR's ridiculous tactics of messing around at the back.

I think at the end of the transfer window we will have an idea about most of the teams, who have they sold / signed ( including us ) has the manager been poached by a championship club etc 

6 hours ago, ram59 said:

If there were only 2 clubs that far ahead, I would think that one of them would falter, but we're going to have to rely on 2 of the 3 faltering, in order to make the autos.

This is the key bit that makes the autos impossible this season.

The goal for this team should be 4th place. Get a home game for the 2nd leg of the playoff semi.

On 23/12/2022 at 12:02, Wolfie said:

While I agree with that, it's quite a gap to the top 2 - points wise.

I can't see us failing to make the playoffs now, based on what you've said, but I definitely can see us failing to make up the 11 points to 2nd

Gap is 14 points. But we do have 2 games in hand. Win those and it’s still a big ask. Problem you have in this league is the top of the league is a lot better than the bottom, so then dropping points isn’t as common. 

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

But that was my point. Their form, or at least their results, did drop off for a while as evidenced by only one win in 5 (prior to yesterday). 

As I said in my original post, I don’t think it will happen but you never know in this league.

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I think at the end of the transfer window we will have an idea about most of the teams, who have they sold / signed ( including us ) has the manager been poached by a championship club etc 

Yeah Bristol City fans seemed keen on the Plymouth manager ?