Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Lets hope he does well.  He needs to after that interview where he was sorry Sheff Wednesday got relegated instead of us .  Most seem to have forgotten that, I won't.  Perhaps those few players still here from then will ask him about it when he's given them some motivational drivel.

He explained that interview well 

I’m massively impressed by how he spoke during the presser, sounds likeable, relatable, open and honest. Spoke in realistic and pragmatic terms about the club, the squad and the league, especially pleased to hear him address some of the public concerns raised around playing style (“when you have footballers you play football, athletes you play to their strengths, we’ve got footballers who will soon realise how good they are as athletes too” a bit paraphrased there ?) and his post match comments when we stayed up (it was an emotional moment for him as his mate was relegated).

I also admire his honesty about the Rosenior situation, more realism in that he acknowledged LR’s good work and talent but that it would have been unworkable for him to stay on the staff. 
Most impressive for me though, was the conviction with which he spoke, he knows himself well, knows his team of staff and believes in what he has to say. There were times when LR spoke and said the right things, being so likeable I wanted to believe him, but the conviction was missing in his voice. Warne has that conviction which will hopefully help him succeed with the Rams. Interesting times ? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

11 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Yes , that was interesting Roy. Sounds like everyone is going to get much fitter. I have been looking at Rotherham highlights and there are no short free kicks in the opposition half- they all go into the box. So 3 centre half’s are expected to go up for them and get back quickly.Lots of running to do.

Yes, although I think his main point was that you play to the strengths of your players - so that makes a good change! ?

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Lets hope he does well.  He needs to after that interview where he was sorry Sheff Wednesday got relegated instead of us .  Most seem to have forgotten that, I won't.  Perhaps those few players still here from then will ask him about it when he's given them some motivational drivel.

Can't really fault him for that imho, he was looking out for his own club at the time. 

Lets face it, MM pi$$ed a lot of people off - the players, us fans, the EFL and of course other teams such as Rotherham and Sheff Weds who were relegated that season.  If PW was sounding off against Derby players or fans, fair enough, but I think everyone knew where the blame lay and who they were talking about when they criticised Derby. 

Thankfully we've moved on and DC is repairing the damage, so much so that someone that wouldn't have given us a second glance a few months ago is now our Head Coach and excited about the challenge ahead.

COYR

4 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I've just listened to Paul Warne's press conference live on Radio Derby and all I can say is Wow!

His communications skills are excellent, he comes across as fluent, wholly honest, refreshing, ambitious, knowledgeable passionate and enthusiastic. He wants to win games and entertain the fans because he knows they demand that. He promised nothing other than we will do our absolute best. I can't wait for Saturday. I think any player worth his salt is going to love playing for this guy. I understand now how he achieved what he did at Rotherham. Let's get this gig on the road.

I've not enjoyed listening to a Derby manager speaking as much as today since Jim Smith's days.

COYR

@Brailsford RamWanted to give you 5 hearts for this post. You have summed up exactly how I am feeling at the moment and phrased it so eloquently. Wasn't it good to listen to?  He came across as funny, personable, modest. He said that the coaching staff are his best friends and he listens to and values their advice. Sounds like they make a very good and effective team.

A thoroughly enjoyable and encouraging interview. Like you, I'm looking forward to the future of our club.

My only concern is that after this inspiring interview, fans will be expecting promotion this season and whilst that would be wonderful this is a club pretty much rising from the ashes and is building towards the future and some things can't always be rushed.

He said that he has already seen things at Derby that he wants to address with the support of DC, but had the grace to admit that any future manager of Rotherham might say the same.

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Can't really fault him for that imho, he was looking out for his own club at the time. 

Lets face it, MM pi$$ed a lot of people off - the players, us fans, the EFL and of course other teams such as Rotherham and Sheff Weds who were relegated that season.  If PW was sounding off against Derby players or fans, fair enough, but I think everyone knew where the blame lay and who they were talking about when they criticised Derby. 

Thankfully we've moved on and DC is repairing the damage, so much so that someone that wouldn't have given us a second glance a few months ago is now our Head Coach and excited about the challenge ahead.

COYR

Warne said it was nothing to do with Derby and it was because he was really good friends with the Wednesday manager.

30 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Warne addressed this. Says he's bezzie mates with the Sheff Wed manager at the time and was disappointed they were both going down.

Very diplomatic answer. It's clear from what he said that there was annoyance too about our FFP breaches too, but I can't really blame him for that as emotions were clearly running high.

We move on.

25 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Yes , that was interesting Roy. Sounds like everyone is going to get much fitter. I have been looking at Rotherham highlights and there are no short free kicks in the opposition half- they all go into the box. So 3 centre half’s are expected to go up for them and get back quickly.Lots of running to do.

I Agree. I got the impression that the players have to be a lot more active, not just being good in one third.

Edited by Miggins

Have to say I am warming to him as a character. He bristles with energy and I don't see him accepting less than maximum effort from the boys. I remain mildly concerned about his style of play, but that's only based on the very few Rotherham games I've seen. DC is a particularly sharp cookie though and we now also know for sure that this was 'the plan' for a while, so there are reasons to be cautiously optimistic.

In DC we trust.

COYR

PW talked about his conversations with DC. He said DC was a great bloke who had mentioned that part of the decision to appoint PW as manager was due to the fact that DC liked PW's moral compass and integrity. PW said that he feels they are very similar people, who want to build a similar culture at the club and push the club forward. He said that the relationship between owner and manager is essential to understanding each other and communicating ideas.

What a breath of fresh air.

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Have to say I am warming to him as a character. He bristles with energy and I don't see him accepting less than maximum effort from the boys. I remain mildly concerned about his style of play, but that's only based on the very few Rotherham games I've seen. DC is a particularly sharp cookie though and we now also know for sure that this was 'the plan' for a while, so there are reasons to be cautiously optimistic.

In DC we trust.

COYR

Did you listen to his press conference? He addressed style of play. 

11 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Despite my tongue in cheek suggestion to @angieram earlier to fake a docs appointment, I too ended up missing it due to a last minute work meeting, which has just finished.  Any links to the full presser? 

There's a Sportscene programme at 6pm on Radio Derby. I wouldn't be surprised if they replayed it on there. Also I expect they'll put it up as a Sportscene podcast a bit later on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_derby

He's off to a good start with this press conference, he seems genuine, down to earth and isn't particularly media prepped in his responses, so sounds a pretty relatable chap. 

I like the appreciation of LR's work, nice touch. 

I think we're in fairly safe hands here, no managerial appointment is risk free, but I'm sure he and the teams he puts out won't let us down for lack of effort.

There are obviously some concerns around tactics and style, but he will also be learning on the job and will have to evolve his style somewhat, he's only ever been at one club and in different circumstances, so needs time to develop his own style and get to grips with it. 

It'll be great if we hit the ground running, but I hope people don't suddenly expect too much, too soon!