Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Watched a great game last night between Barnsley & Sheffield Wednesday, real blood and thunder stuff, it was interesting to note that BOTH teams play in Warne's favoured shape of 3-5-2 (Plymouth also play with 3 at the back, but a different shape) and both teams looked far more athletic and physically strong than our boys. I think we'll be seeing a big turnover of players this summer as Warne shapes the squad into something that can mimic the likes of Barnsley & Sheffield Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Watched a great game last night between Barnsley & Sheffield Wednesday, real blood and thunder stuff, it was interesting to note that BOTH teams play in Warne's favoured shape of 3-5-2 (Plymouth also play with 3 at the back, but a different shape) and both teams looked far more athletic and physically strong than our boys. I think we'll be seeing a big turnover of players this summer as Warne shapes the squad into something that can mimic the likes of Barnsley & Sheffield Wednesday.

We'll see a high turnover of players regardless of formation change.

Bird, Knight and Cashin will be snapped up by higher division sides.
McGee, Roberts, White, Dobbin and Springett go back to their home clubs.
Loach, Forsyth, Davies, Chester, Stearman, Smith, Rooney, and McGoldrick are out of contract.

We'll be left with: Wildsmith, Sibley, Hourihane, Tommo, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Collins and Bielik (who will be sold).

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Loach, Forsyth, Davies, Chester, Stearman, Smith, Rooney, and McGoldrick are out of contract.

We'll be left with: Wildsmith, Sibley, Hourihane, Tommo, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Collins and Bielik (who will be sold).

McGoldrick would be a massive loss and Knight could do a Buchannon. But I can’t see a Championship team wanting to pay for Bird or Cashin , the way they are playing.

35 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

McGoldrick would be a massive loss and Knight could do a Buchannon. But I can’t see a Championship team wanting to pay for Bird or Cashin , the way they are playing.

If those 2 do move on the club whoever buys them are buying potential, We know what they can do, Clubs would have watched them a long with our other young uns, Can another manager get consistent performances from them...Buying aint so easy in our market.  

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You need to move Korey Smith to your "still under contract" list as he signed a 2 year deal

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/teams/player/korey-smith

"Midfielder Korey Smith signed a two-year contract with Derby County in July 2022 following his release from Swansea City and became another new addition to the revamped Rams’ squad."

Rooney should be retained too surely.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And in the u21s currently under contract going into next season Evans, Bardell, Robinson, Richards (I think), Oduroh and I think that’s it. None of them ready to take a first team squad place yet.. 

Going to be a huge summer….

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

You need to move Korey Smith to your "still under contract" list as he signed a 2 year deal

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/teams/player/korey-smith

"Midfielder Korey Smith signed a two-year contract with Derby County in July 2022 following his release from Swansea City and became another new addition to the revamped Rams’ squad."

Rooney should be retained too surely.

The only place I've seen any length of contract suggested for Rooney is the Sports Salary site, which has it down as 30/06/2025, at a salary of £760/week. I'd like that to be true, but I'm not sure that website is reliable.

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The only place I've seen any length of contract suggested for Rooney is the Sports Salary site, which has it down as 30/06/2025, at a salary of £760/week. I'd like that to be true, but I'm not sure that website is reliable.

The length of contracts are right but the wages are well off the mark I’m told…

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Roberts is out of contract at the end of the season, so good chance he could sign permanently- if we've been smart he'll have already signed a pre-agreement

Got a feeling that as a young player we would have to pay compensation - something that we cannot do presently

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

It’s a weird one that, just looked at the article on the club website when he signed and in the DET and there’s no mention of the length of contract. Typically that’s part of the announcement news right? Both say he signed with the academy so I guess it’s still in line with the restrictions, meaning it was either a 1 or 2 year deal? 

1 hour ago, Ramifications said:

I hope Collins and Hourihane don't stay another year

I prefer Liam Thompson in that left defensive midfield position, let Sibley take the corners and free kicks or Bird. 

Hourihane's a weird one. Really frustrating watching him and whoever is his oppo is get dominated despite their talent, but his numbers are fantastic. There's no doubt the quality is there, it's the rest of what he brings where there are question marks for me.

If he plays the remaining 9 games he'll likely be close to 10 goals and should get over 10 assists. Seen nothing from Thommo to suggest he's capable of getting anywhere close to those numbers. I'm all for blooding the youngsters but we've got to have a bit of substance as well. 

Same sort of vein to what Tom Lawrence was for us the last few years. Loads of questions around his general play at times, missing for consecutive games but he would win you a game out of nothing. As miserable as the football and goal scoring was under Wazza, if we didn't have Tom chipping in it would have been even worse. 

1 hour ago, ExiledinDerby said:

And in the u21s currently under contract going into next season Evans, Bardell, Robinson, Richards (I think), Oduroh and I think that’s it. None of them ready to take a first team squad place yet.. 

Going to be a huge summer….

Evans and Richards are both a 2nd year scholars and so far there is no public news on them being offered pro deals (although you'd expect them to). 
I believe Burton, Bates and Nunn all have another year on their deals.
Hawkins has also been a U21 regular this season, and will still be a scholar next season.

As you mention, it will be a big summer. Decisions will need to be made on others who haven't broken in to the first team. Foulkes, Solomon, Grewal-Pollard, Aghatise, Dixon and Cybulski

54 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

The length of contracts are right but the wages are well off the mark I’m told…

The length can't be right since we were limited to 2 year deals...

26 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Got a feeling that as a young player we would have to pay compensation - something that we cannot do presently

I really hope the restrictions get lifted at the end of the season. I know they're due to be reviewed, and we must be operating fairly above our means currently. Leaving them in place would feel borderline vindictive if it stops us even picking up young players on free deals, especially since they were the reason our squad was decimated to such a massive extent.

Continually stopping us properly rebuilding just doesn't seem right at all.

I can see Knight and Bird leaving along with Bielik. Think we might be able to sweet talk Cashin and Sibley in to another year so if that’s the case this will be the squad for next season;

Wildsmith, McGee (believe he’s out of contract

New RB, Rooney   
New LB,     
Cashin, Forsyth, 2 new CB

Hourihane, Smith, 2 new CM

NML, new RW   
Barkhuizen, new LW  

Sibley, new CAM

Mcgoldrick, Collins, new FW

Thats 10 signings. Will be interesting whether we recruit for 3-5-2 or 4 at the back. Although if we go for 3-5-2 that could hamper NML and Barkhuizen’s effectiveness. Big summer ahead.

47 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I really hope the restrictions get lifted at the end of the season. I know they're due to be reviewed, and we must be operating fairly above our means currently. Leaving them in place would feel borderline vindictive if it stops us even picking up young players on free deals, especially since they were the reason our squad was decimated to such a massive extent.

Continually stopping us properly rebuilding just doesn't seem right at all.

Definitely hope the restrictions are relaxed/adjusted if they’re not willing to fully remove them. I understand we have to operate sensibly post admin and the business plan is there to prevent clubs riding rough shod over their debts to then just throw money around afterwards, but I’ve said it before in other threads, agreeing a budget then having the EFL dictate how that budget can be used seems too restrictive.

Currently we can sign a player on a free for 2 years and pay them a contract rumoured to be set at the £10-12k per week, provided no agent/transfer/compensation fees are involved. So that could be a financial commitment of roughly £1.2million on the club. How is it any different if we pay a £500k fee for a player and give a contract that adds up to £700k for the duration? Same financial commitment but with the potential for younger players with resale value. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

£760 per week is the standard rate for a player U21 when offered a professional contract. Clubs can enter into no limits on the pay they offer - Raheem Sterling agreed £30k per week at Liverpool when he signed pro at 17. Rooney as yet has no elite or potential star credentials to negotiate a bigger wage. As he was released by Burnley, I expect that £760 a week for now would be right - we wouldn't be looking to pay beyond that when he joined.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Evans and Richards are both a 2nd year scholars and so far there is no public news on them being offered pro deals (although you'd expect them to). 
I believe Burton, Bates and Nunn all have another year on their deals.
Hawkins has also been a U21 regular this season, and will still be a scholar next season.

As you mention, it will be a big summer. Decisions will need to be made on others who haven't broken in to the first team. Foulkes, Solomon, Grewal-Pollard, Aghatise, Dixon and Cybulski

The length can't be right since we were limited to 2 year deals...

Evans signed a 3 year pro in September last year. He was announced under the radar a bit on the u21 news before one of the games.

Richards and Fapetu have them as part of their deals when they came as scholars the same as Nicholas- Davies  before he asked to leave. 

None of the other second year scholars have a pro offer at present.

I expect many of the existing u21s will be released this summer and there will be free signings of lads released from other clubs on lower deals.

5 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Hourihane's a weird one. Really frustrating watching him and whoever is his oppo is get dominated despite their talent, but his numbers are fantastic. There's no doubt the quality is there, it's the rest of what he brings where there are question marks for me.

If he plays the remaining 9 games he'll likely be close to 10 goals and should get over 10 assists. Seen nothing from Thommo to suggest he's capable of getting anywhere close to those numbers. I'm all for blooding the youngsters but we've got to have a bit of substance as well. 

Same sort of vein to what Tom Lawrence was for us the last few years. Loads of questions around his general play at times, missing for consecutive games but he would win you a game out of nothing. As miserable as the football and goal scoring was under Wazza, if we didn't have Tom chipping in it would have been even worse. 

Fair point, well made. I notice you didn't defend James Collins 😉