Derby County v Wycombe Wanderers H Matchday Thread

archram

7 hours ago, sage said:

Am I allowed to say Knight had a very average game today even if it does goes against this week's obsession? 

Agreed. He looks more influential playing at right back, in this team. Understand that Rosenior probably noted Mehmeti as their threat and wanted to sure up that side (although it didn’t work brilliantly in the first 20) he didn’t want Knight pinned back by the threat of him. It was a good adjustment.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

You do know they talk about players during the radio commentary? Also, at this point I'm ecstatic that Hourihane was kept on for the equalizer then winner, but in previous games I've watched he's been out on his feet for most of the second half. 

Yes but you are relying on Ed Dawes to accurately describe a game of football. 

It's like asking Liz Truss to run the country. 

Oh wait... 

1 minute ago, maydrakin said:

My main takeaway from the match was how awful Wycombe were with regards to time wasting and gamesmanship.

How do you watch that on a weekly basis?

It’s always gratifying to see a team wasting time, only for it to bite them on the bum by the end of the game…

Thing is, when it's your team you love it.

They started early, though.

1 hour ago, CBX1985 said:

Thing is, when it's your team you love it.

They started early, though.

I know it might sound a bit stuck up but I don’t like it.
I don’t like it when players dive or feign injury or a whole raft of stuff that cricket calls sledging. Of course it happens, I’m not naïve, it’s just part of the game, the heat of the kitchen but no way do I love it whether it’s them or us. 

11 hours ago, McMuffin said:

Game changed when Bird went off and Knight showed him how to play cm. Houihane looked better with Knight biting next to him aswell.

LR said we need to be more adventuress or words to that effect, The switch allowed CH to be more advanced where in games before he would play a more defensive role, NML was pivotal in getting forward, Plenty of space he "could have used", Shout out for Sibley with his week shot that bounced off their defender into the path of CH, We looked a team rather than a mix and match after the changes.

I got a little angry the last few mins as we should have used the game management ploy ie taking the ball into their corners, But no we sat back and let their keeper kick long balls.

Awful team are these fother muckers to watch, The most "beautiful manager in football...Ainsworth" had it stuck up him, They don't like it stuck up em, Couhig take that you asswipe ?

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

You do know they talk about players during the radio commentary? Also, at this point I'm ecstatic that Hourihane was kept on for the equalizer then winner, but in previous games I've watched he's been out on his feet for most of the second half. 

No Carl. In other games, Conor has been anchored deeper because as we have seen before on several occasions, a midfield 2 of him and Max tend to get overrun and out-muscled at points in the game. When we switched systems yesterday, we had more bodies in the middle sector and Conor started taking up positions from which he could do damage. The rest, as they say, is history.

In any case, I'm glad you're 'ecstatic' about the win and that the Rosey sledging is on hold, albeit briefly, I suspect.

19 minutes ago, jono said:

I know it might sound a bit stuck up but I don’t like it.
I don’t like it when players dive or feign injury or a whole raft of stuff that cricket calls sledging. Of course it happens, I’m not naïve, it’s just part of the game, the heat of the kitchen but no way do I love it whether it’s them or us. 

I prefer it not to happen, but I have to confess some hypocrisy in this regard as if it were against the likes of the Whiny Wanderers, Leeds, the t**** who play in blue or Boro, I'd probably laugh myself silly. Not Forest though, or any other team really. Then I want us to win on merit leaving no doubt who was the better team. Pretty much like we did yesterday, in other words! 

COYR

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

0-1 with Bird on, 2-1 with Bird off ?

There's no doubt that bringing on Mendez Laing and Collins gave us more firepower upfront, although neither of them had any more luck with their shooting than the others.    

Apart from the first 25 minutes we mullered Wycombe and they were lucky it was only 2-1, but overall our shooting wasn't good enough. Bird had a couple of decent shots himself, but Hourihane is obviously more accomplished in the shooting stakes.    

21 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

LR said we need to be more adventuress or words to that effect, The switch allowed CH to be more advanced where in games before he would play a more defensive role, NML was pivotal in getting forward, Plenty of space he "could have used", Shout out for Sibley with his week shot that bounced off their defender into the path of CH, We looked a team rather than a mix and match after the changes.

I got a little angry the last few mins as we should have used the game management ploy ie taking the ball into their corners, But no we sat back and let their keeper kick long balls.

Awful team are these fother muckers to watch, The most "beautiful manager in football...Ainsworth" had it stuck up him, They don't like it stuck up em, Couhig take that you asswipe ?

Was it Sibley that shot when he should have taken it into the corner? Their keeper then bangs it upfield and they nearly score which would have been a travesty.  

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A 6.6 rating in 55 minutes, despite being a goal down is pretty good. Hardly "shocking" or "a total shambles" as described by some.

A rating higher than Barkhuizen and Roberts, level with Sibley. He played at least 30 minutes less than all of them too.

Oh I agree fella. It's the system that was at fault and sadly Max will be the scapegoat, but he does look like he needs to regain confidence and whilst I understand Rosey's thinking in making him the skipper, I also think that was a mistake and came a year too early. I also think that he has yet to fill his frame and when he does, we'll start to see the player that he can be. The technical ability is there for all to see, should they care to look, but this is a more physical league than Max is used to and he's still quite willowy to my eye. 

As for my question, it wasn't in reference to Max. Not sure why you assumed it was as I like Max a lot. It was Joe Wildsmith I was curious about. For me he was MVP but I'm guessing Conor filled that slot but I'm curious as to how the statistical approach reflected Joe's second half performance, which was the best I've seen from a Derby stopper in a while.