Knight playing Right back

BatRam

Im really enjoying Jason Knight as a right back. He was wasted as a winger and our midfield is really solid.

Got the energy to run up n down the wing all day and hes been influential in attacking play.

Think id happily stick with him there as it would cost a lot of money to replace him with someone better.

The mood music from Rosenior has changed on this topic. After the first or second game, when asked about Knight as a right back, he said that we were looking at the transfer market. Game 3 or 4 there was a comment about Knight’s professionalism, and I think Justin Walker said he was every manager’s dream- works hard, gives his all, does what is asked. Today Rosenior says he is “so comfortable” with the options he’s got at RB.

Reading between the lines, we haven’t been able to bring in a RB that fits in our budget, our culture, our system, or the right age profile (or maybe a combination of all four). Still a few hours to go if Rosenior wants to settle for something less than perfect, but I expect we’ll see Knight at RB until January, with Oduroh growing into the role as support.

3 hours ago, Sussex Ram said:

The mood music from Rosenior has changed on this topic. After the first or second game, when asked about Knight as a right back, he said that we were looking at the transfer market. Game 3 or 4 there was a comment about Knight’s professionalism, and I think Justin Walker said he was every manager’s dream- works hard, gives his all, does what is asked. Today Rosenior says he is “so comfortable” with the options he’s got at RB.

Reading between the lines, we haven’t been able to bring in a RB that fits in our budget, our culture, our system, or the right age profile (or maybe a combination of all four). Still a few hours to go if Rosenior wants to settle for something less than perfect, but I expect we’ll see Knight at RB until January, with Oduroh growing into the role as support.

I think we were hoping Tommy Smith or Martin Kelly would join. Both have chosen to be backup options in the Championship instead.

Must admit I’m very disappointed that we haven’t signed a first choice right back.

A player of Knights quality really is wasted out there. He’d be unbelievable in midfield alongside Bird and Hourihane in this league. His energy and all round ability would transform our attack - it’s incredible we’ve kept hold of him really, surely the best player in the league on paper. 

Not that he’s been poor at RB of course, not by any stretch. He’s proven he can play there with his performances so far, but it’s not where he’s at his best let’s be fair. We want him in the middle of the park where he can really influence play. It’s a great shame we couldn’t find a suitable right back target. Someone with the pace that Byrne had would make a big difference offensively compared to Knight out there.

Knight isn't actually playing right back, though. It's where he lines up, but a lot of his touches seem to be in the opposition half - if anything you could argue that he's a right sided defensive midfielder in practicality. He's creating match up problems for other teams and he's having an attacking influence. 

He's growing into the role quickly and genuinely think this will do him the world of good going forward. 

He's looking great in that position and looks a threat going forward on that side. You can make an argument it threatens defensive stability with the cb's not the paciest and leaves a bit of ground to cover but we're so dominating in possession it doesn't seem to matter so much. I agree he'd be better in midfield and would add a dynamism we may need but we're blessed to have options atm. 

Been thinking a lot about Jason Knight at full back. 

Looking back to last season many didn't feel he suited playing out wide and he didn't really seem to get a run as that box to box midfielder. As a consequence he never really settled into a starting position.

Maybe this inverted full back role is made for Jason. He's already thriving there and now knows he's got a regular starting slot.

I actually think it will enhance his international prospects rather than hinder them.

He’s one of our best footballers and he has the best engine we’ve seen for a while. If Byrne was with us, Knight’s energy in midfield would have converted several of our draws into wins. But he’s not. Needs must 

is RB his best position? The answer probably depends on which division he’s in. 

Whilst knight is doing very well back at right back I am sure Odurah will get a chance in that role at some point in the league and hopefully he does well but he looks a nervous starter and with that said if Rooney isn’t playing anywhere else by then based on his football ability and defending I think he could be a very effective right back.