Knight playing Right back

BatRam

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Apparently Phil Bardsley and Danny Simpson are both free agents. Possibilities for the sort of short term deal to mentor Oduroh and allow Knight to move into midfield?

Bardsleys nearly 40 and has played 4 games in 2 and a half years.  Simpsons 35 and has played the same amount for a dog s*** Bristol City side.  Shall I get my boots.?  We're wandering back into Stephens and McDonald territory with these two. 

10 hours ago, The_Sheriff said:

Hourihane is renowned for having a wand of a left foot but on saturday it was anything but

Nothing wrong with his left foot. But Shaun Barker told us all we needed to know first game of the season. Hourihane ‘drifts in and out of games’. So we’ve got a problem if he’s not alongside a real worker in midfield. And that’s compounded if some of those around him are tiring senior players 

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Nothing wrong with his left foot. But Shaun Barker told us all we needed to know first game of the season. Hourihane ‘drifts in and out of games’. So we’ve got a problem if he’s not alongside a real worker in midfield. And that’s compounded if some of those around him are tiring senior players 

I agree which is why knight would be perfect alongside him?

I think we need to stop banging this drum. We don't have another first team right back aside from Oduroh, who has a lot to learn and I think he'll have a better second half of the season than he'll have a first

Nothing wrong with Knight there. He defends well. He's not restricted there, he is a ball carrier from full back because our full backs play so high up and bring the ball out. He's an injection of energy in wide areas which helps NML or Barkhuizen or Dobbin or whoever is on that side with him.

I think he's a more natural midfielder and that'll be where he plays most of his career, but I think we're utilising his abilities well with our system currently because he gets massive freedom to come out and support attacks

I like Oduroh going forward. He has demonstrated his passing ability and pace in the cup games. What I noticed in particular against Grimsby is his positional awareness isn't great, which will come with more games and experience. I can see the opposition in league games targeting him. I'd rather keep Knight at right back for now and see how the season progresses.

55 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Would resorting to 343 improve our situation? 

Who would play right wing back? If Knight then it doesn't really solve the issue, if not then it's Oduroh (with his inexperience/limitations) or someone like NML (but why move him when he's doing so well).

Not sure who would play left wing back either, doesn't really suit Forsyth (not sure he's got the mobility these days) or Barkhuizen (not really suited to the defensive side).

1 hour ago, CodnorRam said:

Would resorting to 343 improve our situation? 

17 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Who would play right wing back? If Knight then it doesn't really solve the issue, if not then it's Oduroh (with his inexperience/limitations) or someone like NML (but why move him when he's doing so well).

Not sure who would play left wing back either, doesn't really suit Forsyth (not sure he's got the mobility these days) or Barkhuizen (not really suited to the defensive side).

Who would play CB? Cashin, Stearman, and...?

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In back 4 - Knight, Oduroh or Chester

In a back 5 - Knight, Oduroh, Mendez-Laing or Barkhuizen 

My money is on Mendez-Laing.

It will be interesting to see how we set out that is for sure. Right back is deffinalty the area which concerns me.

32 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

It will be interesting to see how we set out that is for sure. Right back is deffinalty the area which concerns me.

I don’t think you can have a winger as part of a five.

You have to remember that this player has to be able to defend as well as attack.

Knight and to a certain extent Oduroh have those skills.

Let NML and Barkhuisen do what they do best and use their energy to terrorise the opposition.

29 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I don’t think you can have a winger as part of a five.

You have to remember that this player has to be able to defend as well as attack.

Judging by comments on this forum over the last few years, very few of our fullbacks haven't been able to defend as well as attack.

2 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

We’ve barely played with a right back this season to be fair, Knight has played the role very well. Rotherham, under Warne, didn’t play a right wing back either. The player who played that position was often the outlet on the wing and played as high as the strikers. I’d imagine Mendez-Laing will get that role. Knight back in midfield.