Underrated places

TuffLuff

Much inspired by the Liverpool chat going on in the cup thread, where do you think just isn’t that bad? 

Quiet beauty spot (we won’t tell anyone), venues, out of the way pubs, areas of countryside, town and cities. Anything applies!

Ill start with Stoke, not all of it of it obviously and it’s a bugger to drive through, but my other half did some work connected to one of the pottery factories and we found a couple of decent pubs nearby away from the centre. Also coming in from Leek there’s some nice scenic areas with impressive Victorian housing. I fully get Stoke’s reputation and that there is another side to the city, but it’s always my example where I think there’s a bit more to it than to how it’s perceived 

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If you want posters to take this thread seriously you've not made a good start.

Stoke??? Really???

I mean I did say underrated and backed up as to why, and made some pretty big caveats into saying that I fully get why it has that reputation…just that it’s got some nice parts too.

Wakefield has quite a few lovely little bars if you know where to go. Hull was delightful, two roads were absolutely stacked with great drinking joints, good places to eat and was friendly. Lancaster ditto to Hull but also more pleasant in general too. 

me and some friends have a weekend playing golf in Wales every year, and a few years ago, stumbled across a golf course in the Vale of Llangollen. Now, it's just a golf course to be honest, but it's in a beautiful green valley, with an amazingly peaceful and lush backdrop whichever way you're facing. We ensure we play there at least every other year. We were there last Friday, and although some of the course had dried out or been burned, just spending 4-5 hours there is like a reset for me. I don't quite understand why I feel so at peace there. But one of my favourite places ever.

32 minutes ago, David said:

Liverpool obviously.

Bars, music, shopping all within close proximity with super friendly people.

What more do you want?

Most that knock the place haven't been recently, or even at all and just jump on the stereotype bandwagon.

Would love to live there. 

You love everywhere you go. 
The benchmark is Grimsby mind.

Belper’s too posh for you before you start.

The state of Washington, USA. It's widely mocked in movies and Americans in general as grey and rainy. But the thing is , they aren't comparing it to our standards of grey and rainy!

In actual fact it is stunning. Vast white sandy beaches without a sole to be seen. Unspoilt temperate rainforest. And a couple of hours inland and you're in Alpine style mountains with stunning views and great hikes. Breathtaking and so unexpected.

Paris and LA.

Nowhere near as bad as people make out and actually quite good in places. Both dirty and unsafe in parts and the people are very much of their city and have little time for tourists. I think both just require a fair bit of scratching below the surface that doesn't really lend itself to the average holiday/city break timeframe.

Stoke is horribly scruffy and run down but most of the people are salt of the earth, traditional working class. Unfortunately I do often find such people quite unappealing so it's rated appropriately for me.

Edited by JoetheRam

32 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The state of Washington, USA. It's widely mocked in movies and Americans in general as grey and rainy. But the thing is , they aren't comparing it to our standards of grey and rainy!

In actual fact it is stunning. Vast white sandy beaches without a sole to be seen. Unspoilt temperate rainforest. And a couple of hours inland and you're in Alpine style mountains with stunning views and great hikes. Breathtaking and so unexpected.

Hang on a Mo, Your last 2 lines sound as tho you like the place, But your 1st 4 words are "The state of Washington" ?‍♀️

40 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I thought England was grey and rainy, then I spent a year in Vancouver and it was somehow worse.

Vancouver and Washington state are similar. Beautiful landscapes and on a nice sunny day there are few better places on earth. Amazing summers.

People are really friendly there too.

1 hour ago, David said:

Liverpool obviously.

What more do you want?

Most that knock the place haven't been recently, or even at all and just jump on the stereotype bandwagon.

I’m only writing this here to not clog up the cup draw thread but everything you’ve said about Liverpool I would say about Glasgow (aside the close proximity bit, but the tramline is pretty decent). Not sure id put it in a underrated category but still. 

Maybe takes a day to really settle into it, but it’s my favourite city for a long weekend. Also as a stopping off point before trips out west

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I thought England was grey and rainy, then I spent a year in Vancouver and it was somehow worse.

Vancouver and Washington state are similar. Beautiful landscapes and on a nice sunny day there are few better places on earth. Amazing summers.

People are really friendly there too.

Vancouver is a fantastic city - lots to see, wonderful places to dine at and within 15 minutes of a great coastal drive towards Whistler. My favourite city to visit.

6 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Much inspired by the Liverpool chat going on in the cup thread, where do you think just isn’t that bad? 

Quiet beauty spot (we won’t tell anyone), venues, out of the way pubs, areas of countryside, town and cities. Anything applies!

Ill start with Stoke, not all of it of it obviously and it’s a bugger to drive through, but my other half did some work connected to one of the pottery factories and we found a couple of decent pubs nearby away from the centre. Also coming in from Leek there’s some nice scenic areas with impressive Victorian housing. I fully get Stoke’s reputation and that there is another side to the city, but it’s always my example where I think there’s a bit more to it than to how it’s perceived 

All I've ever done with Stoke is drive through it. So easy is it that I barely notice it.

3 hours ago, David said:

Liverpool obviously.

What more do you want?

Lived there for a couple of years. Wouldn't say it was overated. 

However, on holiday this year. Everyone sat waiting on the coach for the transfer. 50mins later....family of about 8 Scousers get on, loudly proclaiming it wasn't their fault they were waiting for the promised (100 yard) assistance to the coach.

Proceeded to ask people to move so they could sit together.  All but the 2 teenage kids were hugely overweight, most were using crutches and carrying duty free booze. Spent the 30min journey (where they thankfully got off at a hotel that wasn't mine- and everyone else was clearly thinking the same) calling each other Queenie/pet and talking about how they have been shafted out of benefits. 

Was comical how 'stereotypical' they were...but depressing as hell that it was an image of the UK that we were exporting.

3 hours ago, David said:

Liverpool obviously.

What more do you want?

Having lived in Liverpool previously I can honestly say it's an amazing place to live. Loved it. 

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

It sounds nice.  It is also the serial killer capital of the world mind.  Might be worth it for nice beaches though, I like a good beach.