Underrated places

TuffLuff

I'll go for Coventry. Mate moved in with his gf there a few years ago and visited him early in year. Loads of great old pubs, new/old cathedral is amazing and unique, food choices pretty cosmopolitian. Quite an individual place. It's not really West Mids, but it's a pretty big city in it's own right.

I expected it to be rubbish and it's actually pretty good. 

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

The state of Washington, USA. It's widely mocked in movies and Americans in general

14 years living in America and I honestly can never remember hearing Washington State being mocked for anything other than its rainfall. Even then, mocking is not really the word I'd use.

Florida on the other hand....

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

14 years living in America and I honestly can never remember hearing Washington State being mocked for anything other than its rainfall. Even then, mocking is not really the word I'd use.

Florida on the other hand....

Maybe my writing was poor. I agree with you entirely.

7 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Bognor. 

Oh sorry, it really is a dump.

I meant Littlehampton. You northern types might not know but it has a reputation for being a bit sh!t but is actually pretty decent  these days. Or it was 3 years ago.

There should be a reverse thread to this, places people reckon are great but are really a bit poo.

It’s got a Wetherspoons and a lovely harbour area.

The pumping of raw sewage out to sea marks it down a little bit though. 

The plus side is that if you do swim in the sea you come out with a nice fake tan.

Hull - I agree. Some great pubs, quite a lively music and arts scene and loads of maritime history. Its reputation for late-night mayhem isn't a myth however. Get out before nightfall. 

Stoke - Stokies are sound people away from matchdays. As a city, it's a mess, but there's some great industrial history trails. There's a Titanic bar on the station now, so if you don't fancy exploring the pubs, it's a good place to enjoy a Plum Porter while waiting for your train back to Derbados. 

16 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Bognor. 

Oh sorry, it really is a dump.

I meant Littlehampton. You northern types might not know but it has a reputation for being a bit sh!t but is actually pretty decent these days. Or it was 3 years ago.

There should be a reverse thread to this, places people reckon are great but are really a bit poo.

Littlehampton is sh!t!  It is the epitome of the old phrase,  you can't polish a turd!!!  All the work done by the river and it's still awful!  ?

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Hull - I agree. Some great pubs, quite a lively music and arts scene and loads of maritime history. Its reputation for late-night mayhem isn't a myth however. Get out before nightfall. 

Stoke - Stokies are sound people away from matchdays. As a city, it's a mess, but there's some great industrial history trails. There's a Titanic bar on the station now, so if you don't fancy exploring the pubs, it's a good place to enjoy a Plum Porter while waiting for your train back to Derbados. 

I was due a date from a Stoke(Eturia)female a couple of years back from a dating site, She asked about my parents, Dad passed some 25 years ago and Mum through Covid...well that started the end of date ? she's a conspiracy theorist and covid was/is caused by 5G telephone masts, I should contact my Solicitor and file a complaint of some kind to the relevant authorities.

I asked where she lives and does she live on her own, No lives with her chain smoking 35 year old idle son who refuses to work, The next day while I'm online she accuses me of talking to other Women, I told her WTF has it to do with you, We've not even met yet(date was in a couple of days time)she cancelled the date as I'm untrustworthy and then blocks me...charming ?  

5 hours ago, Eric the half a ram said:

Littlehampton is sh!t!  It is the epitome of the old phrase,  you can't polish a turd!!!  All the work done by the river and it's still awful!  ?

Seafront is nice, is what I meant.  

Town centre will always be a bit grim, these seaside places usually are.

Disclaimer here Eric :- I lived in Middleton on Sea for 4 years and Goring by Sea for 25 so I'm familiar with the area.

As such, don't go to Worthing, it's like Ravenholm. 

Worthing is my pick for Overrated place, unless you are 80.

Edited by ColonelBlimp
Added a bit

2 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Seafront is nice, is what I meant.  

Town centre will always be a bit grim, these seaside places usually are.

Disclaimer here Eric :- I lived in Middleton on Sea for 4 years and Goring by Sea for 25 so I'm familiar with the area.

As such, don't go to Worthing, it's like Ravenholm. 

Worthing is my pick for Overrated place, unless you are 80.

Lol,  I lived in Yapton til I was 19, then lived in both Littlehampton and Bognor over the years!  Yes,  Worthing is highly overrated!  Whereabouts in Middleton were you?  

12 minutes ago, Eric the half a ram said:

Lol,  I lived in Yapton til I was 19, then lived in both Littlehampton and Bognor over the years!  Yes,  Worthing is highly overrated!  Whereabouts in Middleton were you?  

Not sure of your age but I lived in Middleton from 85 to 89/90.  We lived down near the Elmer Pub so Elmer Beach really.

My Dad is buried in  Middleton Church, died too young. 

If I recall, there was a bit of a Sunday Football League rivalry between Elmer and Yapton for some reason.

2 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Not sure of your age but I lived in Middleton from 85 to 89/90.  We lived down near the Elmer Pub so Elmer Beach really.

My Dad is buried in  Middleton Church, died too young. 

If I recall, there was a bit of a Sunday Football League rivalry between Elmer and Yapton for some reason.

I used to love visiting the Witterings when I lived in East Hants, but I had ambitions to live in places like Midhurst, Chichester and Arundel until work took me elsewhere. The South Downs are glorious.