Underrated places

TuffLuff

12 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Not sure of your age but I lived in Middleton from 85 to 89/90.  We lived down near the Elmer Pub so Elmer Beach really.

My Dad is buried in  Middleton Church, died too young. 

If I recall, there was a bit of a Sunday Football League rivalry between Elmer and Yapton for some reason.

I moved out of Yapton in 85. Don't remember a rivalry but didn't spend much time watching the local football. 

I spent a couple of years drinking in the Cabin, but that was before you moved in, don't think I ever set foot in the Elmer, just never a pub we looked at, strange the choices we make!! 

Sorry to hear about your dad,so sad when people leave too soon!

One of my brothers got married in Middleton Church, but he is divorced now! 

For anyone thinking of moving to Falmouth, don't do as my son did, and misread "Maritime Museum" for "Marmite Museum", when doing your research. 
His excitement for the latter was soon scuppered when I donned my specs and glanced over his shoulder at the Google Maps page he was scrutinising.  

19 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Belper

That town is backwards! They still have dial up internet, use coat hangers as TV aerials and walk round listening to their cassette players.

The shopping is terrible, pubs smell of old people, football team play in yellow in front of a handful of fans and you get stuck behind tractors on the road.

Wouldn’t live there if you paid me to.

58 minutes ago, David said:

That town is backwards! They still have dial up internet, use coat hangers as TV aerials and walk round listening to their cassette players.

The shopping is terrible, pubs smell of old people, football team play in yellow in front of a handful of fans and you get stuck behind tractors on the road.

No smell of fish though, that’s a bonus.

1 hour ago, David said:

I'm guessing that's a pop at the locals...I'm not a local ? but I am Old...ish ?

As a non Belperite(is that right)I go and watch Belper Town when Derby are away, It's a great day out for me, A session in the Rifleman, A game of football where drinking is the law, A few beers after the game in the clubhouse...then stagger to the bus station to Derby and another bus to Stenson, Still don't know how I got home last Saturday...must have been the bus?‍♀️ 

15 hours ago, Crewton said:

I used to love visiting the Witterings when I lived in East Hants, but I had ambitions to live in places like Midhurst, Chichester and Arundel until work took me elsewhere. The South Downs are glorious. 

This is where my mum and her 2nd husband lived.

https://henryadamsholidaycottages.co.uk/property/st-faith-s-chichester-cathedral-chichester/559407

She died 2016, he in 2017. Looks like it was turned into holiday lets.

50 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

This is where my mum and her 2nd husband lived.

https://henryadamsholidaycottages.co.uk/property/st-faith-s-chichester-cathedral-chichester/559407

She died 2016, he in 2017. Looks like it was turned into holiday lets.

Nice looking place. House prices there must be hideous now though. It was expensive, even when I was visiting 30 years or so ago. Meon Valley was another favourite - some lovely villages along there. 

Going to a Northumberland next week, which has reminded me how nice the beach at Alnmouth is. It’s what Northumberland is known for, but Alnmouth is that but more quieter I think. I can’t claim the actual place is anything amazing aside couple of decent pubs and a nice cafe in an old school, also it’s a bit like two golf clubs have kinda over taken the whole area which ruins its aesthetic a little bit.

Go to Alnmouth and enjoy the beach, possibly walk up the coast to Boulmer to The Fishing Boat Inn if you want to spend the day there!

4 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Going to a Northumberland next week, which has reminded me how nice the beach at Alnmouth is. It’s what Northumberland is known for, but Alnmouth is that but more quieter I think. I can’t claim the actual place is anything amazing aside couple of decent pubs and a nice cafe in an old school, also it’s a bit like two golf clubs have kinda over taken the whole area which ruins its aesthetic a little bit.

Go to Alnmouth and enjoy the beach, possibly walk up the coast to Boulmer to The Fishing Boat Inn if you want to spend the day there!

I love the walk from Craster to Bamburgh along the coast. Amazing beaches. 

7 hours ago, sage said:

Potted Lobster in Bamburgh is worth overtaking a few Hairy Bikers for. And the dog loves those beaches. And the kippers in Craster don’t smell like erm, a fishing port further down the east coast.

19 minutes ago, 2tups said:

Potted Lobster in Bamburgh is worth overtaking a few Hairy Bikers for. And the dog loves those beaches. And the kippers in Craster don’t smell like erm, a fishing port further down the east coast.

I think I made our booking for The Potted Lobster before I’d even confirmed our accomodation back in June!

Very much influenced from watching the Hairy Bikers series round that time as well! That Quayside Cafe at Amble is another on the list. To be fair from going to Amble briefly last year I’d put it down as under rated place but I think it’d be a bit marmite. 

7 hours ago, sage said:

I only went for the first time last year and stayed in some beachside huts at Alnmouth. We were only there a couple of days and didn’t venture very far as my little one was very little at the time, so did short circulars around where we stayed. Therefore we only really saw Alnwick, Alnmouth, Amble and Boulmer. Did learn that we would have to move around and see a bit more to see things, but we really enjoyed what bit of it we saw.

We want to do some of the coastal path but will likely end up doing it in parts for a couple of hours on most days. We’ve got a day booked in at Bamburgh so will probably walk to Seahouses bit then, then do around Craster the day after!

19 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I only went for the first time last year and stayed in some beachside huts at Alnmouth. We were only there a couple of days and didn’t venture very far as my little one was very little at the time, so did short circulars around where we stayed. Therefore we only really saw Alnwick, Alnmouth, Amble and Boulmer. Did learn that we would have to move around and see a bit more to see things, but we really enjoyed what bit of it we saw.

We want to do some of the coastal path but will likely end up doing it in parts for a couple of hours on most days. We’ve got a day booked in at Bamburgh so will probably walk to Seahouses bit then, then do around Craster the day after!

Bamburgh Beach is a big enough walk for a little one. Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle is a mile each way and stunning.