52 Years ago today, Watney Cup

Shipley Ram

25 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

Anyone go to this?

8 Year old me yes. i can remember it being a really hot day, in fact my old man took me to all three games including the one at Fulham the Saturday before.

The United game was special with us pulverising the side that two years earlier had romped away with the European Cup.

On the pitch for United was the holy trinity of Best, Charlton and Law., we made them look like selling platers that day.

A day i will cherish forever, the competition didn't mean much but the performance and the symbolism of the victory meant everything.

I remember my uncle giving me the money to get 2 tickets because he was at work and I was off school with the summer holidays. I got up at 4a.m. to walk from Chaddesden to the Baseball ground to purchase the tickets. Got stopped on Nottingham Road by a passing police car, the officer asking what I was doing all alone so early in the morning. After explaining, he said jump in the car and gave me a lift to the ground. Got there to find some fans had camped out at the ground waiting for the ticket office to open.

38 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

We even had the 4 pint "barrel" (really just a big tin) at Chrimbo. You pierced it with a tap from which you could pour a pint of fizzy, frothy, dreadful (even for a 10 year old) beer.

Watney's Red Barrel. Is it still available? A craft beer ?

Watneys Party 7 was the perfect way to destroy an Artexed ceiling in the 1970's. If anyone could open one without sandblasting the ceiling they were classed as a genius back then.

6 hours ago, IslandExile said:

We even had the 4 pint "barrel" (really just a big tin) at Chrimbo. You pierced it with a tap from which you could pour a pint of fizzy, frothy, dreadful (even for a 10 year old) beer.

There's posh!
I don't recall dad using anything but a hammer and 6" nail, but then he was a carpenter by trade, so always had them to hand.

Two holes at opposite sides.  #airflow!  ?

I took my younger brother to one of the few matches he has been to and got to the ground just as the Manure team coach arrived. We took great delight running up and down the length of the coach waving our black and white scarves at them. But on the way to the bots corner we ended up being bundled into the Pop Side by the stewards and police, only to find we were right in the middle of the United fans! They were a fearsome mob in those days so we stuffed our scarves up our shirts and kept shtumm for the whole match. Not easy with a performance like that!

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Watney's Red Barrel 10 year old - you make it sound like a malt whisky

Edited by BaaLocks