52 Years ago today, Watney Cup

Shipley Ram

56 minutes ago, Geriatram said:

Drink Red Barrel near or far, in any pub or any bar, its always good wherever you are, drink Watneys draught Red Barrel. Cant get that tune out of my head now. But it really was a dreadful drink. 

"Red Barrel men say 'the same again!'" Er, no thanks.

Their Brown Ale and Cream Label Stout weren't bad though.

Yep I was there...we made Man Utd look like mugs..Best Charlton and Law included.And went the week before v Fulham.I remember the hired coach driving up and down the King's Rd...It was sweltering hot and as a 16 year old my eyes were poping out of my head at all the Chelsea model type girls in there mini skirts.(Swinging London).Fantastic day out I've never forgotten.

58 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Blimey we have some old members on this forum. Looks like a lot of them attended that match

It’s only when us Olduns look back do we realise what a golden era of football we had the privilege to have experienced. Having watched the Rams in the late 50s and 60s I couldn’t believe that we, Derby County, were beating the big clubs, let’s hope those times return soon.

On my bucket list is to go to an FA cup final where Derby win before I get the ticket for the big stadium in the sky ??????

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

13 hours ago, mozza said:

52 years ago today, at 7:30am,i started my career as an apprentice joiner at Thomas Lowe Builders in Burton. Two days before i was at the BBG watching Derby County take apart Manchester United. Tempus Fugit. 

I was with him and our Dad anorl.

Brilliant game!

Tempers you git! I was 20 three days later!

23 hours ago, C-stand said:

I was only a few months old, but I have managed to add John McGovern's tankard to the collection, after he put a few items to auction.

20200414_140037.jpg

I'm surprised they let you bid.  Don't you have to be 18 to go to an auction?  ?

A group of us from Allestree F.C. was coming to the end of a fortnight's holiday in Newquay, when instead of coming back on the Saturday, we took the overnight train on the Friday so we could attend the Watney Cup Final.

Here's a little quirk of that holiday, we wore our Allestree F.C. football tops on that holiday. Although they weren't Derby County shirts, I think we were the first group to wear football shirts outside of our home town

I was 18 years old, an apprentice at RR, with a bit of money in my pocket, and absolutely enjoying life - 1970, where have the years gone? The song which I remember was "In the Summertime when the weather is high", by Mungo Jerry.

5 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

A group of us from Allestree F.C. was coming to the end of a fortnight's holiday in Newquay, when instead of coming back on the Saturday, we took the overnight train on the Friday so we could attend the Watney Cup Final.

Here's a little quirk of that holiday, we wore our Allestree F.C. football tops on that holiday. Although they weren't Derby County shirts, I think we were the first group to wear football shirts outside of our home town

I was 18 years old, an apprentice at RR, with a bit of money in my pocket, and absolutely enjoying life - 1970, where have the years gone? The song which I remember was "In the Summertime when the weather is high", by Mungo Jerry.

First record I ever bought as a 16 year old.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

First record I ever bought as a 16 year old.

I was at a rock festival when Mungo Jerry, then unknown, did a gig and stole the show on 23rd May 1970.

l asked Burton Boots for the record.

"Never heard of 'em!"

Me... "Well they'll soon be number one!"

Got that one right!