Lewis Dobbin

Heisenberg

50 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Is it just me that thinks the short period of time he came on against Shrewsbury he looks like a seriously good player?!

At times he was walking round their players and had a few neat turns/touches.

I think he will probably go on to be one of our best players this season. 

No, a mate who was there said similar. 

Just now, dajstrawb said:

It’s his first taste of proper blokes first team football. Seem to recall it taking Malcolm Ebiowei a couple of games to feel himself round. You’ll just get glimpses. And aslong as we keep getting a few of those in the next few games, he’ll be sound.  Patience

This 

2 hours ago, Mckram said:

Is it just me that thinks the short period of time he came on against Shrewsbury he looks like a seriously good player?!

I thought he made some great runs off the ball too.

Unfortunately for him, rather than play a ball over the top, or a ball through, Knight checked back and passed to Stearman.

4 hours ago, Magicman said:

NML has,  so has Barkhuzien .... just not seen anything in his outings to suggest otherwise ok.

Both players you mention are experienced players in the championship Dobbin is a kid who's here to get experience and hopefully learn something....he's not at a prem league club because he's crap so give the young kid a chance.to settle and get some decent game time ..wow! some people are unreal !!

4 hours ago, Mckram said:

agreed....i thought he looked very good. 

7 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Think it's fair to say he's probably not going to be the sort of loan signing where you sub on him on and he's a game-changer, scoring spectacular goals out of nothing to win you tight games. (Ibe/Bamford/Wilson/Ince style)

More of a steady contribution across the season style of loan, with a few 'flatters to deceive' appearances along the way but improving as he goes.

Think maybe some are expecting the former rather than the latter but perhaps that's the difference between League One loans and Championship loans.

Bit like Ibe, bamford,wilson and Ince then?

Maybe not Ince, as he was here on loan and did quite good from the get go.

30 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Bit like Ibe, bamford,wilson and Ince then?

Maybe not Ince, as he was here on loan and did quite good from the get go.

No.

They all had that extra something in their locker whereby even if an overall performance wasn't great, they'd do one brilliant thing out of the blue to impact the game. I'm not sure Dobbin has that based on what we've seen so far and his youth highlights, but he may well become a more rounded player in time, it's hard to judge that though.

Ince was a more experienced player than any of the others tbf, didn't so much flatter to deceive as successfully deceive people into thinking he was a more rounded player than he was. 

Bamford & Wilson have proven themselves a better long term bet with potential for Premier League careers. Ibe but for his mental health issues would probably have done the same. Outside of doing a Lawrence by moving to Scotland Ince was always destined to knock around multiple Championship clubs, if we're being honest.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

4 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

No.

They all had that extra something in their locker whereby even if an overall performance wasn't great, they'd do one brilliant thing out of the blue to impact the game. I'm not sure Dobbin has that based on what we've seen so far and his youth highlights, but he may well become a more rounded player in time, it's hard to judge that though.

Ince was a more experienced player than any of the others tbf, didn't so much flatter to deceive as successfully deceive people into thinking he was a more rounded player than he is.

No

Its late, but just accept that I would have had a bloody decent responce to your post if I’d had the time and inclination.

You never like Ince.  He was the boss mate.

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

No

Its late, but just accept that I would have had a bloody decent responce to your post if I’d had the time and inclination.

You never like Ince.  He was the boss mate.

I liked Ince in his loan spell. It should have ended there though, same with Bent. Both excellent stopgaps which we needed at the time but didn't fit into what McClaren had been building.

I didn't like Ince when everyone else had to play second fiddle to him and got slagged off for their lack of productivity as a result.

There's a reason he's never flourished anywhere else since leaving Derby and the fans of most clubs he's played for are nonplussed when he leaves. Think on. 

Edited by Coconut's Beard

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

Both players you mention are experienced players in the championship Dobbin is a kid who's here to get experience and hopefully learn something....he's not at a prem league club because he's crap so give the young kid a chance.to settle and get some decent game time ..wow! some people are unreal !!

Dobbin is an U21 level lad who has a lot to learn & prove . Reminds me of the time we took Lingard on loan and he never impressed me. 

10 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Dobbin is an U21 level lad who has a lot to learn & prove . Reminds me of the time we took Lingard on loan and he never impressed me. 

Lingard learnt plenty here.  Specifically, how to remove splinters from your arse cheeks from warming the bench week after week and that dancing in the winter whilst on the touchline, rather than sitting on the bench, can both keep you warm and prevent those painful splinters.  He's used the moves he learnt here to make some really appalling s*** on Tik Tok.   

24 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

I liked Ince in his loan spell. It should have ended there though, same with Bent. Both excellent stopgaps which we needed at the time but didn't fit into what McClaren had been building.

I didn't like Ince when everyone else had to play second fiddle to him and got slagged off for their lack of productivity as a result.

There's a reason he's never flourished anywhere else since leaving Derby and the fans of most clubs he's played for are nonplussed when he leaves. Think on. 

Never the hardest grafter but that never bothered me too much.  As a player he was a different level to say someone like Russell.  He was there to score goals and given chances he did.  Van Nistlerooy basically did nothing at Man Utd but stand 8 yards from goal and finish chances.  Dirk Kuyt worked his arse off every game at Liverpool around that period.  Both Dutch internationals.  Given the choice of forward I'd take the goals of Van Nistlerooy over the work rate of Kuyt.  

I agree on Bent though.  He looked overweight from the get go and never looked in any shape to get the contract he did. Plus the extra year every one forgot about.  He didn't mind signing his extension. 

2 hours ago, Magicman said:

Fair enough thats your opinion but Lingaard had already been out on  loan at a couple of clubs i believe Brighton and was it Birmingham before he came to us  ?  where he had a good spell... i agree he was dissapointing for us though

no comparison really Lingaard was much more experienced 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Van Nistlerooy basically did nothing at Man Utd but stand 8 yards from goal and finish chances.  Dirk Kuyt worked his arse off every game at Liverpool around that period.  Both Dutch internationals.  Given the choice of forward I'd take the goals of Van Nistlerooy over the work rate of Kuyt. 

That's the sort of logic that Man Utd used when bringing back Ronaldo, it's not always the wisest decision.

Sometimes you've got to think of...

hot-fuzz.gif

On 18/08/2022 at 23:30, Magicman said:

Just to confirm you're talking about England international Jesse Lingard here?

With such excellent judge of ability it's shocking to me that DCFC haven't yet drafted you into their youth scouting set up...

And before anyone leaps in I'm aware Lingard is a douche and has not had the career he ought but if Dobbin has anything like the ability of Lingard, then he should be a good acquisition for L1...

On 20/08/2022 at 10:52, RodleyRam said:

Just to confirm you're talking about England international Jesse Lingard here?

With such excellent judge of ability it's shocking to me that DCFC haven't yet drafted you into their youth scouting set up...

And before anyone leaps in I'm aware Lingard is a douche and has not had the career he ought but if Dobbin has anything like the ability of Lingard, then he should be a good acquisition for L1...

Lingard was poo when he was at Derby. He was already 22 and gave no real clue that he would play for England. Unlike Mount who was younger than Lingard but clearly already more talented. 

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Lingard was poo when he was at Derby. He was already 22 and gave no real clue that he would play for England. Unlike Mount who was younger than Lingard but clearly already more talented. 

Absolutely. When Lingard was on the pitch it was like playing with 10 men. He was almost always the worst player in our team, but presumably we had an agreement with Man Yoo where we had to play him.

Just now, PistoldPete said:

Lingard was pretty poo even when he was regularly playing for England. It's not in and of itself a reliable barometer of quality.

He's just another in a long line of players with little to speak for in terms of his overall play, but he can shoot well and will score a decent amount goals if given the opportunity.

Nobody complains when they're scoring, and nothing clouds people's judgement on how good a player actually is more than a good goal return, but a barren spell in front of goal and what else are they offering?