Match Thread: Rams vs Leicester (Pride Park, today 1pm)

Carl Sagan

15 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Just like Johnny Russell then ? 

Yes, him, but faster and also less ball control. He's like the next level of Russell

Hey, I'm not arguing, Russell was a good player here, I'd take that all day long.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m guessing it’s another belter of a game given the lack of comments 

No need to guess, you can watch it on Youtube for free.

Edited by ram59
rewording

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It's not been bad, both teams have had a fairly slow build up to chances and its poor at the final bit for both teams, but the game has moved forward and chances have been created.

I think our wide players are mucking into midfield a lot and then not getting themselves past the defensive line as a result

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

It’s actually quite entertaining (and that’s just the auto text on YouTube ?) and we don’t have any players to complain about so far.

me and you are watching different YouTube channels. I’ll double check I’ve got the derby game on as it’s a typical boring pre season games of cancelling each other out 

17 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We’ve played quite well imo. More like last Saturday than midweek. I think this season we may see much better performances at home then away with the size and state of our pitch compared to some of the smaller grounds. Smith looks very neat and composed on the ball - doesn’t look like a league one player. Colin’s starting to show some good hold up and touches too. Overall bar a couple of times Leicester got in and arguably should of scored once it’s been a decent game and we have held our own. 

I don't like Knight at RB because he never has the beating of his man, so he always turns around and passes back, normally to Wildsmith. It's not his fault - he's a solid box-to-box midfielder.

We've played perfectly OK and mainly contained them but we have never looked like scoring. I don't think we've created a chance except one deflected shot on the edge of the area from Barkhuizen. It's worryingly the same style as last season.

Our defense and midfield don't seem to understand the point of "risk/reward" football in that we are always taking risks but we never take the opportunity for the reward. The intention should be to draw opponents on, beat them either taking the ball round them or passing through them, and then you have more players than them upfield and lots of space to be able to charge forward at breakneck speed and create an opportunity before the rest of the opposition can get back into position to defend. Once you break the line you should never stop going forward.

Sadly we take all these risks to break the line, but once we've done it our players stop, turn around and pass backwards where there's more space because the opponents are desperately charging back, meaning the opposition can then press us again and we can take more crazy risks.

This is why we never create chances. This is why to have any hope of getting promotion we have to change the way we play.

Smith showing some nice touches, Roberts looking decent at LB. NmL & Barkhuizen being direct, running at fullbacks although Barkhuizen the brighter of the 2. Hourihane picking up some nice positions & Collins showing he can hold the ball up eell too.

Negatives would be the high line, not something we can play with our CBs, even more so when our fullbacks are advanced as we dont have their pace back there as cover.

At least no team we will face in League 1 will have a player with the passing ability of Tielemans, its his passing that is causing us most problems.

2 minutes ago, Ramos said:

We’ve played quite well imo. More like last Saturday than midweek. I think this season we may see much better performances at home then away with the size and state of our pitch compared to some of the smaller grounds. Smith looks very neat and composed on the ball - doesn’t look like a league one player. Colin’s starting to show some good hold up and touches too. Overall bar a couple of times Leicester got in and arguably should of scored once it’s been a decent game and we have held our own. 

Overall if Leicester could shoot we'd be 3 or 4 down, not really holding our own. We still look a bit toothless up front.

What's up with McGoldrick?

2 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

me and you are watching different YouTube channels. I’ll double check I’ve got the derby game on as it’s a typical boring pre season games of cancelling each other out 

Well I’ve seen some good chances for Leicester (as you’d expect) from which they could easily have scored and some nice touches and inter play going forward (but no real clear cut chances) for Derby. A bit worried by the continued obsession with playing it out from the back even when it’s risky but perhaps they’ve told to try it all the time as there’s nothing at stake in a friendly.