Amadou Diallo

nogbad van 50

37 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Problem is we need all of our players to be pretty robust this coming season, even the wingers.

There's no point signing anyone for immediate use in the first team who'll get blown over by a gentle breeze, be bullied by League One defenders.

Heard the same words about a certain Gary Micklewhite when he joined... Gary had the physique of a school boy wimp but my what a player he was in what is now called league one. 

16 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Heard the same words about a certain Gary Micklewhite when he joined... Gary had the physique of a school boy wimp but my what a player he was in what is now called league one. 

Not just the third tier:

01:00 in, makes a mug of Viv Anderson…

Loved watching that team - who knows where we could have got to if Maxwell hadn't been such a crook....

I was in the away end for that game - a great result, but completely overshadowed by what had happened at Hillsborough

20 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

That whole team is my favourite ever Derby side that I’ve seen, but Saunders and Goddard was the stuff of legend. Such a shame that we flipped Goddard to Millwall of all places.

This…..Saunders and Goddard best pairing I’ve had the pleasure of seeing, lasted all too briefly sadly with Goddard wanting to move back to London. I remember Saunders debut from the top tier of the Ozzie end ?what a way to announce yourself how we could do with that pairing now!

8 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

This…..Saunders and Goddard best pairing I’ve had the pleasure of seeing, lasted all too briefly sadly with Goddard wanting to move back to London. I remember Saunders debut from the top tier of the Ozzie end ?what a way to announce yourself how we could do with that pairing now!

Oh go on then:

Always annoyed me that they missed Mel’s goal.

3 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Just watched the clip. Never mind Gary Mickleover, what a player Deano was. 

That turn by Deano and chipped cross was fantastic.  Bettered only by Goddard’s chip over Neville Southall by Goddard.  That was a really good team, best finish since ‘76 and remains so.  Shame Maxwell got bored and we didn’t invest that summer or, as scary as it might seem, we could have challenging for the title.  I had that season on VHS and watched it time and time again.  Oh, and blue shorts ?.

55 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

That turn by Deano and chipped cross was fantastic.  Bettered only by Goddard’s chip over Neville Southall by Goddard.  That was a really good team, best finish since ‘76 and remains so.  Shame Maxwell got bored and we didn’t invest that summer or, as scary as it might seem, we could have challenging for the title.  I had that season on VHS and watched it time and time again.  Oh, and blue shorts ?.

I only have four VHS tapes left. One is our wedding video, the other three are the season reviews from 88-89 to 90-91….?

6 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Ebosele lacked end product, Ebiowei didn't... 

1 goal and 2 assists in 954 minutes of playing time (all but one of those contributions coming in his 2nd last game at Blackpool), compared to Fozzy's 3 goals and 1 assist in 1941 minutes from LB/LWB or Jack Stretton's 1 goal in 291 minutes.....entertainment galore, masses of promise, but little end product - which many people noted at the time whilst also praising his performances.

9 hours ago, Crewton said:

1 goal and 2 assists in 954 minutes of playing time (all but one of those contributions coming in his 2nd last game at Blackpool), compared to Fozzy's 3 goals and 1 assist in 1941 minutes from LB/LWB or Jack Stretton's 1 goal in 291 minutes.....entertainment galore, masses of promise, but little end product - which many people noted at the time whilst also praising his performances.

Using G/A as a comprehensive statistical measure is pretty flawed since it relies on a winger functioning as an inside forward to score goals, or for the strikers to convert the chances they create, which isn't a guarantee- both of which are variables potentially outside the player's control, especially if he's instructed to hug the byline. 

For a player in his position, chance creation metrics are the ones you want to be looking at. 4.88 progressive runs with 4.69 successful dribbles a match show he's excellent progressive dribbler. In specific regards to end product, he averaged 1 chance created every 50 minutes which for a debut season shows he regularly created chances- which requires end product. Obviously wide players are expected to contribute defensively now also, and Malcolm did well in this regard, winning 54.3% of his defensive duels and averaging 2.44 interceptions per 90.

Even then, stats aren't everything and for a young lad thrust into a turbulent team in a weird season, I thought his end product was surprisingly impressive, even if that first goal took a while to come.