Korey Smith - Signed 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Then he needs to massively up his level in terms of goals scored and chances he creates. You have to affect the game higher up the pitch. The only goal I remember is that deflected long-range effort against Stoke.

Scored the volley vs Boro away too

Interesting on the club site they specifically mentioned his versatility and the fact he can play full back too. I suspect in pre season until the squad is fully formed he'll get minutes there at very least

Versatility key at this level with a smaller bench, I'm coming around to this signing tbf

Apropos of nothing, but does anybody think the (over) analysis of football and footballers is taking a lot of joy out of the game? In particular, when a new signing comes in and armchair experts and statisticians  have already decided how good he is, where he will play, how many goals he’ll score, how many ‘key passes’ he’ll make, where on the pitch he will spend most of his time and his overall value to the team. I find it really tiresome. Am I alone in that?

I welcome any signing. Can’t wait to see them play and then I’ll judge them after that (not using stats or heat maps, but using my eyes and nearly 50 years of watching football).  

13 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Apropos of nothing, but does anybody think the (over) analysis of football and footballers is taking a lot of joy out of the game? In particular, when a new signing comes in and armchair experts and statisticians  have already decided how good he is, where he will play, how many goals he’ll score, how many ‘key passes’ he’ll make, where on the pitch he will spend most of his time and his overall value to the team. I find it really tiresome. Am I alone in that?

I welcome any signing. Can’t wait to see them play and then I’ll judge them after that (not using stats or heat maps, but using my eyes and nearly 50 years of watching football).  

1st part is how Managers decide who will fit his plan, How good he is, Can we afford him ect ect, Fans love to analyse, They like to showboat their football knowledge. 

As for for your 2nd paragraph I'm with you on that, 2 weeks and all will start...bring it on ? 

12 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Nah. It creates the opportunity to boo and dismiss all of them useless players before seeing them. Saves a lot of energy IMO. ?

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Then he needs to massively up his level in terms of goals scored and chances he creates. You have to affect the game higher up the pitch. The only goal I remember is that deflected long-range effort against Stoke.

I mean the thing is Bird for most of last season was the deepest midfielder, responsible for sitting in, recycling possession and getting attacks started with passes. You just wouldn't expect him to be racking up assists or goals. That would likely change played higher up. By how much? You won't know unless you tried it for a sustained period of time. 

Saying he doesn't create chances though isn't really correct. More often than not he'd make the pass that would make the chance possible and tbh a lot of the times his passing was wasted by a blunt forward line and lack of movement.

19 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I mean admittedly I actually really enjoy that side of things. I enjoy getting in the weeds with stats and trying to analyse exactly what a player is doing and why. And I enjoying coming on here and really discussing it with people. But I'm an analytical person and football is far from the only thing I'm like this with. 

If you don't enjoy and it sucks the fun out of it for you, I'm sorry to hear that and I can definitely see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't want us playing with two holding midfielders this season. We did that last season and hardly created any chances at all. We need to be more forward thinking and lose one of the defensive players in the setup. So I'm not especially thrilled to see this, even though he sounds like a decent player. We have Bielik, Bird, Thompson and now Smith for what I am hoping is one position. Even if one of them goes, that's still a lot of defensive midfielders.

Personally wouldn't want us playing 2 either but we are firmly building on last season and building around playing a 4231. So the depth does make sense, especially as Bielik is likely to leave.

Pleased with this and an old adage springs to mind…

If you keep signing players from the division below, that’s where you’ll end up.  However we are predominantly signing players who can still do a job at the division above. So…

It may be rocky while they gel but once they do we could be in for a fun season ?

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't want us playing with two holding midfielders this season. We did that last season and hardly created any chances at all. We need to be more forward thinking and lose one of the defensive players in the setup. So I'm not especially thrilled to see this, even though he sounds like a decent player. We have Bielik, Bird, Thompson and now Smith for what I am hoping is one position. Even if one of them goes, that's still a lot of defensive midfielders.

Me neither in fact I wouldn’t want us playing one defensive midfielder but we now have so many it’s inevitable that we will be unless they end up filling in elsewhere .     

Another one who has played league one football- there really are no excuses for our players this season apart from our own youngsters coming through who won’t have experienced it. We really are going for automatics so how we balance out remains to be seen but most of these have experienced promotion from this league

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

How many did Hughes score and assisted when played further upfield?

I'm fairly certain Bird's goal wasn't deflected either. He completely wrong footed the keeper who wasn't expecting Max to shoot with his right foot

3 hours ago, LazloW said:

I'm never buying into people's opinion of a player based on their history again since bucko.

Good signing this. 

Gives us cover in a couple of positions and is a very competitive and experienced player. 

It definitely looks like one or two of Beilik, Bird and Knight will be on the move, which would be a shame, but probably needs to happen for both parties.

On 16/07/2022 at 17:51, Ramarena said:

Good signing this. 

Gives us cover in a couple of positions and is a very competitive and experienced player. 

It definitely looks like one or two of Beilik, Bird and Knight will be on the move, which would be a shame, but probably needs to happen for both parties.

I agree it is a good signing. At 31 he still has plenty of life left and has played in some good teams.. and Bristol City ?

just hope Bird Stays, he looked ‘different’ against HB (I know it was a friendly but it was a friendly for everyone) would love JK to stay too