Matchday Thread friendly V Bradford (A) 9th July 15:00

11 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

That was pretty all right. For saying quite a few of the players have hardly had time to say hello to each other, they did all right, especially the first half eleven. They looked very promising, and showed a desire to get the thig forwards and have a go, despite the obvious penchant to play it out from the back. There may be an element with some of them of having to learn how to do it, and at times it seemed they wanted to keep on doing it all afternoon, but overall the team were quite positive. Sibley did well, especially as he was yet again played out of position, and would have laid the first goal on for Barkhousen if it hadn't been deflected. And we got a bit of luck with the ball falling to the lethal Fozzy!!!

YEs we struggled in the second half, as it was more a case of boys against men. the second half team had obviously had even less time to say hello, probably only getting as far as the first "l", and most of the Bradford team were unchanged at the start of the second half. In addition, they were much more aggressive in the second half, and truly looked like a Mark Hughes team. And the ref was Mr Madley, which explains the Derby booking for virtually no contact, and nothing for a torrent of heavy challenges towards the end from Bradford. So the match officials are going to show consistency, are they? Oh well . With that in mind, for the second set of players to keep the score at 2 - 0 was good work, I think.

I have no criticisms of the players - mistakes and sloppy passes are because this was the first match of pre-season. And I will stand up for Jack Stretton. He hardly got a sniff because we struggled to get out of our half. I am just as frustrated with Jack as many on here, but for different reasons. When he got his first matches he looked sharp, and knew where to be as a striker, which is where his first goal came from. Then, without a drop in form, he was gone, disappeared from sight, and fed only a few scraps of cameos and subs appearances on rare occasions, and had clearly contracted Sibleyitis. He suffered rom Derby County referees disease several times, with clear WWF tactics used on him, which are apparently allowed with the regulations, according to our Bobby. So no surprise he didn't end the match with 27 goals.

I am really hoping that both Sibley and Stretton get a fair chance in their best positions before the jury retire to consider their verdict. And although today was only really about match fitness, there was plenty out on the pitch to be encouraged about.

Whilst I agree with you about the refereeing decisions yesterday, I do feel that our skill players are going to get even less protection this season than last.

So yesterday was an opportunity to learn how to deal with it.

Cybulski in particular is much less of a pushover than he was just a few months ago. He's not going to be bullied in division one. 

And I noticed young Oduroh got easily robbed of possession after just a few minutes. He looked most offended and it didn't happen again! 

I do think Sibley, and to a lesser extent Stretton, still have to improve that side of their game if they want to be successful. 

11 hours ago, jono said:

Honestly Mr Magic you really are perverse. I guess you think it’s feisty or clever. ? Edicts and snap judgements followed by combative playground ripostes to considered arguments. Hey have your opinion, like all of us you’re entitled to it; but the way you argue and discuss, seems to me; despite your 50 years watching football, pretty juvenile. The replies you get reflect that. 

I don't want to get into the spat involving others and 1 poster, But this is what football massage boards are about...OPINION...whether agreeing or not differing opinions are good for debate, It doesn't matter if the debate falls short for posters in the "eloquent" bracket, 50 years or 50 minutes of watching football doesn't make a person more "clued" up about the game.

There's a poster on here who lives in the potato growing world of Lincoln and I've narrowed him down to 2 people pretty sure I know who he is(CR)a few years older than myself, Played for some top armature teams here in Derby, Maybe could have turned Pro, When he talks football I take note, Was better than me back in the day and played for better teams, There's posters on here who I'll disagree with, Juvenile or not put your case forward as some have and move on ?  

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I don't want to get into the spat involving others and 1 poster, But this is what football massage boards are about...OPINION...whether agreeing or not differing opinions are good for debate, It doesn't matter if the debate falls short for posters in the "eloquent" bracket, 50 years or 50 minutes of watching football doesn't make a person more "clued" up about the game.

There's a poster on here who lives in the potato growing world of Lincoln and I've narrowed him down to 2 people pretty sure I know who he is(CR)a few years older than myself, Played for some top armature teams here in Derby, Maybe could have turned Pro, When he talks football I take note, Was better than me back in the day and played for better teams, There's posters on here who I'll disagree with, Juvenile or not put your case forward as some have and move on ?  

It's the ones who don't do the last bit I have trouble with! ?

But you're right, Alf. We are all entitled to our opinions. 

12 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

That was pretty all right. For saying quite a few of the players have hardly had time to say hello to each other, they did all right, especially the first half eleven. They looked very promising, and showed a desire to get the thig forwards and have a go, despite the obvious penchant to play it out from the back. There may be an element with some of them of having to learn how to do it, and at times it seemed they wanted to keep on doing it all afternoon, but overall the team were quite positive. Sibley did well, especially as he was yet again played out of position, and would have laid the first goal on for Barkhousen if it hadn't been deflected. And we got a bit of luck with the ball falling to the lethal Fozzy!!!

YEs we struggled in the second half, as it was more a case of boys against men. the second half team had obviously had even less time to say hello, probably only getting as far as the first "l", and most of the Bradford team were unchanged at the start of the second half. In addition, they were much more aggressive in the second half, and truly looked like a Mark Hughes team. And the ref was Mr Madley, which explains the Derby booking for virtually no contact, and nothing for a torrent of heavy challenges towards the end from Bradford. So the match officials are going to show consistency, are they? Oh well . With that in mind, for the second set of players to keep the score at 2 - 0 was good work, I think.

I have no criticisms of the players - mistakes and sloppy passes are because this was the first match of pre-season. And I will stand up for Jack Stretton. He hardly got a sniff because we struggled to get out of our half. I am just as frustrated with Jack as many on here, but for different reasons. When he got his first matches he looked sharp, and knew where to be as a striker, which is where his first goal came from. Then, without a drop in form, he was gone, disappeared from sight, and fed only a few scraps of cameos and subs appearances on rare occasions, and had clearly contracted Sibleyitis. He suffered rom Derby County referees disease several times, with clear WWF tactics used on him, which are apparently allowed with the regulations, according to our Bobby. So no surprise he didn't end the match with 27 goals.

I am really hoping that both Sibley and Stretton get a fair chance in their best positions before the jury retire to consider their verdict. And although today was only really about match fitness, there was plenty out on the pitch to be encouraged about.

That’s a lot of words for the first pre-season friendly ?

Edited by LazloW

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Whilst I agree with you about the refereeing decisions yesterday, I do feel that our skill players are going to get even less protection this season than last.

So yesterday was an opportunity to learn how to deal with it.

Cybulski in particular is much less of a pushover than he was just a few months ago. He's not going to be bullied in division one. 

And I noticed young Oduroh got easily robbed of possession after just a few minutes. He looked most offended and it didn't happen again! 

I do think Sibley, and to a lesser extent Stretton, still have to improve that side of their game if they want to be successful. 

Agreed. I thought Jason Knight was a lot more “substantial” yesterday. And some of his through balls were excellent.

Aghatise put in a few crunching tackles, fair ones too. Looked impressive. 

A few players had their pockets picked but not many let it happen more than once. L1 will obviously be a learning curve, and we need to improve our strength in depth and not let many (if any) of our better players leave. Other than that the bulk of our first team are easily Championship-level players. There’s nothing to be scared of in L1. There are comparable sides like Sheff Wed and Ipswich, and there are teams who know how to game L1 (Peterboro, Barnsley), but we’ll be capable of giving any of them a game I think.

I'm interested to know who kept Mendez-Laing out of Weds' side last season.  He looks like he's gonna be a proper handful if he stays fit.  After 10 minutes you could tell he'll give us an actual cutting edge to attacks.  So refreshing to see a winger have a proper go at their marker instead of checking back and waiting for an overlap from the right back.  Also nice to see our midfielders putting balls in behind fullbacks instead of into feet, so the wingers have to go from a standing start.

Only got to see the first half but bar the odd sloppy pass we looking pretty sharp.

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Also nice to see our midfielders putting balls in behind fullbacks instead of into feet, so the wingers have to go from a standing start.

... Seem to remember Cloughie Snr saying something very similar

Having been hauled up in the bum-hole of nowhere (Devon) with no reception all weekend probably got a couple of daft questions 

Was Curtis captain yesterday? 

How'd we look in the 2nd half? Sounds very positive in the first half and quiet with our reserves 8n the 2nd 

Was interested to see 4 at the back not 3, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us try that at some point 

Just now, whiteroseram said:

Having been hauled up in the bum-hole of nowhere (Devon) with no reception all weekend probably got a couple of daft questions 

Was Curtis captain yesterday? 

How'd we look in the 2nd half? Sounds very positive in the first half and quiet with our reserves 8n the 2nd 

Was interested to see 4 at the back not 3, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us try that at some point 

Yes, first half, Stearman second half.

Looked like the academy - fair contest could have gone either way.

i am starting to think we will prove a lot of people wrong this season

we just need to add some more depth and hopefully with younger legs around the old players brought in.

now is where recruitment gets difficult because all the free players have been hoovered up.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Yes, first half, Stearman second half.

Looked like the academy - fair contest could have gone either way.

Thanks AR ?

Glad re. Both captains, falling a bit in love with Stearman. Now you mention it, could do worse than have him playing in and mentoring the U21/23s when he's not needed by the 1st team 

15 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm interested to know who kept Mendez-Laing out of Weds' side last season.  He looks like he's gonna be a proper handful if he stays fit.  After 10 minutes you could tell he'll give us an actual cutting edge to attacks.  So refreshing to see a winger have a proper go at their marker instead of checking back and waiting for an overlap from the right back.  Also nice to see our midfielders putting balls in behind fullbacks instead of into feet, so the wingers have to go from a standing start.

Only got to see the first half but bar the odd sloppy pass we looking pretty sharp.

i agree completely but lets not get carried away. There would have been a reason he was left out, but clean slate for the guy but will have a lot more to prove than just a friendly match against bradford to know he will be a consistent threat in this league.

1 minute ago, whiteroseram said:

Thanks AR ?

Glad re. Both captains, falling a bit in love with Stearman. Now you mention it, could do worse than have him playing in and mentoring the U21/23s when he's not needed by the 1st team 

I'd agree with that except that he is such a cheerleader from the touchline. I love watching him at Pride Park as he's usually just below where we sit second half. Sure he's worth an extra point each game!