Matchday Thread friendly V Bradford (A) 9th July 15:00

was at the game yesterday , , first thing i would like to say is get Fozzy signed up asap , good work out for the lads , tremendous backing from the fans , impressed with NML, Oduroh and Barkhuizen first half , thought the 2nd half team found it tougher but  did enough to see it through , must have been watching a different game to others as i thought Mcdonal showed some nice touches and with some more game time could prove to be a shrewd signing

All in all a decent start , lets get behind Liam and the lads in the hope for a successful season

31 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

was at the game yesterday , , first thing i would like to say is get Fozzy signed up asap , good work out for the lads , tremendous backing from the fans , impressed with NML, Oduroh and Barkhuizen first half , thought the 2nd half team found it tougher but  did enough to see it through , must have been watching a different game to others as i thought Mcdonal showed some nice touches and with some more game time could prove to be a shrewd signing

All in all a decent start , lets get behind Liam and the lads in the hope for a successful season

I personal would not offer McDonald another stay at the club gives the ball away away to easy.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

I personal would not offer McDonald another stay at the club gives the ball away away to easy.

Another stay? Think you gave a different player he ex wolves never been at derby. 

I would have another look but if dale Stevens has any truth in it would rather have him myself 

16 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Out of interest Roy...you obviously are able to access twitter. Do you ever reply to the twitter messages? 

I know it's generally a cesspit of unspeakably awful people, but the odd one seems to deserve acknowledgement. 

Cheers, VdM 

Yeah sometimes reply, although mostly follow for info (football and other). Although I do try and refrain from calling Nixon Al! ? ?

Belated match thoughts - overall a good outing & obviously good to secure a win.

First half, looked really sharp from the off & thoroughly deserved the 0-2 margin at half time. Cut through them with ease particularly as there was a lot of space in midfield. Barkhuizen & particularly Mendez Laing looked direct and dangerous & I suspect they will grab plenty of goals & assists this term. Thought Knight played well - he fired through some excellent passes to initiate attacks right side & didn't play like a man who might be leaving soon. Bird also played well - couple of excellent defensive stops & his usual class in midfield, looked a cut above. Oh & please sign Forsyth up asap ?

Of the other first XI new boys, Wildsmith looked a bit jittery - bit of hesitancy on the ball & missed a cross early in second half from which Stearman had to clear off the line. One very good block though (again second half) & looks happy to pass from the back. I'm sure he'll grow into the role. The trialist RB Odoruh also had a nervy start but improved as the game went on. Clearly quick & technically adept (control & range of passing) - positionally he was bit awry but understandable given he's new. Would like to see him again v Hertha.

Second half, the momentum was with Bradford after a half time chat & our second string out. Did really well to keep a clean sheet given the pressure of the first 15 mins of second half (lot of aerial stuff) but was impressed by how well we settled down in the last 25 mins - really should have scored a couple with Cybulski mainly involved. Was really impressed with Ryan Glover down the left wing - looks a prospect & like Odoruh, would like to see him again against sterner opposition. Also thought Jake Rooney & Haydon Roberts looked composed at the back. Was looking forward to seeing Kevin McDonald once I realised who he was - I think his physical condition is still an issue as he didn't seem very mobile at all. Hopefully a couple more weeks training & we can then see his quality - thought he was a very good player at Fulham & Wolves.

Good effort from travelling support, noisy & good number of us. Bradford fans seem a nice bunch - lot of compliments & good wishes from them for season ahead. They're far too big for League Two so hopefully they have a good campaign also

10 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I don't want to get into the spat involving others and 1 poster, But this is what football massage boards are about...OPINION...whether agreeing or not differing opinions are good for debate, It doesn't matter if the debate falls short for posters in the "eloquent" bracket, 50 years or 50 minutes of watching football doesn't make a person more "clued" up about the game.

There's a poster on here who lives in the potato growing world of Lincoln and I've narrowed him down to 2 people pretty sure I know who he is(CR)a few years older than myself, Played for some top armature teams here in Derby, Maybe could have turned Pro, When he talks football I take note, Was better than me back in the day and played for better teams, There's posters on here who I'll disagree with, Juvenile or not put your case forward as some have and move on ?  

Hey, I like it when people have opinions that don’t match mine. As you say, it’s what makes the board interesting and fun. I am looking forward with relish to crossing swords with Magicman. … Equally I absolutely reserve the right to have my opinion, and my opinion of others opinions. .. it’s an old cliché but it holds water. I do not believe what you say but I defend your right to say it. …. (I’d add .. if you are very out of kilter then be brave enough to receive the incoming brickbats and defend your corner - if you can’t then you’re missing the point. Remember these are words .. they aren’t threats or bullying, they are passionate opinions expressed with passion. I don’t want to live in an echo chamber.

On 09/07/2022 at 18:42, Magicman said:

So being 'unlucky &  injury prone '  is the next excuse to cover his failings ? 

The point is, you may have a point. He hasn’t come on and lit up the pitch as Festy and Malcom did. But … lead striker is vastly different from being a winger or a CB. The opportunites to impress are so different. OK, He isn’t a new Michael Owen but it is so wrong to talk about failure with so little evidence. It just isn’t that simple. Steve Howard was a supposed failure as a youngster at Newcastle (or was it Sunderland) and bobbled around the lower leagues until his late 20’s 

Funny though .. He got 20 goals in a season for us and scored at Old Trafford at the end of his career .. Failure ? 

The truth will out. He needs a season as a squad regular and a run of games. With our midfield if he isn’t slotting them in by Easter time having had sufficient chances then by all means vote again. I will because I don’t know, and I don’t know because I haven’t seen enough. 

12 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Second half, the momentum was with Bradford after a half time chat & our second string out. Did really well to keep a clean sheet given the pressure of the first 15 mins of second half (lot of aerial stuff) but was impressed by how well we settled down in the last 25 mins - really should have scored a couple with Cybulski mainly involved. Was really impressed with Ryan Glover down the left wing - looks a prospect & like Odoruh, would like to see him again against sterner opposition. Also thought Jake Rooney & Haydon Roberts looked composed at the back. Was looking forward to seeing Kevin McDonald once I realised who he was - I think his physical condition is still an issue as he didn't seem very mobile at all. Hopefully a couple more weeks training & we can then see his quality - thought he was a very good player at Fulham & Wolves.

Must admit, after the first few mins of the second half I couldn’t really see how we were going to keep a clean sheet, it really looked like men vs boys. Settled down after that though and I think we were unlucky not to add to the score, we certainly had the better chances.

I thought Glover was the pick of the second half. I thought him and Aghatise looked really useful. Rooney looked a decent option too. Can’t say as I really noticed McDonald one way or the other, which is possibly telling in itself. I thought all the Academy lads looked ok, certainly looks like we might be able to dip into their ranks again during the season if we need to.