Player Registration Embargo Continues

Carl Sagan

Our friends at the EFL didn't take long to point out we remain under embargo.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/july/efl-statement-derby-county-exit-administration/

The relevant extract reads:

"As part of the conditions of continuing membership in the EFL, the Club, whilst remaining under a registration embargo, will be permitted to sign new players in accordance with the terms of a business plan. The plan, which has been jointly agreed by the new ownership and the EFL, includes restrictions in respect of transfers fees, player wages and agents’ fees. Any application to register players must comply with the terms of those agreed plans."

I guess we all knew this was coming. What the statement does not say, is how long this will remain for. Is it the whole season? Is it the following season as well? 

And what the terms are will dictate how competitive we can be. As before, we cannot even extend registrations for existing players without meeting the EFL's demands. While I'm grateful we still have a club, I will never forgive the EFL for what they did to us. 

Reading are still showing as being under a similar embargo on the EFL website, this was issued at the end of June last year.

I’ve never seen them give any date on when these expire, knowing the EFL it will be for however long they see fit.

With the players that have been linked already, it doesn’t appear to be that restrictive if true, possibly as we’re under new ownership 

I'm hoping they remain consistent and we're treated exactly like Wigan were when they exited administration. They were able to make good signings for this level on frees and were even able to spend somewhere 1-2 million quid on transfer fees despite only bringing in around 500k from player sales. 

You’re spot on. The EFL can’t be forgiven for their role in this. I agree with other posters, without the pressure from our fans on local MPs and the government the EFL could’ve created another bury. It’s not the EFL hierarchy per se, it’s the fact it’s the clubs regulating themselves. Descends into mob rule protecting self interest so it becomes about making sure a club stepping out of line doesn’t get an advantage and ensuring it’s penalised and not about helping a club in difficulty survive. We have been more than punished and the EFL business plan will continue that punishment.

That being said, I think the business plan would hurt us more in the Championship. I think in league one we will have enough headroom to build a competitive side.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Reading are still showing as being under a similar embargo on the EFL website, this was issued at the end of June last year.

I’ve never seen them give any date on when these expire, knowing the EFL it will be for however long they see fit.

With the players that have been linked already, it doesn’t appear to be that restrictive if true, possibly as we’re under new ownership 

I don't remember them announcing anything regarding Wigan...

10 minutes ago, David said:

Well I think should be only on it if owe money according radio derby we are now debt free.

Just now, B4ev6is said:

Well I think should be only on it if owe money according radio derby we are now debt free.

The EFL have confirmed we are still under embargo B4, whilst we can sign players, there are restrictions and all transfers/contract renewals must be approved by them first.

Yep and the outfit that dictates our fate has Peter Ridsdale on their board. Nobody needs to say anything more, just google and think on. EFL criteria for a fit and proper test for any new owners, yeah right!  Joke organisation, so obviously riddled with leaks to the press and let’s not go there with how long they have had it in for us as a club, because our past chairman tried to take them on.

They’ve still not finished in my mind @Carl Sagan but tonight I just wish some karma back at them, so hope the Crouch led review has teeth and puts a few of them out of work, like we have lost good people (Shane Nicholson for one); hopefully the EFL at least lose a lot of their power to influence situations like ours in future.

Never has there been such an inept handling as our plight by a governing body in my mind. Other than that, they’ve done a great job helping us survive ?

1 minute ago, David said:

The EFL have confirmed we are still under embargo B4, whilst we can sign players, there are restrictions and all transfers/contract renewals must be approved by them first.

Well even remember Q saying once the take over was done all the risrections would be lifted so would the transfear embargo. 

I could under stand if club was still in debt but we are debt free.

12 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well even remember Q saying once the take over was done all the risrections would be lifted so would the transfear embargo. 

I could under stand if club was still in debt but we are debt free.

You have a better memory than me, it’s been a long 9 months!

Wouldn’t worry too much, we was always going to be under new financial restrictions that all clubs face in League 1 anyway, so there was never going to be any £20m spending like you wanted.

This EFL embargo just means they will be watching closely what we’re up to that’s all. 

11 minutes ago, David said:

You have a better memory than me, it’s been a long 9 months!

Wouldn’t worry too much, we was always going to be under new financial restrictions that all clubs face in League 1 anyway, so there was never going to be any £20m spending like you wanted.

This EFL embargo just means they will be watching closely what we’re up to that’s all. 

Well I thought if was still in charge like he wanted 40 players in but it seems laim just to rebuild first team down to under 23s over period of time but still needs a few m spending on it.

10 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I thought if was still in charge like he wanted 40 players in but it seems laim just to rebuild first team down to under 23s over period of time but still needs a few m spending on it.

Most of our signings will be free transfers and loan players this summer, wouldn’t think we will see much more than 10 either.

I think the 40 signing remark was with renewing contracts including contracts from the youth academy. Obviously they can't be all for the first team.

I think our sqaud next season will compose of existing players we have on our books, players who will renew contracts with, maybe 7/8 free agents and then later on in the transfer window a odd loan signing.

Just now, B4ev6is said:

There might low fees added to it but I would try get shinnie back at derby.

We might able bring 15 players in total just five more than 10 been said already. Plus players still want to be here.

We operate under a business plan, as agreed with the EFL - isn't this the case for all clubs after administration or FFP sanctions (and qualify twice). They're just being nobbers about how they state what is the situation and was always going to be the situation after administration.

EFL cnuts being cnutish about it, but basically nothing new.

We can sign players and we pay fees (just not big ones)

2 hours ago, Yani P said:

We were always going to be under embargo as that was a condition of life after Admin with the business plan. Thought it was for 2 years but it was such a long time ago I can't remember. As long as they are agreed and within the restrictions it will still feel like the shackles are off.

I also thought it was part of the 2 year business plan.

And totally agree, we shouldn't be allowed to spend anything on transfers tbh, we may be "debt free" but there are loads of local businesses that have taken the hit and lost tens of thousands of pounds..... it's obscene to then spend anything significant on transfers whilst they have lost out.

Trawl the freebies, maybe the odd loan, try not to pay agents fees and keep wages to a minimum, it's the moral thing to do at the very least.

We proved last year we don't need to spend on transfer fees or big wages.

Edited by Rich84
Typo

The restrictions will be good for us, we can't overpay, clubs know we can't overpay. We have start actually scouting players and not bang in silly bids for players who have had half a decent season. 

I'd be happy with a couple of seasons of just building a team from scratch, sensible buys, making a profit year on year.