Player Registration Embargo Continues

Carl Sagan

6 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You’re spot on. The EFL can’t be forgiven for their role in this. I agree with other posters, without the pressure from our fans on local MPs and the government the EFL could’ve created another bury. It’s not the EFL hierarchy per se, it’s the fact it’s the clubs regulating themselves. Descends into mob rule protecting self interest so it becomes about making sure a club stepping out of line doesn’t get an advantage and ensuring it’s penalised and not about helping a club in difficulty survive. We have been more than punished and the EFL business plan will continue that punishment.

That being said, I think the business plan would hurt us more in the Championship. I think in league one we will have enough headroom to build a competitive side.

Great post .. agree totally ??

6 hours ago, David said:

You have a better memory than me, it’s been a long 9 months!

Wouldn’t worry too much, we was always going to be under new financial restrictions that all clubs face in League 1 anyway, so there was never going to be any £20m spending like you wanted.

This EFL embargo just means they will be watching closely what we’re up to that’s all. 

Yes, that’s my impression too. For the first time I am not particularly worried about an EFL pompous edict. DC will want responsible stewardship. We’re going to see frees, loans and renewals of existing players at common sense wages. I just hope to heaven that is enough to keep a few of last years home grown youngsters who can be the heart and spine of our rebirth. Anything that gives Liam a foundation is going to be helpful. 

we will need to be smart with our recruitment, we can’t afford wastage because of the business plan (embargo) so if we go out and waste money in the first year we could spend the next few just trying to correct mistakes and end up stuck in this league like lots of teams.

YOUNG profile players between 21-27 with at least 100+ games under their belts. invest in the future, that’s the only way we will bounce back sustainably. not by signing hourihane.

we need to take this as an opportunity to build from scratch

Edited by alram

5 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

There might low fees added to it but I would try get shinnie back at derby.

If Thompson can stay (unless he's gone and i missed this) no need for Shinnie, little Liam is a much better player. Keep the money and spend it elsewhere, keepers to start with.

7 hours ago, David said:

Reading are still showing as being under a similar embargo on the EFL website, this was issued at the end of June last year.

I’ve never seen them give any date on when these expire, knowing the EFL it will be for however long they see fit.

With the players that have been linked already, it doesn’t appear to be that restrictive if true, possibly as we’re under new ownership 

I really think with the size of the support and with the general vibe of 'just be grateful we are alive' our players whoever they are, will do well. 

It ain't a great league, clubs like Rotherham and Wigan have come down in a bit of a mess after a struggle to stay up... and competed at the the top end. 

Keep the core of what we have left and a few experienced professionals backed by a joyous crowd, I can't see us not being top half and people enjoying us win more games than we lose.

Edited by Chester40

2 hours ago, alram said:

we will need to be smart with our recruitment, we can’t afford wastage because of the business plan (embargo) so if we go out and waste money in the first year we could spend the next few just trying to correct mistakes and end up stuck in this league like lots of teams.

YOUNG profile players between 21-27 with at least 100+ games under their belts. invest in the future, that’s the only way we will bounce back sustainably. not by signing hourihane.

we need to take this as an opportunity to build from scratch

@alram, you’ve made it clear that you want us to sign young players, can’t you just let us have the likes of  Hourihane and a couple of others to complement these youths you’re proposing. He’s not past it at 31, has good pedigree, a good injury record, WON’T be on massive wages as this discussion is about the restrictions we will face and could be a key part of the jigsaw.
Dave Mackay, Paul McGrath, John Eustace, Matt Oakley, Eranio, Baiano are a handful of Derby based examples I can think of who were more “experienced” in their careers and contributed massively to the club. There are countless examples at other sides around the world, age doesn’t instantly equal a bad move for the club. Morris paid over the odds for the wrong players at the wrong time, signing a couple of experienced pros on affordable terms who can contribute to what the manager needs and wants is exactly what I want to see.

50 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

@alram, you’ve made it clear that you want us to sign young players, can’t you just let us have the likes of  Hourihane and a couple of others to complement these youths you’re proposing. He’s not past it at 31, has good pedigree, a good injury record, WON’T be on massive wages as this discussion is about the restrictions we will face and could be a key part of the jigsaw.
Dave Mackay, Paul McGrath, John Eustace, Matt Oakley, Eranio, Baiano are a handful of Derby based examples I can think of who were more “experienced” in their careers and contributed massively to the club. There are countless examples at other sides around the world, age doesn’t instantly equal a bad move for the club. Morris paid over the odds for the wrong players at the wrong time, signing a couple of experienced pros on affordable terms who can contribute to what the manager needs and wants is exactly what I want to see.

Exactly. We saw even last season what having Curtis, Fozzy, Stearman and CKR about the place. It gives the younger undeveloped players a framework to grow and provide the energy. 

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Our friends at the EFL didn't take long to point out we remain under embargo.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/july/efl-statement-derby-county-exit-administration/

The relevant extract reads:

"As part of the conditions of continuing membership in the EFL, the Club, whilst remaining under a registration embargo, will be permitted to sign new players in accordance with the terms of a business plan. The plan, which has been jointly agreed by the new ownership and the EFL, includes restrictions in respect of transfers fees, player wages and agents’ fees. Any application to register players must comply with the terms of those agreed plans."

I guess we all knew this was coming. What the statement does not say, is how long this will remain for. Is it the whole season? Is it the following season as well? 

And what the terms are will dictate how competitive we can be. As before, we cannot even extend registrations for existing players without meeting the EFL's demands. While I'm grateful we still have a club, I will never forgive the EFL for what they did to us. 

3 years I believe. Because that's when the 35pc to creditors is due to be paid.

Are the terms of the business plan made public? I am almost certain I read a previous version of a business plan which laid out restrictions on total wage bill etc; but I can’t find it now. That would have been long before relegation, so I assume terms have changed. I’d be fascinated to know what we’re working within in League 1- and (as everyone else has asked) how long for.

3 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

If Thompson can stay (unless he's gone and i missed this) no need for Shinnie, little Liam is a much better player. Keep the money and spend it elsewhere, keepers to start with.

I still get shinnie back will add that steel in midfield.

12 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Wigan could only make free transfers and loan signings with no loan fee for their first season out of Admin

Exited administration 30 Mar 2021

Signed Jason Kerr for £600k 31 Aug 2021

James McClean (undisclosed) 17 Aug 2021

Jordan Jones (undisclosed) 17 May 2021

About £350k to agents in 21/22 too.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

15 minutes ago, David said:

Not being paid over 3 years, it’s 25p up front as far as I’m aware.

That's much better hopefully means we can get out of the embargo quicker, and gives Clowes 10% extra to spend on the squad.

Fleetwood, Gillingham, Hull, Oldham, Reading, Scunthorpe, Swindon as well as Derby had to operate various forms of embargo for different periods last season.

As for the coming season, a squad cap of 22 outfield players (over 21) applies in League One.
U21s and goalkeepers do not count.
A minimum of 8 have to be "home-grown" i.e. been registered with any club affiliated to The FA or the FAW for a period, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

The classification for Under 21 players is born on or after 1 January 2001.