Player Registration Embargo Continues

Carl Sagan

51 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

Fleetwood, Gillingham, Hull, Oldham, Reading, Scunthorpe, Swindon as well as Derby had to operate various forms of embargo for different periods last season.

As for the coming season, a squad cap of 22 outfield players (over 21) applies in League One.
U21s and goalkeepers do not count.
A minimum of 8 have to be "home-grown" i.e. been registered with any club affiliated to The FA or the FAW for a period, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

The classification for Under 21 players is born on or after 1 January 2001.

I know it might sound daft but I think that (or something pretty close) should be a rule anyway. You have cover in each position and if that cover is used then you have your unlimited youth set up to draw from.  You get competition and the chance to come through the ranks. 

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Our friends at the EFL didn't take long to point out we remain under embargo.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/july/efl-statement-derby-county-exit-administration/

The relevant extract reads:

"As part of the conditions of continuing membership in the EFL, the Club, whilst remaining under a registration embargo, will be permitted to sign new players in accordance with the terms of a business plan. The plan, which has been jointly agreed by the new ownership and the EFL, includes restrictions in respect of transfers fees, player wages and agents’ fees. Any application to register players must comply with the terms of those agreed plans."

I guess we all knew this was coming. What the statement does not say, is how long this will remain for. Is it the whole season? Is it the following season as well? 

And what the terms are will dictate how competitive we can be. As before, we cannot even extend registrations for existing players without meeting the EFL's demands. While I'm grateful we still have a club, I will never forgive the EFL for what they did to us. 

I’d expect this to be in place for a few seasons tbh.

2 hours ago, jono said:

I know it might sound daft but I think that (or something pretty close) should be a rule anyway. You have cover in each position and if that cover is used then you have your unlimited youth set up to draw from.  You get competition and the chance to come through the ranks. 

It is a rule. This will be the third season it has existed for L1 and L2.

40 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

It is a rule. This will be the third season it has existed for L1 and L2.

Applies to all then and not specific to our EFL business plans and restrictions then ? 

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

@alram, you’ve made it clear that you want us to sign young players, can’t you just let us have the likes of  Hourihane and a couple of others to complement these youths you’re proposing. He’s not past it at 31, has good pedigree, a good injury record, WON’T be on massive wages as this discussion is about the restrictions we will face and could be a key part of the jigsaw.
Dave Mackay, Paul McGrath, John Eustace, Matt Oakley, Eranio, Baiano are a handful of Derby based examples I can think of who were more “experienced” in their careers and contributed massively to the club. There are countless examples at other sides around the world, age doesn’t instantly equal a bad move for the club. Morris paid over the odds for the wrong players at the wrong time, signing a couple of experienced pros on affordable terms who can contribute to what the manager needs and wants is exactly what I want to see.

i dont think 1 or 2 is an issue, it is more that we seem to be signing lots of them.

if we sign the players linked and thats it in regards to old players i could take that. but if you think short term you suffer long term, our recruitment plans seem to be the same thing we have done for years. hourihane wont be a small earner in league one whatever restrictions we have. 

look i know many wont agree but i feel passionately that to turn the club around we need to build a young squad with players on the up. i think we got very lucky with our old players we brought in last season so people think that old players always do a job, its simply not the case. rooney got the very best out of the players he had.

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

@alram, you’ve made it clear that you want us to sign young players, can’t you just let us have the likes of  Hourihane and a couple of others to complement these youths you’re proposing. He’s not past it at 31, has good pedigree, a good injury record, WON’T be on massive wages as this discussion is about the restrictions we will face and could be a key part of the jigsaw.
Dave Mackay, Paul McGrath, John Eustace, Matt Oakley, Eranio, Baiano are a handful of Derby based examples I can think of who were more “experienced” in their careers and contributed massively to the club. There are countless examples at other sides around the world, age doesn’t instantly equal a bad move for the club. Morris paid over the odds for the wrong players at the wrong time, signing a couple of experienced pros on affordable terms who can contribute to what the manager needs and wants is exactly what I want to see.

spot on mate

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I think clows cleared the lot as radio derby said we are now debt free.

It’s true B4 We are debt free but DC only paid what he needed to according to the law and EFL rules. Many creditors will not recover 75% of what the old owners owed. We have a clean slate but there were casualties as often happens in business. 

To be honest, for the coming season we just need to cobble together a team that can be "ok" in league 1 in a very short time - probably easiest to that with vet journey men than clever young prospects.

Tactical transfers for July 22 has got to be get a credible team together.

Jan 23 and onwards building on value recruitment.

Just my take anyway.

I think younger signings for the long-term would be good too... however, these are the players that every team will be looking for! Not many of that age are available for nothing and I don't think we'll be spending fees any time soon. We're still under an embargo so, for now, we'll just have to go with the best players available to us. If these are players in their early to mid 30s that will be coming in on free transfers then so be it if that's what it takes to give us a competitive side this year.

43 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s true B4 We are debt free but DC only paid what he needed to according to the law and EFL rules. Many creditors will not recover 75% of what the old owners owed. We have a clean slate but there were casualties as often happens in business. 

Wigan only paid 25% to non football creditors. There was no mention by Efl when Wigan exited admin of player embargos. 

13 hours ago, alram said:

we will need to be smart with our recruitment, we can’t afford wastage because of the business plan (embargo) so if we go out and waste money in the first year we could spend the next few just trying to correct mistakes and end up stuck in this league like lots of teams.

YOUNG profile players between 21-27 with at least 100+ games under their belts. invest in the future, that’s the only way we will bounce back sustainably. not by signing hourihane.

we need to take this as an opportunity to build from scratch

I hear what you’re saying, and that is a good long term vision. But right now we need players, regardless of age and stage. The profile should be professionals who will work hard for the team and have some quality. Hourihane not only ticks those boxes, but far exceeds what we can expect at this level. He was running the midfield for 2 of the last 4 seasons in the Championship. Can’t believe some don’t like the idea of it

22 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I think the 40 signing remark was with renewing contracts including contracts from the youth academy. Obviously they can't be all for the first team.

think that remark may have  come from Rooney’s PR team. Intended to show what a great job he was doing and possibly also to ward off any competition to CK’s bid