New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I’ll be so disappointed if McDonald comes in.

Would only be a cheap back up with Thompson, will be Smith & Bird first choice, Hourihane probably 3rd choice too. Be a Eustace style player in there

7 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Would only be a cheap back up with Thompson, will be Smith & Bird first choice, Hourihane probably 3rd choice too. Be a Eustace style player in there

Not worth the funds to do it

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I'm pretty sure people were disappointed when Matt Oakley and John Eustace came in, and they ended up being key parts of very decent teams...

Don’t remember either of those players being useless and released, gone to Scotland and been useless and released, then come on trial and look useless… all while rapidly heading towards mid 30s. Would be a waste of wages to just have him sit on the bench. 

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

I’ll be so disappointed if McDonald comes in.

Hard to tell at this point, a run of six good games could help us win promotion- who knows but it does highlight that there are bids out there for Bird and Knight and the transfer window is open for another 5 weeks and then again in January and we could lose them to a perceived acceptable bid came in a flash of time.

seems sensible with that backdrop if cheap enough 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Don’t remember either of those players being useless and released, gone to Scotland and been useless and released, then come on trial and look useless… all while rapidly heading towards mid 30s. Would be a waste of wages to just have him sit on the bench. 

Coming in as cover for Bird, Hourihane, Knight, Smith and LThompson. A bit a a stop gap until DRobinson is ready to step up to the first team regularly.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Coming in as cover for Bird, Hourihane, Knight, Smith and LThompson. A bit a a stop gap until DRobinson is ready to step up to the first team regularly.

Bit of a comedown from Dale Stephens. I’d rather have him as an option particularly in away games.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

So 6th option? Waste of a signing then. 

6th option for a group of players covering potentially 3 positions.  And there are 3 relatively inexperienced players in that group too.

I know he's not the most exciting signing in the world, but our go-to strategy to see out games last season was throwing Stearman on and going to a back 5 and trying to withstand a bombardment.  I'd much rather chuck on an experienced central midfielder and control the remainder of the game and not get bombarded in the first place. If he only makes a dozen 10-minute cameos, but those cameos help turn 1-0 leads into 1-0 wins, then he's worth it. 

34 minutes ago, Papahet said:

If Mcdonald was coming in, surely he'd have played more minutes in pre season (?)

10 minutes ago, Thameram said:

Injured at the moment

7 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Replace a potential crock with a definite crock…?

Or use the Bielik money to get a right back then play Knight in midfield.

Sorted.