New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

Current squad, moved Forsyth back to 'players linked' as there must be a reason he hasnt signed up yet. Also feel like Stretton should be in the youngsters section with us bringing in another striker.

Screenshot_20220716-100802_Samsung Notes.jpg

Edited by DCFC1388

GK Blackman or u23 Prem loan 

RB- prem loan 

lB - Forsyth + Koiko 

CM- if bird or sibley goes 

LW- glover + possibly lolley forest want rid or if we sell someone i like Scully at Lincoln or Joe Powell at burton 

RW- cover for NML or Barkhuisen u23 loan or could get Malcolm back on loan 

SK- u23 loan with pace or left Field the Congolese striker at chesterfield 

Just now, simmoram1995 said:

GK Blackman or u23 Prem loan 

RB- prem loan 

lB - Forsyth + Koiko 

CM- if bird or sibley goes 

LW- glover + possibly lolley forest want rid or if we sell someone i like Scully at Lincoln or Joe Powell at burton 

RW- cover for NML or Barkhuisen u23 loan or could get Malcolm back on loan 

SK- u23 loan with pace or left Field the Congolese striker at chesterfield 

I’d send Cybuiski on loan + keep stretton around first team 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Anybody else getting a bit "meh"? about all these new signings now? 

I need to see them all in action, work out who they are and what their playing styles are before I can appreciate them! 

Seemingly from rags to riches.

It's quite amazing the transformation from the last couple of seasons where we were picking up whatever crumbs were available to us to apparently targeting players to meet our requirements. 

12 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Yeh he is good, but you need more than that. Is he better than Chester? No. Better than Davies? No.

Im not saying he isnt good, im saying he isnt ready to be a regular for us, so if he is going to be 4th choice then maybe its better for him & us if he went on loan to a team where is a regular starter

Fwiw I think Cashin is good but I get where you’re coming from …he  will be ok in L1 but do worry about his lack of pace against quicker , better strikers 

I think he’ll do well in L1 but he’s not the quickest or tallest which may hinder his progress to another level 

4 minutes ago, S8TY said:

After what we’ve been through how can signing players be meh?

Maybe a better word would have been overwhelmed. It's like being a kid who have too many Christmas presents. You unwrap them all and throw 'em aside, look for even more and then grump around all day. It's only the day after boxing day you discover which one of them is really your favourite present! 

I've only seen five of them in action so far, so six newbies to check out today, assuming they've trained enough to play.

I expect by next weekend, they'll all feel like old mates.

Clubs in League One shall be permitted to name up to a maximum 22 Players, of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player. Under 21 players do not need to be named on the Squad List to be eligible to participate in a League Match.

Are we close to that number now?

We still have 6 and a half weeks of the transfer window to go, and we only have a few more spots to fill in the first team squad. Given the position we came from in administration, I think the most impressive feature of our transfer window is the speed at which we’ve got our business done. Being able to get the group together for a number of friendlies should have a big impact, and help us make a quicker start than if we were still scouting the market in late August (obviously)!

The other way to look at that is we still have 6 and a half weeks to fend off advances for players we want to keep…but I keep myself happy by pretending that if anyone wanted to leave they would have done so by now!

Another pleasing feature is that only one of our loan spots has been taken up so far. I expected us to lean heavily on the loan market- partly due to financial restrictions, but also we are a VERY attractive proposition to a Prem academy looking for somewhere to send their top talent on loan (facilities, playing decent football, experienced squad, and of course top support every week- home and away). Loan moves tend to happen a bit later, I think, so maybe there is more to come there.

Finally, I hope there will be at least a handful more brought into the U21 squad. We’ve got such a good track record of finding discarded gems in the past few years, so surely it’s a case of rinse and repeat. I’ve long said that we should be sending more of our top academy prospects on loan, if we want them to develop more quickly. No idea if the budget allows for that many players, but I really hope that’s where we can get to in the next few years. 

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Current squad, moved Forsyth back to 'players linked' as there must be a reason he hasnt signed up yet. Also feel like Stretton should be in the youngsters section with us bringing in another striker.

Is there a possibility that Fozzy signing might be announced at the ground before kick off?

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Daft question, who's Sotana? I seem to have missed them, in my defence there's been plenty of names haha

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Maybe a better word would have been overwhelmed. It's like being a kid who have too many Christmas presents. You unwrap them all and throw 'em aside, look for even more and then grump around all day. It's only the day after boxing day you discover which one of them is really your favourite present! 

I've only seen five of them in action so far, so six newbies to check out today, assuming they've trained enough to play.

I expect by next weekend, they'll all feel like old mates.

Good post but can’t empathise; just see each signing as an incremental return to normality!

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I am not sure who 'x' is, but he is very versatile 

Edited by BathRam72

14 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

The other side of it is next season - what happens if we play Davies and Chester all season and go up, and then they both leave or retire? We’re back to square one and have Cashin who’s sat on his backside for 12 months learning nothing.  Honestly, we’ll be in a much better position if we spend an extra season at this level, and go up with a load of youngsters established in the team, than go straight up and have half the team retire on the spot.

If I'm not much mistaken, this is what Coventry did in Div 1. Played a load of academy players and youngsters and didn't really look back. They were flirting with the Championship play-offs for a short while last season.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Clubs in League One shall be permitted to name up to a maximum 22 Players, of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player. Under 21 players do not need to be named on the Squad List to be eligible to participate in a League Match.

Are we close to that number now?

No. We currnetly have a 21 man squad, 7 of which class as under 21.