New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

16 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Cyrus Christie who runs up the pitch and doesn't bother to come back, has no positional awareness or footballing intelligence of any kind,  can't defend offers nothing in attack and just gets in other people's way?

Cyrus Christie one of the most useless RBs we've had in the past 15 years who was shown up for what he was by a 33 year old Chris Baird?

I do share some of your concerns but who do you suggest? Someone who gets up the pitch, provides an attacking threat and is available on a free.

Phil Bardsley would be solid defensively but wouldn't have the legs to get foward much.

3 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Cyrus Christie who runs up the pitch and doesn't bother to come back, has no positional awareness or footballing intelligence of any kind,  can't defend offers nothing in attack and just gets in other people's way?

Cyrus Christie one of the most useless RBs we've had in the past 15 years who was shown up for what he was by a 33 year old Chris Baird?

Also the one who has played nearly 400 league games and 30 internationals. Some managers clearly feel he has something to offer

8 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

I was disappointed that we sold Christie and replaced him by spending twice as much money on Wisdom, I could never understand the love for Wisdom, he was strong and he was strong and he was strong and that's about it. He was very slow and turned slower than the QE2. If he went past the half way line he got a nose bleed. He was totally unsuited to be a modern full back, maybe suited to the right side of a back 3.

36 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Wouldn't be the first Alki we've had in our squad, but I reckon this is COBBLERS. However, if it happens, he'll be a SHOE-IN for the first XI I reckon. 

Think you need to take your beer goggles off and try reading the name again... ? 

7 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Says you, and Adam a 21-year-old Reading FC fan and writer who graduated from the University for the Creative Arts in the summer with a degree in Journalism and Media Production.  I hope his crayoning is better than his creative writing. 

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

I was disappointed that we sold Christie and replaced him by spending twice as much money on Wisdom, I could never understand the love for Wisdom, he was strong and he was strong and he was strong and that's about it. He was very slow and turned slower than the QE2. If he went past the half way line he got a nose bleed. He was totally unsuited to be a modern full back, maybe suited to the right side of a back 3.

The love for Wisdom came from when he was here on loan in 2013/14 and was bloody excellent.

Unfortunately the 2017/18 Wisdom wasn't a patch on the 2013/14 version.

10 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I do share some of your concerns but who do you suggest? Someone who gets up the pitch, provides an attacking threat and is available on a free.

Phil Bardsley would be solid defensively but wouldn't have the legs to get foward much.

Unless the intention is to play a back 5 then both fullbacks must be able to defend above all else - Christie just isn't capable. His positional play is so poor.

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Would I be racist in objecting to anyone called Blackman? 

Depends on your reasons, but the fact you've brought it up (and posted it as a comment) already would probably point to some sort of subconscious racism, whether you like it or not.

I don't think this thread needs to descend into another racism debate though.

22 minutes ago, roboto said:

Depends on your reasons, but the fact you've brought it up (and posted it as a comment) already would probably point to some sort of subconscious racism, whether you like it or not.

I don't think this thread needs to descend into another racism debate though.

Well my reason was of course that Nick Blackman was one of our worst ever signings. I would object to signing anyone called Butterfield for the same reason.