Rooney leaves

ThePrisoner

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

It says many times in the last few pages that Curtis Davies found out via his mate after seeing it on Sky Sports News

If that's true then it's total hypocrisy from Mr Rooney after moaning like a drain about claiming  he wasn't told by Morris about certain vital developments at the club. 

Only issue is whether we can attract the right players.

Dont get the distraught really...Rooney would have been a draw for some, but done nothing to suggest he has the ability to blend a team who are on the front-foot and winning regularly.  Likewise Rosenior.

I'm just glad we have a club. Rooney played a huge part in getting the sinking ship back to shore, now we need to repair and refit and send it back out with a new captain. 

Find it unlikely Clowes will come in and not go safe (and cheap) with Rosenior. Getting Davies in as Assistant (and possible stalking horse) seems sensible and likely to me.

Meh, we move on. He did a decent job with his hands tied, but didn't seem to learn anything about repeated mistakes away from home. I would be loyal for 90k a week, but the timing after all we've been through, sucks. Please don't think I'm having a go, or anything, it's just has you get older you realise that players/managers come and go, (frequently in the modern game) it's hard to attach yourself. At the end of the day its about the club and the fans, we will be here next season and i think it will a cracker. UTR 

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Would be very happy with Rosenoir taking over. Cheaper option, great coach and knows the EFL leagues. 

Im gutted he’s gone - I think most players will now go, but I’m also annoyed because we appear to have allowed the resignation and thus, no compo when he goes somewhere else.

No one knows what was written into his contract??

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Well at this point we would be stupid not to ask Dyche if he wanted the job before we even look at the others available- I can’t imagine he would fancy it but who knows 

Dyche will be back in the Premier League soon, a couple of months into the season, a team not doing as well as expected resulting in a change of manager.

I want to hear it all unfold and see who says what because at the moment we're all offering opinions based on very few facts.

But this is my gut reaction based upon very little is this

I was one of those who never called for Rooney's head and was fine with him being given the job.

I was also impressed with how he handled himself and galvanised the club.

However, and a lot of people won't like to hear this,  most clubs of our size would have coalesced around most managers under the same circumstances..

It's just what human beings do when faced with adversity.

They come together.

Think of the Dunkirk spirit.

Think of Ukraine.

Think Boston Strong (after the marathon bombings)

Think of We Are Derby.

The whole We are thing adopted the world over by sports clubs started with Marshall University after they lost over half of their (American) football team in a plane crash in the early 70s.

We Are Marshall became the mantra that created a tight knit community born out of adversity.

The point I'm making is from a human psychology standpoint, all Rooney had to do was to turn up and commit to the cause to create that unity.

I'm very disappointed that he's gone and I feel especially bad for the person who said 'I have a great idea, let's offer Wayne Rooney the freedom of the city', but I'm disappointed because of the players I believed he could attract.

As well also, as I did like the football the team was trying to play.

But, from what little I know, I do think him walking out now undermines the *loyalty* he's shown the club.

Staying with the club when he was under a whopper of a contract for a relatively short period of time is hardly the stuff of legend.

Real loyalty would have meant him saying 'Right, we have new owners, we can start to bring in my players, we have games to plan for and I love this club and the fans, so let's get cracking'

Instead Rooney said 'let's get packing'

Gut reaction.

Duck him.

Long term opinion.

No idea yet.

6 hours ago, SethJohnson said:

If we take away all of the outside stuff has he really done that well as a manager? The football has at times been awful and the tactics nonexistent. If he wasn’t called Rooney we would all be calling him out (as we did a couple of years ago). Yes, he managed to ‘foster’ a siege mentality last year but his actual in game management was, lets be honest, s****. 

I will particularly miss the total inevitability of losing every away game in League 1 this season and also the comedy goals conceded by insisting on pratting around with the ball at the back. 

21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I find it a little odd that I have been reading posts on here for months saying surely Rooney will walk, then when he does it’s like ‘how dare he?’

That comment would have made sense if you'd been reading Rooney should walk and people were now aghast.

You can think something is going to happen and then be angry that it does.

Having said that, I must have scrolled through 500 comments on Facebook last night and the vast, VAST majority were supportive of him.

1 hour ago, Kuskus said:

I have found strange that no Derby players have posted on social media thanking Wayne and wishing him good luck

They might be doing the same, following Rooney out of the door. Don't think Davies will stick around. He has already said he sees his future as a pundit and not coaching/management. One last decent season at Hull perhaps and retire on a high.

Edited by atherstoneram
spelling

This could quite conceivably have materialised over an hour or so... maybe 3 or 4 hours at most, and much of that being sat in an office discussing matters face to face.  It's a bit rude to get your mobile out in those circumstances, and when he did get the chance, I'd imagine he was on the blower to his missus, and manager/agent first.

...By which time, the rumours are flying, the media get wind (Excuse me!), and Dave-down-the-pub is texting his player-mate.

I don't think we can castigate WR for not speaking to the lads first, before they heard from elsewhere.   

It will be interesting to see how Wayne fairs if he gets the gig at an ambitious Championship club with high expectations and big budget.

There's no doubt he has been a fantastic leader of men and a strong figurehead for our club during horrific times, however his true managerial capabilities haven't really been tested yet.

My slept on it thoughts (©Ed Dawes) - This has certainly soured my view of Rooney - We know every manager goes eventually but I'm not sure this timing could have been worse. Day 1 of a new owners reign, he will need to find a new manager. Players left even more in limbo than they already were and potential signings may be having second thoughts. As I alluded to on page 1, many of us will be eternally grateful to Rooney and in a couple of years, this will be a mere footnote in our history but right now I feel a little let down!

23 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

My slept on it thoughts (©Ed Dawes) - This has certainly soured my view of Rooney - We know every manager goes eventually but I'm not sure this timing could have been worse. Day 1 of a new owners reign, he will need to find a new manager. Players left even more in limbo than they already were and potential signings may be having second thoughts. As I alluded to on page 1, many of us will be eternally grateful to Rooney and in a couple of years, this will be a mere footnote in our history but right now I feel a little let down!

The timing of his departure is absolutely appalling I agree. But as one who went to all of the 9 away defeats in a row , maybe this might just be the right thing in the longer term. ?