King Kevin Hector

Carnero

On 01/06/2022 at 09:36, BobdeBilder said:

He is a pensioner, he played in an age where even top footballers didn't earn much so he is probably earning a bit to help get by. He wouldn't have been a postman for years if playing football had left him wealthy. Pisses me off that there are players today making millions who are not fit to clean his boots.

You don't have to be that fit to clean a pair of boots. I regularly clean mine with no more than a 5 minute sit down half way through and I'm not even a Premier League player. 

22 minutes ago, Rev said:

It must have been hard, working in such a pressure cooker environment. 

How did you let off steam?

2 things, Playing football on Chester Green at dinner time and getting the wage packet in cash on the Friday then straight to the Duke of Clarence for a few pints.

PS

I got the pressure cooker pun ?

On 01/06/2022 at 09:36, BobdeBilder said:

He is a pensioner, he played in an age where even top footballers didn't earn much so he is probably earning a bit to help get by. He wouldn't have been a postman for years if playing football had left him wealthy. Pisses me off that there are players today making millions who are not fit to clean his boots.

The King has no resentment whatsoever that he was born at the wrong time to gain the rewards that the players of the past 30 years have received. He has always been grateful that he was able to buy his bungalow freehold from the signing-on fee he received from his transfer from Bradford Park Avenue when he was 21 years old. He never had a mortgage, which he has said several times over the years that he is grateful for.

But like you Bob I have always been disappointed over the years since Kevin retired,  that I have had to watch too many quite average players become multi-millionaires while playing for Derby County, while he did not receive the comparative financial rewards he deserved - if I could go back in time, I would settle for a game or two of Kevin Hector as opposed to a season of Fabrizio Ravanelli. When he arrived at Derby in 1966 he instantly became the singular star of the team. Within a season or two, he was a star among many. Some will claim that McFarland and Todd were greater players and I wouldn't wish for one minute to argue with them about that. But for those who watched us through the times, generically I firmly believe that Kevin emerges as the overall fans' favourite of the greatest period in our history. He was the first major star to arrive, with all due respect to Durban, Webster and Boulton and also the last to finally leave. I do not recall a Derby fan ever saying a bad word about him and that is some accolade. He made more appearances and was the second highest goalscorer in our history after Steve Bloomer. He was a model professional who never brought our club into disrepute at any time during his association with us. He has continued as an exemplary role model throughout his retirement.

Hector’s ball control, particularly while running at speed was exceptional. Although there were plenty of defenders who would love to have given him a kicking, they usually found it impossible to get close enough, even at the Baseball Ground where he had the knack of gliding along the muddy surface and leaving less nimble opponents bogged down.

Following his 113 goals for Bradford PA in 167 appearances, he eventually finished up with 201 goals for Derby and it is unlikely that his 589 appearances for our club will ever be equalled. 

Not only was he a great player, he is a great person.

5 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

The King has no resentment whatsoever that he was born at the wrong time to gain the rewards that the players of the past 30 years have received. He has always been grateful that he was able to buy his bungalow freehold from the signing-on fee he received from his transfer from Bradford Park Avenue when he was 21 years old. He never had a mortgage, which he has said several times over the years that he is grateful for.

But like you Bob I have always been disappointed over the years since Kevin retired,  that I have had to watch too many quite average players become multi-millionaires while playing for Derby County, while he did not receive the comparative financial rewards he deserved - if I could go back in time, I would settle for a game or two of Kevin Hector as opposed to a season of Fabrizio Ravanelli. When he arrived at Derby in 1966 he instantly became the singular star of the team. Within a season or two, he was a star among many. Some will claim that McFarland and Todd were greater players and I wouldn't wish for one minute to argue with them about that. But for those who watched us through the times, generically I firmly believe that Kevin emerges as the overall fans' favourite of the greatest period in our history. He was the first major star to arrive, with all due respect to Durban, Webster and Boulton and also the last to finally leave. I do not recall a Derby fan ever saying a bad word about him and that is some accolade. He made more appearances and was the second highest goalscorer in our history after Steve Bloomer. He was a model professional who never brought our club into disrepute at any time during his association with us. He has continued as an exemplary role model throughout his retirement.

Hector’s ball control, particularly while running at speed was exceptional. Although there were plenty of defenders who would love to have given him a kicking, they usually found it impossible to get close enough, even at the Baseball Ground where he had the knack of gliding along the muddy surface and leaving less nimble opponents bogged down.

Following his 113 goals for Bradford PA in 167 appearances, he eventually finished up with 201 goals for Derby and it is unlikely that his 589 appearances for our club will ever be equalled. 

I first saw Kevin Hector play in 1969/70 season as a 9 year old. Up til then i thought the best players in the world were Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton. Hector was not far off that that level. A magnificent footballer, on the worst pitches, attempted murder with every tackle from the dirtiest players of all time (most of em played for Leeds), yet he glided over the field scoring and assisting goal after goal with a coolness and skill that would be worth £50m in todays football market.

Met him a few times and played against him once when he turned out for the DCFC old boys team. Absolute legend. Never a bad word to say against anyone.

He was quiet, polite, humble yet friendly and funny and more than ready to talk about the team that was the best in England for many years.

So Kevin Hector will always be my favourite ever Derby County player - favourite ever footballer.

I've written on other threads how I won a school essay competition in 1970 "Who I would most like to meet" and wrote about Zak and why. My prize was to go to the BBG to watch a training session, get a tour of the ground, meet the players and even Cloughie in his office. Cherished memories.

So it makes me very sad that he chose not to participate in the 1972 celebrations. Yet from the reports of today and other days, he looked well, was happy to meet fans and talk about the old days. The club is - or will be soon - under new ownership. So why is there still this breakdown in relationship between the great man and the club? Or is it actually with former team mates?

As for being shy, not liking the limelight, surely walking onto the pitch with 10-15 others would not be so bad for someone who played in front of crowds of tens of thousands in the past. He could do that without having to make speeches or being in an individual spotlight.

I just wish he still felt part of it.

Edited by IslandExile

On 01/06/2022 at 09:58, BobdeBilder said:

They weren't paid that well. Read an article some time ago stating the players at Derby didn't earn much more than £100 per week in the early 70's.

I remember reading that at the time and thinking I'll never earn that much a week in my life!

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

So Kevin Hector will always be my favourite ever Derby County player - favourite ever footballer.

I've written on other threads how I won a school essay competition in 1970 "Who I would most like to meet" and wrote about Zak and why. My prize was to go to the BBG to watch a training session, get a tour of the ground, meet the players and even Cloughie in his office. Cherished memories.

So it makes me very sad that he chose not to participate in the 1972 celebrations. Yet from the reports of today and other days, he looked well, was happy to meet fans and talk about the old days. The club is - or will be soon - under new ownership. So why is there still this breakdown in relationship between the great man and the club? Or is it actually with former team mates?

As for being shy, not liking the limelight, surely walking onto the pitch with 10-15 others would not be so bad for someone who played in front of crowds of tens of thousands in the past. He could do that without having to make speeches or being in an individual spotlight.

I just wish he still felt part of it.

I went to the Neptune yesterday to meet Kevin .He was really pleasant a really nice man very down to earth .I had a long chat to him a few of the things he said ,which I`m sure he wouldn`t mind me disclosing.

Were that TIM Ward was a real gentleman probably to nice to be a manager. How he was overlooked by leeds because Don Revie said he was too small,he talked about his second spell with Derby how he came into a poor side and in his last match how he gave away a penalty and scored aginst Watford.He never got sent off and only got booked for "silly" things like kicking the ball away He has lived in the same house for 50 years he even kept it while he was playing in Canada.And the ONLY reason he didn`t participate in 72 anniversary was he was on holiday in Spain else he would have attended he`s still in touch with the ex players especially Big Rog .He told me he ran the ex Rams but no longer since he has given up playing football even walking football.

There is a saying "never meet your heroes" NOT in this case.

7 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Some will claim that McFarland and Todd were greater players and I wouldn't wish for one minute to

Hinton will always remain my favourite player at the time...even after missing the penalty against Juventus?

Todd and McFarland were 2 Derby greats, Hector also, Being defenders and an attacker puts those 3 in a slightly different pigeon hole, Goal scorers will always get the vote and rightly so...goals win games, But McFarland's timing when heading a ball was supreme, Just gently nudge his marker when the ball is coming their way, Todd seamed to make his own time on the ball just wonderful to watch and would rather play darts in his local than turn out for England...wrote Neil Hallam many many years ago.

Hector, McFarland and Todd would be in the £100 million + bracket today, Earning well into the 6 figure sums of today, Grealish an example of the shear madness that clubs will pay for ordinary players.

1 hour ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

I went to the Neptune yesterday to meet Kevin .He was really pleasant a really nice man very down to earth .I had a long chat to him a few of the things he said ,which I`m sure he wouldn`t mind me disclosing.

Were that TIM Ward was a real gentleman probably to nice to be a manager. How he was overlooked by leeds because Don Revie said he was too small,he talked about his second spell with Derby how he came into a poor side and in his last match how he gave away a penalty and scored aginst Watford.He never got sent off and only got booked for "silly" things like kicking the ball away He has lived in the same house for 50 years he even kept it while he was playing in Canada.And the ONLY reason he didn`t participate in 72 anniversary was he was on holiday in Spain else he would have attended he`s still in touch with the ex players especially Big Rog .He told me he ran the ex Rams but no longer since he has given up playing football even walking football.

There is a saying "never meet your heroes" NOT in this case.

Thank you so much for that. Really glad to hear.

Played in midfield mostly in that second spell and I remember his last game, the 3-2 against Watford.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/derby-county-v-watford-15-may-1982-120285/

Even in 76/77 when the crowd sang "Charlie's the king of Derby", Kevin was always my first love. (Charlie was great aswell though)

Edited by IslandExile
Added link to Watford stats

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Brilliant post.

15 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Legend, had a good chat with him. I asked him if he still played, he said not for about five years.no idea why the photo is sideways ??‍♂️

C0BE8C0E-2E30-4A12-A9CF-45D794BEC070.jpeg

How did Kevin know that the photo would appear sideways?

11 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

How did Kevin know that the photo would appear sideways?

I should have asked him, I tried to turn it round but couldn’t, asked my daughter, son-in-law and 10 year old tech savvy (aren’t they all)granddaughter but none of them could work out how to turn it round so I sent it anyway.?

16 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Legend, had a good chat with him. I asked him if he still played, he said not for about five years.no idea why the photo is sideways ??‍♂️

C0BE8C0E-2E30-4A12-A9CF-45D794BEC070.jpeg

You both look much better standing up ?

The King & Forever Ram.png

Kevin Hector looks great for 77 especially when you compare him with much younger retired players.  In the pictures above you can see from his waist size that he is looking after himself. I've known a few postmen and I think all that walking has tremendous benefits. One of them told me he was being paid to keep fit.

I was behind the goal at the Normanton End when Kevin made his wonderful home debut against Huddersfield and I can remember one of his last games at the Baseball Ground many years later when it looked as if he was going to race through the defence and score but alas his speed had gone. In fact, I was surprised he lasted so long because when I watched him in a charity game at the Osmaston Sports Ground in the mid or late 1970s he looked completely knackered. There was a tiny attendance and standing on the touchline I had very close view of the players. He looked as weak as a kitten. Perhaps this is just my imagination but in my mind I can see Archie Gemmill laughing as Kevin struggled to reach an easy pass. It could be that he was ill or just recovering from illness.

He might have ended up with a nice house but he deserved to have made as much money from football as any of them are getting today. We know that the TV companies got away with paying peanuts but where did all the gate money go? They didn't spend much on ground improvements. Someone was making money but it wasn't the players. 

Kevin was The King - my favourite player of all time, too.

Was lucky enough to see his whole career and he was a sensation right away when he joined Derby.

A complete player - skill, speed, balance, grace, great temperament - and a fantastic finisher. A thrill to watch him, every game.

2nd only to Bloomer of course in the pantheon of DCFC strikers; if only we could find his like again (fat chance!)

We had a great wave of heritage recognition in past decades (Clough & Taylor, Mackay & Bloomer monuments); after the crap we've been through as a fanbase for several years, we could well do with some renewed focus on celebrating our history in the new era. 

Speaking of paltry wages for stellar players, as we were - I had occasion to liaise with World Cup hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst, along with his England teammate Martin Peters, in the mid-1980s, during my time in vehicle dealership operations - they were sales representatives for a national used car warranty company.

I'd guess Harry Kane might get paid for endorsing a car manufacturer or auto product - but I doubt whether he would have to man the phones and arrange documentation as well!

C O Y R

Edited by Woodypecker

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I first saw Kevin Hector play in 1969/70 season as a 9 year old. Up til then i thought the best players in the world were Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton. Hector was not far off that that level. A magnificent footballer, on the worst pitches, attempted murder with every tackle from the dirtiest players of all time (most of em played for Leeds), yet he glided over the field scoring and assisting goal after goal with a coolness and skill that would be worth £50m in todays football market.

Met him a few times and played against him once when he turned out for the DCFC old boys team. Absolute legend. Never a bad word to say against anyone.

He was quiet, polite, humble yet friendly and funny and more than ready to talk about the team that was the best in England for many years.

This is such a good description. He absolutely glided over that rubbish Baseball Ground pitch, the ball never more than a couple of inches from his feet. And always seemed to be in the right place at the right time to back a goal. Fantastic talent. Too modest for his own good if the stories of his Poland appearance for England are to be believed!