King Kevin Hector

Carnero

6 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

In 1979-80 I used to enjoy watching King Kevin and Ian Storey Moore up front for Non League (NPL) Burton Albion. They clearly played for enjoyment but still had that touch of magic which Kevin treated us to at the BBG.

Thanks for the memories Zak!

Neil Warnock finished his League playing career with Crewe and joined Burton in the NPL. He played on the right wing with Hector alongside him and Storey-Moore on the left wing . In his autobiography, Warnock waxes lyrical about what great players they still were and what pleasure it gave him to play with players of that high standard, even though Storey-Moore took days to recover after a game because of his damaged ankle.

Colin wasn't all bad you know ?

On 01/06/2022 at 10:55, Unlucky Alf said:

The average wage in 1970 was £18.37 rising to £68.92 by 1979, So if Derby players didn't earn much more than £100 per week I'd say they were well paid, Was this including or excluding win bonuses?, Testimonials?, Sponsored cars?.

I saw Phil Gees wage slip as a friend was fixing his car and looked in the glove compartment, £600 a week around 1986-87

As an aside, My 1st wage packet was £6.50 as a 15 year old in 1971 working as a warehouseman for Butlers office equipment.

Hinton in his book claimed to be on £110 a week but did not mention bonus payments but was making the point how little they were paid even though it was just over 5 times the average man was paid

6 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Hinton in his book claimed to be on £110 a week but did not mention bonus payments but was making the point how little they were paid even though it was just over 5 times the average man was paid

Even today with all the multi millionaire's who'll be moaning they're not paid enough.

I've just googled this quote.

"When Kevin Keegan joined Liverpool from Scunthorpe in May 1971, Bill Shankly’s first wage offer was £45 per week. In his 1977 autobiography, Keegan recalled: ‘I wanted to sign there and then but remembered that my father had told me not to sell myself cheap.’ Keegan told Shankly he expected more than £45. Shankly replied: ‘That’s upsetting. Don’t forget, young man, we’re paying £33,000 for you.’ Keegan’s basic wage at Scunthorpe, in the old Fourth Division, had been £30 a week, with £8 win bonus and £4 draw bonus. Keegan and Shankly eventually settled on a starting wage of £50 a week at Liverpool. Regular first-team football, appearance money and win bonuses added £80 a week to that basic figure, for £130 a week for one of England’s best players at one of its biggest clubs"

Full story here

https://www.sportingintelligence.com/2011/01/20/from-20-to-33868-per-week-a-quick-history-of-english-footballs-top-flight-wages-200101/

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

That’s what you get when you don’t read every page ?Brailsford Ram kindly sorted it out for me.

Well in fairness that came after the post I quoted. Also, I've edited your original listing not the photo but I guess my little joke got overlooked.

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Well in fairness that came after the post I quoted. Also, I've edited your original listing not the photo but I guess my little joke got overlooked.

We’ll our street party went on till 1 am so this morning most things are getting overlooked ??

On 04/06/2022 at 14:02, LazloW said:

Another legend not happy with him though…

I find all of this very disappointing and unnecessary on Alan Hinton's part. Like a lot of members of this forum who lived through their times when they played for our club, I have brilliant memories of what both of them and their teammates did for our club. Anyone who saw it but didn't appreciate it either doesn't exist or they missed a big trick somewhere along the way. Most of us will forever be grateful for all of their contributions.

But all of them retired and they went their separate ways. For the past 46 years, Alan Hinton has lived in the USA. For the last 56 years, Kevin Hector, born and bred in Leeds, has continued to live in Derby, where his children and grandchildren have spent all their lives. He spends every day in our community and my understanding is that he has always been amenable to engage with anyone who speaks to him about his playing days with our club. But he has always been quiet by nature and his privacy is also very special to him; he is not and he never was public property and who cannot understand that?

Alan, by contrast, visits our city every few years when it suits him, often to attend reunions of the title winning teams. Yet he seems to expect that Kevin should be on call to attend those same events when he has flown in from Seattle; even to the point of cancelling a family holiday to Majorca to accommodate him. Alan, as a former Forest player, has chosen to enjoy that club's promotion to the PL on his recent Tweets; most Derby fans didn't appreciate that. That's perhaps understandable Alan from your point of view, maybe, but Kevin would never express such sentiments because he is Derby County and Bradford Park Avenue through and through and he understands our rivalry with Forest.

I bought your autobiography and enjoyed it very much but even in there you had a dig at Kevin by laughing at how delighted you were when you found out than when Kevin transferred to join you when you were the assistant-coach at Vancouver Whitecaps, that you had been earning five pounds a week more than him at Derby. That was a bit petty Alan. And remember he was the Whitecaps leading scorer when they astoundingly won the NASL Championship agaist all the odds for you; so he owes you nothing in that respect.

Alan, you were a much cherished Prince at Derby County but for 56 years Kevin has reigned as the King. Try to learn from your fellow USA resident, Harry, that it doesn't pay to criticise the Monarchy ?

Edited by Brailsford Ram

5 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I find all of this very disappointing and unnecessary on Alan Hinton's part. Like a lot of members of this forum who lived through their times when they played for our club, I have brilliant memories of what both of them and their teammates did for our club. Anyone who saw it but didn't appreciate it either doesn't exist or they missed a big trick somewhere along the way. Most of us will forever be grateful for all of their contributions.

But all of them retired and they went their separate ways. For the past 46 years, Alan Hinton has lived in the USA. For the last 56 years, Kevin Hector, born and bred in Leeds, has continued to live in Derby, where his children and grandchildren have spent all their lives. He spends every day in our community and my understanding is that he has always been amenable to engage with anyone who speaks to him about his playing days with our club. But he has always been quiet by nature and his privacy is also very special to him; he is not and he never was public property and who cannot understand that?

Alan, by contrast, visits our city every few years when it suits him, often to attend reunions of the title winning teams. Yet he seems to expect that Kevin should be on call to attend those same events when he has flown in from Seattle; even to the point of cancelling a family holiday to Majorca to accommodate him. Alan, as a former Forest player, has chosen to enjoy that club's promotion to the PL on his recent Tweets; most Derby fans didn't appreciate that. That's perhaps understandable Alan from your point of view, maybe, but Kevin would never express such sentiments because he is Derby County and Bradford Park Avenue through and through and he understands our rivalry with Forest.

I bought your autobiography and enjoyed it very much but even in there you had a dig at Kevin by laughing at how delighted you were when you found out than when Kevin transferred to join you when you were the assistant-coach at Vancouver Whitecaps, that you had been earning five pounds a week more than him at Derby. That was a bit petty Alan. And remember he was the Whitecaps leading scorer when they astoundingly won the NASL Championship agaist all the odds for you; so he owes you nothing in that respect.

Alan, you were a much cherished Prince at Derby County but for 56 years Kevin has reigned as the King. Try to learn from your fellow USA resident, Harry, that it doesn't pay to criticise the Monarchy ?

Yeah and Kevin may have missed the club's anniversary celebrations but you, Gladys, missed the most important penalty in the club's history. Nerrr.

7 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Well said

Wish I could give you two likes !