King Kevin Hector

Carnero

7 hours ago, BobdeBilder said:

Phil Gee was 15 years after the period I was talking about and Hector was about retired then so I don't see your point. How many players from the early 70's who didn't stay in football managed to retire? David Nish was a milkman FFS. Charlie George takes people on tours at Arsenal. 

John o hare was a pub landlord. When footballers retired in the 70's they also didnt have money for talking about matches on sky sports.( wish they still didnt).?

7 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

There is no point, I just added it as I thought it might be interesting...obviously passed you by.

So an average wage of £18.37 in 1970 compared to £100 a week in the early 70s is not Well Paid ?‍♀️

And John O'hare worked at Prestige on nights for 2 days until he found out what hard work was once retired, Maybe all these poor players of the 70s took on too much debt and had to work like us ordinary mortals.

Football was a much harder game then than it is now, no rolling about the pitch in agony. Got injured and pain killing injections were considered enough to let them carry on playing every week, not weeks on the sidelines. Think thats why a lot of the old players hobble about now.

10 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

The average wage in 1970 was £18.37 rising to £68.92 by 1979, So if Derby players didn't earn much more than £100 per week I'd say they were well paid, Was this including or excluding win bonuses?, Testimonials?, Sponsored cars?.

I saw Phil Gees wage slip as a friend was fixing his car and looked in the glove compartment, £600 a week around 1986-87

As an aside, My 1st wage packet was £6.50 as a 15 year old in 1971 working as a warehouseman for Butlers office equipment.

So, wages about 5 times national average weekly pay?

For 2022, that is £600 per week (no doubt inflated by mega-millionaires) ?

5 times that is £3,000 per week, which even our wage-restricted footballers exceeded. Meanwhile, we all read headlines about what the likes of Salah and Haaland are on.

I'd say they were relatively poorly paid to today's top footballers, regardless of the person in the street! 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Wikipedia:

"Blunstone later had brief spells as assistant manager of Derby County"

But successful playing career for Chelsea and England.

It's coming back to me.... The Chelsea connection. He was assistant to Tommy Docherty, wasn't he?

We'll forgive him that since he was a close relative and a good footballer.

9 hours ago, angieram said:

So, wages about 5 times national average weekly pay?

For 2022, that is £600 per week (no doubt inflated by mega-millionaires) ?

5 times that is £3,000 per week, which even our wage-restricted footballers exceeded. Meanwhile, we all read headlines about what the likes of Salah and Haaland are on.

I'd say they were relatively poorly paid to today's top footballers, regardless of the person in the street! 

I'd say you were right, But the poster said £100 a week was in their opinion not well paid in the early 70s, I begged to differ, 5 times more than the average wage IMO is well paid.

The average house price in 1970 was circa £5k, While the average price today is circa £275k, I don't remember too many players back in the day putting their names down on the council house waiting list.

I guess your about my age 66, I'd wager it took you a while to get to that £100 a week, It was the late 70s for me, Prestige and it was piece work, 4250 pressure cookers a day earning myself circa £120 a week ?

On 31/05/2022 at 22:44, therealhantsram said:

So correct me if I am wrong, Hector did not get involved in the recent 50 year anniversary reunion, but is happy to promote some dodgy ale in a local pub.

Must be a good story lurking there.

Wasn't there a suggestion he fell out with the club a bit. I remember for the Tinman testimonial it was touch and go whether he would play or not given he wasn't really on talking terms with DCFC. I've also heard on more than one occasion he doesn't really enjoy the adulation thing - e.g. some story when he was a postie he used to be really uncomfortable when people started calling him King and the like.

19 hours ago, UTFR said:

Hector drinks in the Woodlands up at Allestree every Saturday if you can't make this. As does former ram Charlie Palmer.

Once saw Charlie's defensive partner Floyd Streete in a blues party off Normanton Road on the same day as a match. Them was the days....

Edited by BaaLocks

8 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I'd say you were right, But the poster said £100 a week was in their opinion not well paid in the early 70s, I begged to differ, 5 times more than the average wage IMO is well paid.

The average house price in 1970 was circa £5k, While the average price today is circa £275k, I don't remember too many players back in the day putting their names down on the council house waiting list.

I guess your about my age 66, I'd wager it took you a while to get to that £100 a week, It was the late 70s for me, Prestige and it was piece work, 4250 pressure cookers a day earning myself circa £120 a week ?

I don't think Kevin De Bruyne will be running the Cavendish Post Office when he retires, like Henry Newton did, either. Or driving a van, like Neil Webb did. Both of whom were recognised internationals.

Edited by BaaLocks

12 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

It must have been hard, working in such a pressure cooker environment. 

How did you let off steam?