Player Of The Season / Young Player Of The Season

ThePrisoner

26 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

All about opinions, some will agree and some disagree. Can't state as a matter of fact that Bird deserves YPOY.....

I didn’t state it as a fact, I just gave my opinion and substantiated it with some facts.

What is a fact is that Cashin has played 25% of the season and in my opinion to be a PotS you need to have played at the very least half of it!

Feel it's a really tough ask to vote for individuals this season, as there are good contenders all across the team.

As I now consider Bird a senior player, I've voted for him over Davies, Allsopp and Byrne (who has been brilliant since Christmas). Lawrence not far behind. I admire Davies' commitment but just missed out for me on some of the away performances- except Reading, which almost warrants the Player of the Season award on it's own!

For young player, I've gone for Cashin. His scores are up there every week, so consistent since he came into the team. What a start in League football. Thomson has been good in patches, took a knock to his confidence as well as his groin after Forest but will be even better next year, hope he stays.

Ebosele not learning as quick as Plange and Ebiowei, think the latter could have been a serious contender if introduced earlier in the season.

I know Davies and Bird will win the respective awards anyway, so I'm not too bothered about spreading my votes about a bit and sharing the love!

8 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

I didn’t state it as a fact, I just gave my opinion and substantiated it with some facts.

What is a fact is that Cashin has played 25% of the season and in my opinion to be a PotS you need to have played at the very least half of it!

Young Player of the season does not have to come from the 1st team though.  Often in the past it has been an academy player who has won the award, maybe on the fringes of the first team squad.  I think the fact that Cashin was due to be a 1st team squad player then was told he couldn't play, bided his time in under 23's playing consistently well and then when called upon has been magnificent for a kid of his age.  I know i sound like his agent but i believe he thoroughly deserves the accolade.

Another one in the Davies / Bird camp here. Both have played virtually every game and been incredibly consistent. Amazing really at completely different ends of the spectrum - Davies at 37 and Bird at 21. You wouldn’t expect either to be such key members of a Championship team at their ages, but we’d have stood no chance without the calmness that both being to their respective positions. Given all the chaos off the pitch, to be as calm and controlled on the pitch as they have been is incredible. Both fully deserving of recognition for their commitment to the cause.

50 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Do you take the same stance on MOTM awards?

ie, we're losing 2-0 on 70 minutes, we sub someone on who scores a hattrick, we win 3-2 but he's he can't be named MOTM because he only played 22% of the game?

What if we had a striker renowned as a 'super sub' who pretty much never started but came on at 60 minutes every game and finished the season with 15-20 goals? Are they allowed to be POTY?

Edited by Coconut's Beard

36 minutes ago, NottsRam said:

Young Player of the season does not have to come from the 1st team though.  Often in the past it has been an academy player who has won the award, maybe on the fringes of the first team squad.  I think the fact that Cashin was due to be a 1st team squad player then was told he couldn't play, bided his time in under 23's playing consistently well and then when called upon has been magnificent for a kid of his age.  I know i sound like his agent but i believe he thoroughly deserves the accolade.

Yeah that’s a fair post with some valid points.

However, I maybe in the minority here but I don’t actually think Cashin was that impressive for the 23s. He cost several goals with very poor mistakes (perfectly normal for a young defender btw) and was over ambitious with his distribution, bordering on complacent. 

I happen to think the same with Thompson and that both he and Cashin were more impressive for the 1st team than they were for the 23s.

1 minute ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Do you take the same stance on MOTM awards?

ie, we're losing 2-0 on 70 minutes, we sub someone on who scores a hattrick, we win 3-2 but he's he can't be named MOTM because he only played 22% of the game?

No I don’t. MOTM awards are much more short term and much more based on immediate impact. The PotS should be based on consistency and overall quality of their play. 

3 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Yeah that’s a fair post with some valid points.

However, I maybe in the minority here but I don’t actually think Cashin was that impressive for the 23s. He cost several goals with very poor mistakes (perfectly normal for a young defender btw) and was over ambitious with his distribution, bordering on complacent. 

I happen to think the same with Thompson and that both he and Cashin were more impressive for the 1st team than they were for the 23s.

You too make some valid points and looking at the responses i think most agree with you about Bird.  I think he has had a very good season but with about 100 first team appearances i just don't see him as as young player contender any more, more in line for the main award.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Occasionally you get the supporters awarded something in recognition of their role.

That could be the case here too.

But I also think the whole squad have been fantastic this season and that there should be a "team award".

Couldn't agree more but I think the 'team award' has been the borderline fanatical love and support from our fans, home and away. Not many of our squad will experience anything like that again elsewhere and they've certainly appeared genuinely appreciative.

Conversely, I'd like to think their response has been our reward too. Honestly, I've never seen such unity right across the club, not even close. Long may it last!  

Curtis Davies for me, for on and off the pitch, Reading away sealed it, very emotional. I’ve gone for Bird for consistency over the season for young player but I think Cashin could  have swung it with a few more appearances, maybe next year.